All day making little boards out of big boards

/ All day making little boards out of big boards
That's a beautiful table, Scotty. Should last a couple hundred years and be passed down through the generations.

I'd wait a couple weeks before you wax it. Until you can't smell the Watco if you put your nose to the table. They changed Watco about 10 years ago and it drys differently now, so maybe it won't take quite as long as it used to.

Cliff

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #72  
Cliff_Johns said:
That's a beautiful table, Scotty. Should last a couple hundred years and be passed down through the generations.

I'd wait a couple weeks before you wax it. Until you can't smell the Watco if you put your nose to the table. They changed Watco about 10 years ago and it drys differently now, so maybe it won't take quite as long as it used to.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff,
I had to make one more post on the finish that I selected, Watco Danish Oil. Its fine for furniture thats not going to get wet but it didnt cut it on our kitchen table ! :( I probablly should have tried Hopes Tung Oil or other comprable product but I didnt. We used the table a couple of times and I was getting some marks in it allready.

I decided to go with Benjamin Moore Low Luster Poly as much as I dislike poly, you would never know that I have three coats on the table now. And I can sleep easier at night also ! ;) :)

BTW I just didnt want someone to try using that finish because they certainly wouldnt be happy with it on a kitchen table !

Attachments

• Finished3.jpg
    Finished3.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 111
   / All day making little boards out of big boards #73  
Beautiful! That is great work. Thanks for letting us enjoy it with you.

OK, so it's been a while.

Forgive me folks, for it's been . . . well, a long time since my last post.

I had to move electrical outlets and paint and summer came etc.

Anyway, here are some photos of the right side chest installed.

Note that the baseboard hasn't been installed as yet. Still lots of work to do.

Cliff

Attachments

• IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    638.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    653.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    563.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    558.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    534.9 KB · Views: 106
   / All day making little boards out of big boards #75  
That turned out great. I used to do alot of woodworking,hopefully when i get my shop finished i will get back it to it.
Shane

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #76  
That's gorgeous Cliff! First class workmanship. Will you trim it out as a built-in? Beautiful!!!

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #77  
Really nice craftmanshift. :D :D

Did you pick boards for the drawer fronts specifically?

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #78  
Wow,
Fantastic to see such craftsmanship here on TBN. I have not done much woodworking but I love to see you guys who can do it. I'm totally impressed.
Oh Cliff, that is one big pile of sh......
Great thread guys, the photos are awesome.

Thanks guys,

Egon said:
Did you pick boards for the drawer fronts specifically?

I chose the boards that were the least warped and the ones that had the most stable and tight knots for fronts and backs. I cut them, then after they sat for a few days I jointed and planned them then I picked the best ten as fronts. I did need to make sure that there were no knots too near the edges or near where I was going to put the knobs. That's about it.

I don't mind a few tight knots in pine furniture -- especially built-ins. I think it makes the piece look like it was built for utility not for beauty, which I think makes the piece look more attractive.

Cliff

/ All day making little boards out of big boards #80  
Cliff,

Simply beautiful!!! I love the way you built the sides of the cabinet. It really adds allot of character to it, along with the craftsmanship. Very nice indeed!!!!

Scotty,

I reread the thread and enjoyed your project all over again!!! Hope you are enjoying the table!!!!!

Eddie