A White Christmas Came Early

/ A White Christmas Came Early
I'm no meteorologist, but it's my understanding that it's colder up higher in the air, the snow forms up there, and falls, and while it's above freezing down here near the ground, it isn't warm enough to melt that snow before it lands. At least that sounded right to me, when I first heard it, but then why didn't it melt after landing. Everything around here (grass, roofs, etc.) is covered in snow, except (1) the pavement that was wet is still only wet, and (2) we had almost no wind this time, so there's no snow on the grass under the trees, and none right next to the house, under the 2' eaves.

/ A White Christmas Came Early #42  
Monday was sorta like that here; little wind, nice, soft snow falling... got about 4" at my place. Even a litle bit of rain/sleet, with temps hovering around 32F.

TUESDAY, however, was a different story!! They said some arctic air was headed this way, and they were right! Temp dropped all day, finally ending up around +5F. And the wind!! It must have been averaging 30, with gusts up to 45-50- all that nice soft snow blowing all over the place!

Had the woodstove going all day, never left the house. It's now just below zero, still with some wind --but not nearly as bad as yesterday-- and very clear with 3/4 of a moon up there. Supposed to "moderate" today, maybe getting up to 20, a welcome relief.

And now we learn that New Year's Eve has another snowstorm headed our way, and it looks like we'll be smack dab in its sights this time around.....!

/ A White Christmas Came Early #43  
Well fair is fair Bird,us northeast folks wanted you folks down there to have white chirstmas,and by the looks you folks are sending us white New Years.:)

Whooooo, we're lucky this morning. The temperature actually came up a little during the night; 35 to 39 in the area. I went out about 4:45 a.m. and poured about .3" of water out of the rain gauge (a new rain gauge because the Christmas Eve freeze cracked my old one), then I drove a couple of miles to a donut shop that opens at 5 a.m.; everything is wet and we still have a mist or drizzle, but no snow or ice.:)

/ A White Christmas Came Early #45  
It's 42 degrees in east TX this morning. Saw all kinds of nasty weather reports as we traveled west from MS yesterday. But it was sunny until we hit the Texas state line. Rained all the way to Eddies home town. Sure beats that white stuff and ice we left up north.

Glad you made it back to Texas, Ron.

/ A White Christmas Came Early #47  
Bird, my thermometer shows 33.6 degrees here this morning and the snow is melting even before sunrise. Here are a couple of pictures from yesterday just before 4 PM and one from Sunday when we went to see my brother. The picture of the drift is on a FM road between Gainesville and Forestburg. It will be many days before all that snow melts, but it is harmless and just looks pretty.

Bird, I'm sure you and Margaret will have no trouble going to her appt this morning. I'm also going to my daughter's house in Hurst today. We finally will have a chance to have our Christmas gift exchange. Between the snowstorms and my grandkid's work schedules, we've had some delays.:rolleyes::)

Attachments

• 29Dec2009.jpg
    29Dec2009.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 29Dec2009a.jpg
    29Dec2009a.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 42
  • DriftNearGainesville.jpg
    DriftNearGainesville.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 38
   / A White Christmas Came Early #48  
...then I drove a couple of miles to a donut shop that opens at 5 a.m. . . . .

Neither rain nor snow nor dark of night shall keep a cop from a donut shop.:D

Bird, I couldn't resist.:eek: You are perpetuating a stereotype, you know.;)

Neither rain nor snow nor dark of night shall keep a cop from a donut shop.:D

Bird, I couldn't resist.:eek: You are perpetuating a stereotype, you know.;)

Stereotype or Myth? Or maybe both? I don't know.:D

/ A White Christmas Came Early #50  
C'mon Bird,
we both know "dunk'en donuts" was on the state exam...:D:D
I passed with flying colors too....