A more convenient way to charge the battery on my Kubota?

/ A more convenient way to charge the battery on my Kubota? #1  

mikerose

Tractor
Kubota BX-23
My BX-2350 gets used sporadically in the winter, and if if it's been too long and too cold, the battery needs a charge before I can use the tractor. Of course, it would have been too easy for them to have the battery in a spot where you can simply hook up the charger to it, nope, you've got to remove a rubber bungie cord, yank the battery out and put it on the deck in order to do this.

Has anybody come up with an easier way to charge the battery without having to do that? I'm tempted to somehow mount something that extends from the battery cable clamps to a terminal block with a cover so that I can do this conveniently, but I also want to make sure that would not cause some unexpected badness and no sense reinventing the wheel in case somebody has a better idea, thanks!

/ A more convenient way to charge the battery on my Kubota? #2  
Either go with this: charger pigtail - Google Search if all you want to do is charge which would be 2-10 amps or one of these: charger pigtail - Google Search if you intend to jump it and put the other half on the machine you plan to boost it with. Mount them both in some easy accessable spot.
An even better solution would be a maintainer, it'll add a few more years of life to your battery............Mike

/ A more convenient way to charge the battery on my Kubota? #3  
This idea I think I got from a 4shorts mod. Simply add a quick disconnect on your 'dash'. I can't find the source online at the moment but I'm sure someone will chime in.

IMG_7330.JPG IMG_9032.jpg

/ A more convenient way to charge the battery on my Kubota? #4  
I installed a pig tail off the battery. The connection extends out from under the grill and is where I connect my Deltron battery maintainer. I keep the tractor battery on the maintainer all winter.

/ A more convenient way to charge the battery on my Kubota? #5  
Some good suggestions here - it is definitely the easiest thing to do in the long term to run extra wires either from the battery to a convenient (but protected) location.
The only thing I would add is that it is generally a good idea to make sure that these new wires are protected by either a fuse or circuit breaker, as near the source of supply as is practicable.
Tractors vibrate and so eventually wires can rub through the insulation against the frame or another wire, and you then have the possibility of either arcing that can start a fire in any dust or other loose material that might be around, or a short circuit causing a wire to overheat, and start a catastrophic fire. In the years I have lived in a rural community, I have heard of too many tractors "mysteriously" burning themselves to death after some "simple" electrical work.
For a few dollars on a fuse or CB, and not much extra work mounting it, it isn't worth the risk to not protect your equipment.
On any equipment I get, I sooner or later install a circuit breaker adjacent to the battery, and run wires (double insulated) to a convenient location to mount an Anderson plug with a cover. The basic Anderson plug is rated at 50A, so you can fit something like a 20A breaker and use any sort of fast or slow charger you want, as well as access power for a spotlight, air compressor, or other 12V tool.

/ A more convenient way to charge the battery on my Kubota? #6  
Permanently mount a small battery charger with the cord accessible. Hard wired with fuze and switch. You can find other locations for contact points than the battery terminals. A desulphating charge may be the way to go.

/ A more convenient way to charge the battery on my Kubota? #7  
Got to love when they make a common thing to so such a pain.

/ A more convenient way to charge the battery on my Kubota? #8  
I brought out a pigtail with a set of anderson power poles and hook up my little solar charger. As said by others make sure it is fused.

/ A more convenient way to charge the battery on my Kubota? #9  
Try this site. NOCO - Our Products they have trickle chargers with a mount to connect to a charger with all kinds of ways to skin this cat.

/ A more convenient way to charge the battery on my Kubota? #10  
Locate the starter solenoid. It is is easily accessible, you can attach the positive battery charger clip there and then attach the negative charger clip to a clean ground.