Advice needed and appreciated.

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #1  

PSDF350

i am planning to buy a tractor uses are many.
1) small scale logging/landclearing/habitate improvement
2) moving snow piles possibly plowing/snow blowing
3) digging pulling up stumps
4) digging trenches
future uses: in 2 years we plan to sell house buy place with more land (have 5 acers now) for horses so fence building possibly haying and whatnot
plan to put about 5k down and spend with financing 30k hopfully not much more than that prefer less.
Thank you in advance

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #2  
There are many tractor brands out there and each has something that would fit the bill. What kind of tractor dealers are in your area and what are the local people using if you know. There are Kubota and Mahindra very near Richmond. Living here in New England, I'm all for the 40 HP plus range simply because of our natural rock/boulder gardens,,

/ Advice needed and appreciated.
thanks for the reply Larry! your right there is Kubota Mahindra, plus New Holland, John Deere, and Kioti. dont think i will get a New Holland even though there the closest. they just dont seem up to being in the woods. Mahindra's dont really know anything about them so a bit weary. Kioti seems like a nice machine but the dealers shop doesn't seem very big. in case of work needing done worries me a little. John Deere is a bit pricey but not ruling them out. Kubota seems nice dealer is good i was also pleased that there the only one that took time and energy to write up quotes on what i was looking at. the others just would shoot out prices which they all seem to run toghter.

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #4  
you should have many here that are or were in similar situations that can chime in and steer you in a direction..

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( you should have many here that are or were in similar situations that can chime in and steer you in a direction.. )</font>
you would think.

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #6  
I own a Grand L series L3130 with a Kubota LA723 loader with quick attach, heavy duty 72" bucket, Woods tooth bar and a 72" Woods GB72 box scrape. I also have a friend with a Kubota M5400 with a Woods 1027 loader which I operate some. My Father bought a Kubota M6800 about two years ago.
So maybe I can help you a little...probably not as much as most of the people on here...but i can try. One thing I did that helped me decide was reading the posts on here about certain projects that people did with their tractors. The other thing I did was go to my dealers and get as many different brochures as I could on tractors and attachments...in the size ranges I thought I wanted and of course, afford. I then studied the brochures for a few weeks...comparing everything as much as I could with reading material.
A Kubota M-series runs from about $18,950(M4900SD 4WD, 50hp., R1 Ag. tires, ROPS) to $38,300(M9000HDC, 4WD, Cab, 90hp., hydr. shuttle trans. with LA1251 loader, R1 tires) at Rhinehart Equipment Co. in Rome, GA.. The Grand L series runs from about $12,350(L3130DT, 31hp., R1 Ag. tires, 8X8 shuttle shift, ROPS) to around $20,000 for a L5030. I was given a quote in November 2004 for a L5030, hydro, ROPS, R1 Ag. tires at my dealer...not Rhinehart...$19,600.
For comparisons on other models I will list a couple other tractors listed in Rhinehart ads.
L2800DT, 8X2 trans., 4WD, R1(R4's add $450) $10,450

BX23TLB $14,785

M6800HD, 68hp., R4 ind. tires, 8X8 Hydr. shuttle. $22,770

These prices could be higher or lower than where you live, but it should be a rough ballpark figure.
I hate to make a post so long, so could you give more specific's on what weight, size, horsepower tractor you might be wanting to look for?
My L3130 has plenty of power for what I need it for. It is a heavy machine for its size. I like the Hydro transmission verses gear. Gear has its specific uses though, plus it costs a little less. The Grand L (31 to 50 hp) series tractors are the largest size I am aware of in the Kubota line where you can get a Hydro transmisson. In my opinion, a loader is a must. Good for all kinds of chores from hauling things around the property to digging up shrubbery and jacking up the front tires, plus digging dirt. A toothbar is also a nice feature to have on your loader.
As far as brand I think all of them are probably fine machines, so I can't say one is better than another. Kubota just had the specs. and options I was looking for. Plus I owned a grey market Kubota L1501DT hydro years ago which was a fine machine for its size and I have a Kubota ZD21 mower which I really like...no problems at all in roughly 177 hours. I did look at John Deere, New Holland, Kioti, Branson and Mahindra.
I think from what you have described so far, something between 30 to 50 hp. in a compact series with a loader, backhoe, box scrape and bush hog would suit your needs.
If you are going to be doing lots of hay work, you might look at something like the Kubota M-series tractors. Maybe this will help you a little.

Curt

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #7  
PSDF350 I bought an 05 Kubota M9000 4x4 Ultra Cab Utility with fel,bush hog and box blade. I have 82 acres and face many of the things you do. For the money you are willing to spend I don't think you can go wrong with this model. Plenty of turbo power(90hp-80 at pto). Will do any job I will throw at it on my place. The 4x4 is a blessing.Be sure to find a good dealer close by,that is half the battle.

thanks for the reply guys curt like them prices in gorgia they are definitly getting more than that around here.

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #9  
I'll throw my two cents in here. I would not rule out Kioti just because the dealer is small. I bought my Kioti DK65C from a small dealer and do not regret it at all. I get personalized attention on every request and I know I am dealing with either the owner or his son. I also get reasonable turnaround when I need repairs or warranty work (which is not very often). I reward them by purchasing most of my implements from them. I can also talk with them via email and since my land is separated from my home by about 150 miles, doing business via email is important to me.

I don't have any trees to log (heck, I only have three trees on our 16 acres, anyway), but would think the DK series would be great for logging. They are fairly heavy and can pull plenty of stuff behind it. Our DK65 helped us put in quite a bit of horse fence last year with no problems. A DK45 would probably do as well.

Can't help with the backhoe, because I rent a small excavator to do any trenching or excavating I need to do. No stump digging requried. My feeling is I would not get my money's worth out of the backhoe, because my trenching/excavating needs are relatively small.

Kioti is worth a look. In any case, make sure you are comfortable with the dealer. His aftermarket service is just as important as the purchase itself. Good tractor-hunting!

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #10  
First I'll just say.. welcome to TBN!!! I've read the "thanks for nothing" thread.. given the chance.. I don't think there is anyplace that you could go to find better information then TBN. Sorry it started out that way.

Here's my shot.. I have a TC35D w/ SS.. I believe for your land size.. a 35-45 tractor would be just the right size for the land you have.. and tasks you have at hand. Def. get an FEL.. a backhoe.. though nice.. might not be used to the extent of what the cost would be. Probably cheaper to line up all your backhoe tasks & rent a sizeable machine.

I did catch that you believe a NH might not be up to the task of logging. W/ my TC35D w/ SS (SuperSteer).. I can go where the bigger tractors can't.. I can weave in and around trees I don't want damaged... and w/ 4WD.. you can pull logs out of the woods you wouldn't think the tractor would budge. I have an 85 acre farm.. there hasn't been a tree I haven't been able to log because of the size of my tractor.

That said.. there are a lot of tractor brands out there.. w/ specs that are comparable & better.. but the best tractor can end up being a nightmare.. if you don't have a dealer to match. See what dealers are willing to spend time w/ you.. test drive some machines.. see who is willing to lend you a loaner tractor for the weekend to try out before you buy. The more test driving & tire kicking you do at the dealerships.. the happier you'll be once you have the tractor you want.. sitting in the driveway.

Hope this helps.. tractor buying is suppose to be fun! Enjoy it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif