Advice needed and appreciated.

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #32  
PSDF350,
I normally don't try and get involved in the decision that you are working on but, what the heck!
Look at and if possible try a 4320 John Deer.
I bought one and it is all I had hoped it would be and more.
You can't say that about too many things today. I did look at like size orange machines however I was more comfortable with the green. My reasons are the same ones that you hear about over and over in this forum and I don't need to go there. One thing I strongly recomend for woods work is a four in one loader bucket. I lift hickery logs 16' long and 18" at the butt and stack them in a neat pile for bucking with little apparent strain on the loader arms as long as I grab the log in the correct place balance wise. I have read here that some feel the need to add a valve to their grapple buckets because the weight of a load of brush opens the grapple when the machine is driven over rough ground. This is not the case with the JD 4 in 1 on my machine with a log not brush.
The tractor with the 400X loader and 440 Hoe along with the 4 in 1 weighs in at about #7500 LBS. This with the R-4s that I had installed is a good compromise as to traction with minimum ground damage.
Please take a look at these 4x20 machines, you won't be sorry.

/ Advice needed and appreciated.
thanks biggary i am looking at them was thinking either 4520 or 4720. yesterday i was at jd test drove a 5520 sweet tractor but a bit more than i can spend. but i will be going back up there monday to check out the 4020 series.

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #34  
PSDF350,
When I bought the cost to go from the 4320 to the 4520 was an additional $1500. What were you quoted?

/ Advice needed and appreciated.
didn't get a quote on them yet. need to go back up and test drive them and get quote.

/ Advice needed and appreciated. #36  
Saw an article in "Compact Equipment" on a company that is logging beatle infested pines in CA. They basically said that you can't beat the trac loaders on the hilly terrain for logging. I forget if they were using BobCat or Catipillar trac loaders.