Advice on repair bill....

/ Advice on repair bill.... #11  
If you don't want a $1,000 repair bill you, need to stop them now. They quoted a price to do a job and if you didn't dispute, there is no way you can argue in the end.

Overcharging or not, if the quote was agreed upon, it is the quote. If it was $2,000 in labor when you get done, that's different.

Hope it works out & the labor charge isn't that high, but if you weren't clear up front that it was too high, I don't think you should complain.

/ Advice on repair bill.... #12  
My local CAT dealer is also much higher than the local hydraulic shop I use for valves and cylinders. My CAT dealer is probably 50% higher. My Bobcat dealer charges $95/hour. I had a cylinder from Surplus center taken to my local hydraulic shop. They took that cylinder shortened it, machined new ends, changed the rod stroke and plumbed the ports differently. The cost was about $500. I removed the old cylinder and reinstalled the new on my Toolcat. A bit of a pain to remove because the machine has to be blocked up and the boom supported in up postion to remove the cylinder. The cylinder has to come out from below the TC and the cylinder is 3.5' long. I did it by driving part way up my trailer ramps with the TC and using a high lift jack to support the boom. It took me awhile to figure out how to just get the TC in the right postion. Shop manual only tells you what to do but not how to do it. 1 year later I had some work done on the TC and they found a slight leak in that cylinder seal. I needed it repaired ASAP and had them do it since the machine was already there. The repair bill for a new seal was $600. As you guessed most of it was labor. It think parts was less than $5. I had O rings replaced in a valve on my Skid steer. I could not find the leak despite looking hard but it was getting worse over 6 months. Very hard to get to valve and remove. Labor was $500 and the o ring was 36 cents.

If they quoted you $1000 for labor, then don't go ballistic when you see a bill for $1000. You already told them to fix it for that price.

/ Advice on repair bill....
If you don't want a $1,000 repair bill you, need to stop them now. They quoted a price to do a job and if you didn't dispute, there is no way you can argue in the end.

Overcharging or not, if the quote was agreed upon, it is the quote. If it was $2,000 in labor when you get done, that's different.

Hope it works out & the labor charge isn't that high, but if you weren't clear up front that it was too high, I don't think you should complain.

There was nothing in writing and he didnt say for sure how many hours it would be. I asked if he had any idea how much it would be and his words were " I would guess around 1000 in labor". With that said, I expect to be billed for how many hours it takes, not 1000 just because he guess it. If its a 15min job and they bill me for 8hrs there is a problem there regardless of what he told me up front. If im doing a dirt job by the yard and I estimate 100 yards, and then only use 80 its not right for me to charge for 100. If I figure its going to take 100 yards and give a set price based on that and it only takes 80 then I come out on top. Cat charges by the hour not the job, so they should charge me for how long it takes, not how long they thought it would take before they started.

I didnt take what he said as a "quote". I was told that it was 87 an hour and I expect to be billed for how many hours it takes. On the flip side if the said about 1000 and then it took 25hrs you can be **** sure he isnt going to let it go for 1000

/ Advice on repair bill.... #15  
You asked how much, he scratched his head and said "$1000 ?". That's as good as it gets in the heavy equipment biz. Unlike us small time operators that are either retired, semi-retired or just plain tired -> the contractors that have heavy equipment broken lose $2-500 in revenue per hour of down time. Plus, they may accrue penalties on top of the lost revenue and they still have to pay an operating engineer to sit on his butt. They would much rather have every possible bad component ripped out and replaced if that got them up right now and keep them up than save $1-2000 by detailed trouble shooting.

The commercial heavy equipment repair world is no place for the faint of heart or light of wallet! If you want to save your $$, invest in a training class and tools. It doesn't take many trips to the repair shop to equal a full tool box and a few classes from the local Vo-tech. Were I you, I would thank the man, pay the bill and take it as a lesson learned

You asked how much, he scratched his head and said "$1000 ?". That's as good as it gets in the heavy equipment biz. Unlike us small time operators that are either retired, semi-retired or just plain tired -> the contractors that have heavy equipment broken lose $2-500 in revenue per hour of down time. Plus, they may accrue penalties on top of the lost revenue and they still have to pay an operating engineer to sit on his butt. They would much rather have every possible bad component ripped out and replaced if that got them up right now and keep them up than save $1-2000 by detailed trouble shooting.

