AGW-Anthrogenic Global Warming

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / AGW-Anthrogenic Global Warming #81  
I submit the fact that the year 1934 is still recorded as the hottest, with CO2 levels below what they are today.

What caused this Dave?

Could it have been the sun?

Or an extra large buritto induced gas release?

Don't know for sure, I'll look into it, and get back to you.

You want scientific evidence, I'm a looking for it!

High and low.

Most data sets have anomalies in them. 1934 is probably one of them. One year hot or cold does not make a climate trend. Were burritos that popular back then? :D

I have been thinking about this and it's possible you have come up with a very strong correlation between burritos and warming. Think of all the Tex-Mex restaurants that have opened since 1934! It will probably be on Fox News tonight - 'Global Warming Mystery Solved'.
Dave.

Last edited:
   / AGW-Anthrogenic Global Warming #82  
It sounds pretentious to call oneself a "Scientist", but I do science in the sense that I do experiments and write up the results in peer reviewed journals, so....

I don't really know squat about climatology. It is on the other side of the world of science from what I do for a living. What really bothers me about the whole AGW/Climate Change controversy is what it is doing to the perception of how science is done. I've read some of the e-mails that are being used to make the case that AGW is a hoax, and they mainly show how people talk when they think they are in private. You probably don't want to know what the surgeon digging around in your chest is saying while you're out for lunch. Will he really pull your ticker out and smack that scrub nurse with it if she hands him the wrong hemostat again? Scientists are just people you know. They gossip and carp about people they think are FOS just like everyone else. I've many times commented that it sure would be nice if I didn't have to explain an anomalous piece of data which clearly didn't match the model I was working on, but I go ahead and explain it to the best of my ability anyway. Turns out there is a really big mess being uncovered right now in my area in which an investigator just made up data that was then published. It is a really, really big mess, and it is really, really big because it is also really, really rare. Scientists who make up data usually get caught. Not always, but almost always the truth comes out.

There may well be some falsified data on the side of the AGW proponents, but the vast bulk of the data still seems to support the idea. It is too bad that in this country at least, the whole topic has become a Liberal vs Conservative argument. I'm not sure what the preponderance of non-American scientists who support AGW says about this....is America truly the last bastion of conservative thought in the world?

Science can be bought. Medical and pharmaceutical research, especially, has seen a number of questionable practices due to the enormous amount of money involved. I'd be willing to bet, however, that few scientists whose work supports the reality of AGW are getting rich from their efforts. For the most part, these folks are just doing what they learned to do. Make the measurements and report the results. There is just no real mechanism in place that lets them profit from falsifying their data, even if they had that intent. At least no mechanism that spans international borders and multiple political changes here in the U.S. and elsewhere. Conspiracy theories sure are fun, though, aren't they? Roy Spencer does a good job promoting an AGW conspiracy when he is on Rush's show. He does make money by denying AGW, and no doubt there are some AGW supporters other than Al Gore who make money on that side. However, the great majority of scientists who are reporting the data and doing the calculations probably won't be buying new Mercedes this year.

Chuck

/ AGW-Anthrogenic Global Warming #84  
What really bothers me about the whole AGW/Climate Change controversy is what it is doing to the perception of how science is done.
Chuck

I agree, it is a real shame. We used to have a little more faith in the scientific process, or maybe a better understanding. We buy our kids books, send them to school. Some study one of the sciences. They publish results. When did it become so controversial? I blame a lot of it on GW Bush. He muzzled government-funded scientists for political gain. James Hansen of NASA is a prime example. Let's not forget he also had political operatives editing what scientist's published - to promote a viewpoint. In the free world, that should never happen.

Very reminiscent of the USSR I think.

To see a conspiracy behind every tree is paranoia. The Bush years strengthened that tendency. When we are not willing to go where the data takes us, we might as well call this 'Dark Ages II' and close all the universities down and burn a few witches while we wait for the next Renaissance.
Dave.

/ AGW-Anthrogenic Global Warming #85  
"Not willing to go where the data takes us"

Is that data the "tricked" data?

The "thrown out" data?

The "destroyed" data?

The "we don't have anywhere to store it" data?

I got this one.....how about a hard drive?

Whoa fellers.....I think you have got it completly backwards.

Have you read all the links posted in this thread?

The earth is in a cooling cycle, due to the sun entering a minimal output period.

What climate model correctly predicted the lack of sun spots this year?

Can anyone direct me to a link I can read about the model that said we would have a cool summer this year in the northern east coast?

Or the lack of massive hurricanes slamming into the lower east coast, specifically Florida.

The computer modelers were telling us after Katrina, just wait till next year if you thought this year was bad.

What did we have the next year? NADA

George Bush? (not exactly the sharpest pencil in the box)

Compared to the fear that Al Gore spreads????

Check your wireing, I think you have a short somewhere.

/ AGW-Anthrogenic Global Warming #86  
Politics is a prohibited topic on Tractorbynet. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.