All day making little boards out of big boards

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #81  
Cliff_Johns said:
OK, so it's been a while.

Forgive me folks, for it's been . . . well, a long time since my last post.

I had to move electrical outlets and paint and summer came etc.

Anyway, here are some photos of the right side chest installed.

Note that the baseboard hasn't been installed as yet. Still lots of work to do.

Cliff

Good Evenin Cliff,
Very nicely done ! I knew you would get it done, and it would look great when it was finished, well almost finished ! ;) We want a parting shot after everything is trimmed out ! :)

/ All day making little boards out of big boards
Hmmm. This project took longer than I thought. The library is complete now. I finished the cabinet installation, the bookshelves, and the crown moldings.

Here are some photos of the chest part first. Just to remind those of you who can't remember that many years back, I put two built-in chest of drawers in the corners and a built-in bookshelf along another wall and around the inside corner.

Here are the built-in chests first.

Cliff

Attachments

• chest_left.JPG
    chest_left.JPG
    718.5 KB · Views: 89
  • chest_right.JPG
    chest_right.JPG
    674.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    781.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    782 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    850.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    797.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    861.9 KB · Views: 68
OK, here are the photos of the bookshelves. They're 8' along one wall and 4' along the adjoining wall. Crown molding came out OK too.

Cliff

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    879.9 KB · Views: 59
I guess the photos are a bit big. Sorry about that. I've lost the knack of redoing photos for posting to TBN.
Cliff

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #85  
Cliff, Good to hear from you and glad you're OK! The library work looks great! :cool:

You first two posts the picture look fine to me. Don't be such a stranger!

Don

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #86  
Turned out beautiful, really. What finish did you use?

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #88  
Very nice, Cliff.:) What I remember about this thread is your very nice dovetail joints. Heck! I can't even make rabbit joints, much less dovetails. Your library is looking darn nice. You gave us the outside dimensions of your shelves, but how deep are they? 10"? They don't look more than 8" or 10" deep to me, but that could be an optical illusion.

Very nice, Cliff.:) What I remember about this thread is your very nice dovetail joints. Heck! I can't even make rabbit joints, much less dovetails. Your library is looking darn nice. You gave us the outside dimensions of your shelves, but how deep are they? 10"? They don't look more than 8" or 10" deep to me, but that could be an optical illusion.

The shelves are 7" deep. This holds hardcovers nicely. The deep shelving for oversize books is on a regular bookcase. These shelves are made from surfaced 2X8s. Book shelves for books doesn't need to be any deeper, they just collect dust and takes up space.

Cliff

Turned out beautiful, really. What finish did you use?

I describe the finish in more detail earlier in the thread, but it's a honey maple stain with an orange shellac finish. Easiest finish I could find that matched the woodwork in the house, and didn't cause cancer in lab rats (or smell terrible).

Cliff