The commercial heavy equipment repair world is no place for the faint of heart or light of wallet! If you want to save your $$, invest in a training class and tools. It doesn't take many trips to the repair shop to equal a full tool box and a few classes from the local Vo-tech. Were I you, I would thank the man, pay the bill and take it as a lesson learned

I get what you guys are saying, but I just dont follow the logic. I seem to be getting the advice that since heavy equipment is expensive to repair and since most people need it repaired at all costs its okay for the guy to rip me of or over charge.

/ Advice on repair bill.... #17  
If he told you you would pay be the hour, then that's fine. But I think they had 4 hours in it already? Many of the large places are clocked on the job from the moment the work order crosses the tech's hands to the moment it's cleaned & put back outside. Including looking up parts, making the bill and everything else.

It may take an hour of work to fix the problem, but there would be extra time figuring out parts, cleaning up tools and so on.

I'm not saying that's the way yours will be, but it's not uncommon. Most shops will quote a rough price to do a job, then if it goes over, they need to justify it. Like if bolts were broken & they needed to be drilled & tapped. Stuff like that.

More and more equipment dealerships are going to flat rate as well. Then you would know up front how much a particular service would cost. It would be hard to flat rate hydraulic troubleshooting, along with electrical, but some places have a flat charge for that as well.
Good for the tech & company if it can be done quick, good for the customer if it's a tricky one.
If you have a good tech that can do a 4 hour job in 2.5, because he's done a ton of them, then he should get a little extra. I wouldn't fault him for that.

I would rather pay "by the job" than "by the hour". Then it doesn't matter if you get the quickest young guy, or the steady older guy.

/ Advice on repair bill.... #18  
No I don't think anyone is saying it's ok. For the most part, everyone here wants to see you succeed in helping yourself. The problem I see is there hasn't been any logical steps of troubleshooting on your end. You have requested, and been given, some good and practical step by steps. However, what I'm reading is that somehow, without pressure tests, you decided the valve was bad so you took it out and had it overhauled. When that didn't work, you blamed the shop that did what you asked of them. Then you decided it had to be the cylinder, out it comes. When that didn't work out, you road the machine to a different repair shop and are now questioning their unwritten repair estimate. Slow down, take a couple deep breaths, it'll be OK. May cost more than you wanted to pay but in the end run, the machine gets fixed and you (hopefully) learn some valuable lessons.

As an owner/operator i have forced myself to learn how to take things apart and put them back together. I now have big tools, O/A torches, plasma cutter, milling machine and a lathe at my disposal. I have 2 mobile mechanics on speed dial, just in case. I also have accounts at three rental stores, just in case. I have two different hydraulic shops I rely on for parts, service and help. I have accounts at places like McMaster Carr, Grainger and MSC to buy odds and ends to repair my own stuff. All of it takes time, patience and probably too much money. It's still fun for me though and until it's not, I'll keep at it.

/ Advice on repair bill.... #19  
futuresweets10

Some on here, seem to want you to take it as it is. The point to be made here is that if the people that rebuilt the valve had tested the valve completely, they would have discovered that things were not correct. I would let them know that you are dissapointed with the whole deal, and you are considering legal action if you don't get a complete break down of time , work preformed, and so called estimates. You might even challenge their trouble shooting process. I suggest that they were doing other jobs, and looking at your job when convenient. Sure the time adds up when they include lunch breaks, rest room stops, shooting the bull with friends, etc. If you have to, stop all work and order parts and do it your self.

/ Advice on repair bill.... #20  
futuresweets10

The point to be made here is that if the people that rebuilt the valve had tested the valve completely, they would have discovered that things were not correct. I would let them know that you are dissapointed with the whole deal, and you are considering legal action if you don't get a complete break down of time , work preformed, and so called estimates. You might even challenge their trouble shooting process.

How is that remotely possible ? The machine has yet to be repaired and returned to service.