All I ever wanted is green?

/ All I ever wanted is green? #1  

BryceSteiner

Bronze Member
Tractor
RK25 T25
The TYM T25 (RK25) is a good tractor that I bought in 2021. Was afraid to buy an older tractor because I really didn't want to deal with older problems, but I have been looking at others such as the Kioti, Branson 25-26 HP tractors. They weigh more, have more lift, without the EPA baggage. I was about to pay $25,000 for one of these that was only a couple years old. Hadn't bit the bullet because maybe a skid loader would be better. Prices were high on all the online auctions so I hadn't bit anything yet.

Well I just ran across a 1979 Deere 2040 with a front end loader, rear remotes, a lot more weight (scales show over 6000), diesel, with not that many hours, 3point quick attach (Cat 2 I think), brand new air cushioned seat, new rear tires. All less than $10k. The first owner farmer is 90 YO and wants to get something a little bigger :)
Known problems - tie rod ends need replaced - looks easy. The curl cylinder has a pin hole leak. I think I could weld that. The bucket comes off fairly easily and I think I could put on a skid steer quick attach if I wanted.

Am I crazy for thinking this what I've been looking for instead of something newer?

Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 2.37.14 PM.jpg

/ All I ever wanted is green? #2  
Newer doesn't equate to better.
Go ask the guy at the JD parts counter if he's aware of ANY PART for that 2040 that's no longer available then see if they have a water pump or radiator cap at your other 2 choices. 🤔

/ All I ever wanted is green? #3  

John Deere 2040​

John Deere 2040 tractor photo
1976 - 1982
Model year 1976-19791980-1982
2040 Series
Compact Utility tractor
Series:20402240
Production
Manufacturer:John Deere
Type:Utility tractor
Factory:Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Mechanical
Chassis:4x2 2WD
Final drives:planetary
Differential lock:mechanical rear
Steering:power
Brakes:hydraulic wet disc
Cab:Two-post Roll-Gard ROPS.
Transmission:8-speed collar shift
Tractor hitch
Rear Type: I
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm):2400 lbs
1088 kg
Dimensions & Tires
Bare Tractor Weight:4060 to 4800 pounds
John Deere 2040 Power
PTO (claimed):40 hp
29.8 kW
Drawbar (tested):32.87 hp
24.5 kW
PTO (tested):40.86 hp
30.5 kW

MORE SPECIFICATIONS:

T-B-N ARCHIVE SEARCH:

Deere 2040 site:tractorbynet.com

Last edited:
   / All I ever wanted is green? #4  
Am I crazy for thinking this what I've been looking for instead of something newer?

If 2-WD is OK for you with a Loader, go for it.

MORE: Do I need a 4 wheel drive tractor?

2-WD VS 4-WD site:tractorbynet.com

About 239,000 Deere 2040 units produced in Germany. By tractor standards this is a huge base which augers well for Deere replacement parts.

Last edited:
   / All I ever wanted is green? #5  
The TYM T25 (RK25) is a good tractor that I bought in 2021. Was afraid to buy an older tractor because I really didn't want to deal with older problems, but I have been looking at others such as the Kioti, Branson 25-26 HP tractors. They weigh more, have more lift, without the EPA baggage. I was about to pay $25,000 for one of these that was only a couple years old. Hadn't bit the bullet because maybe a skid loader would be better. Prices were high on all the online auctions so I hadn't bit anything yet.

Well I just ran across a 1979 Deere 2040 with a front end loader, rear remotes, a lot more weight (scales show over 6000), diesel, with not that many hours, 3point quick attach (Cat 2 I think), brand new air cushioned seat, new rear tires. All less than $10k. The first owner farmer is 90 YO and wants to get something a little bigger :)
Known problems - tie rod ends need replaced - looks easy. The curl cylinder has a pin hole leak. I think I could weld that. The bucket comes off fairly easily and I think I could put on a skid steer quick attach if I wanted.

View attachment 820366
What is your assessment of how well the farmer maintained his tractor? If you can still get parts and it appears to be in good condition and the seller seems to be telling you the truth about its condition, you can make a lot of repairs for the difference between his price of $10k and $25 you'd pay for a new tractor.

/ All I ever wanted is green? #6  
JD2040 worker just depends on the work you have plan.
Good set rear tire chains loaded tires or rear ballast would make BIG differents.

/ All I ever wanted is green?
If 2-WD is OK for you with a Loader, go for it.
Yes. That really is a big consideration. The TYM that I have now is 4WD and it works well. The JD is not but I don't think it will be a big problem.

/ All I ever wanted is green? #8  
I don't think you are crazy. Looks like it's in good shape, good parts support, easy to work on and reliable.
Funny how everyone today thinks you need 4WD. Farmers seemed to survive doing everything for 100 years with 2WD. It's all about ballast. And I'm sure you're up there with those wheel weights especially if the tires are loaded too.

/ All I ever wanted is green? #9  
I wouldn't mind having that Ford F600 that is behind it either!

/ All I ever wanted is green?
JD2040 worker just depends on the work you have plan.
Good set rear tire chains loaded tires or rear ballast would make BIG differents.
yes. This comes with 2 sets of large wheel weights.
I was able to drive it home several miles. It works very well!