All I ever wanted is green?

/ All I ever wanted is green? #21  
yes. This comes with 2 sets of large wheel weights.
I was able to drive it home several miles. It works very well!
So if you drove it home does that mean you bought it? That is a great find and looks to be well taken care of.

/ All I ever wanted is green?
So if you drove it home does that mean you bought it? That is a great find and looks to be well taken care of.
Yeah. I went ahead and purchased it. I didn't think I could go wrong at that price.
I was concerned about the shifting since I had only ever driven a hydrostat tractor. Once I got on it and figured it out I didn't have any problems. Seems to shift fine. It has a more positive indent on shifting than the TYM does. Sometimes on the TYM it's a takes a bit to get it in and out of H or L (or 4WD) but so far the JD shifted positiviely. You just have to give it a good push in the right direction, but it went in every time. It has sturdier feel on the shifting since it's not made out of plastic.

/ All I ever wanted is green? #23  
Yeah. I went ahead and purchased it. I didn't think I could go wrong at that price.
I was concerned about the shifting since I had only ever driven a hydrostat tractor. Once I got on it and figured it out I didn't have any problems. Seems to shift fine. It has a more positive indent on shifting than the TYM does. Sometimes on the TYM it's a takes a bit to get it in and out of H or L (or 4WD) but so far the JD shifted positiviely. You just have to give it a good push in the right direction, but it went in every time. It has sturdier feel on the shifting since it's not made out of plastic.
You will get use to the gears. But as a new gear tractor driver I will give you some advice.

1. Whenever you push in the clutch always do it with the engine idled down. They don’t last long being clutched at high RPM or under a load.

2. I am fairly certain that model does not have synchronized gears. So with it you select the gear you need to be in and ease off off the clutch. You don’t have to start off in 1st and shift out like a car. Once the tractor is moving and your foot is off the clutch, you can raise the RPMs as high as you want. The clutch can take it.

3. Don’t ride with your foot on the clutch. Always put your foot on the floorboard after you get going.

If you follow this advice that clutch will last a very long time. Congratulations on a nice JD!

/ All I ever wanted is green? #24  
YES, last post is totally correct. Put it in high range, high gear and slowly let off clutch and get to flying. Take it easy with the loader..... you can over do it

/ All I ever wanted is green?
You will get use to the gears. But as a new gear tractor driver I will give you some advice.

1. Whenever you push in the clutch always do it with the engine idled down. They don’t last long being clutched at high RPM or under a load.

2. I am fairly certain that model does not have synchronized gears. So with it you select the gear you need to be in and ease off off the clutch. You don’t have to start off in 1st and shift out like a car. Once the tractor is moving and your foot is off the clutch, you can raise the RPMs as high as you want. The clutch can take it.

3. Don’t ride with your foot on the clutch. Always put your foot on the floorboard after you get going.

If you follow this advice that clutch will last a very long time. Congratulations on a nice JD!
That is pretty much what I did. I've never really ridden a clutch even on a car. I will keep these to remind me. Thanks!

/ All I ever wanted is green? #26  
As far as I'm concerned, the 2X40 series tractors are the best "small" tractors ever made. I have owned 3 - 2940, 2440, and 2240. 2940 had over 10,000 hrs on it when we sold it to the farmer next door (he still uses it to run the grain augers) when we got out of full-time farming in the mid 2000's. 2440 had close to 7,500 hrs on it. Still have the 2240 (w/ 145 loader) with around 1,500 hrs on it. These things were built to last. The only real repairs we ever had to make on them was to rebuild some of the seals on the hydraulics after they started leaking down a little more than normal, but for a machine that's 40ish years old and 10,000 hrs that should be expected. For comparison, I also own a 2004 JD 2210 and my brother-in-law has a newer 1025R. The convenience of compact hydrostatic tractors certainly has its advantages, but when the snow piles up or trees need moving, the 2240 does the job way better.

Just my $0.02.