Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Am I making the right choice????

/ Am I making the right choice????
If the tractor is already at the property, you have to get to it before you can plow. If not, you have to get it there and leave the truck and trailer somewhere until you clear a path. If you have to bring the tractor with you to plow, just get the truck plow, but driving with a plow isn't fun.

I assume the tractor option means removing the FEL to mount a JD Plow... if so, just get a front mounted snow blower... it can tackle anything. If you don't mind running backwards, get a 3 PT Snow Blower and keep the FEL on it. You can get a purpose built Loader Arm mounted snow plow for well under $4,400, even included adding a diverter valve for power angle.

Everything is at the property. I built a barn a couple of years back to store all the equipment.
I would only have to remove the bucket to switch over to a FEL mounted plow. From JD, $3,100 for plow with hydros. About $500 for the v bar chains. And $300 for a canopy to give me a little protection during snowfall. Add tax around $4,400.

Going back to the thread title. You haven't made a choice.

I think the original choice, my 3/4 ton with a plow, is going to win. My FIL plow is like brand new, my truck is in good shape, and As I get older, the thought of plowing inside a heated truck is appealing.

/ Am I making the right choice???? #23  
So you still haven't made a choice? :)

/ Am I making the right choice???? #24  
Buy an old truck plow and have a welder attach is to a SSQA plate (assuming your JD uses SSQA). I’m one of the “very special” with a plow and blower on an open station tractor. Built my plow for a few hundred bucks. Just bundle up when I use the blower!

_DSC0556.JPG _DSC0555.JPG

Last edited:
   / Am I making the right choice???? #26  
I think the original choice, my 3/4 ton with a plow, is going to win. My FIL plow is like brand new, my truck is in good shape, and As I get older, the thought of plowing inside a heated truck is appealing.

Make it so, warm vehicle and tunes is a good thing. Non-cab tractor can be brutal which is why I will never go without a plow on my truck if possible. Remote starter is also a plus. I will use my tractor if it's nice out and I have the time. More often it ends up being around midnight with winds blowing. I can do 2 driveways in maybe a quarter of the time as the tractor but my tractor is small.

/ Am I making the right choice???? #27  
That is an option that I never really thought of. But I would still need to clear an area to pull vehicles off the road. Especially if there is a large amount of frozen road snow left over from the town plows.
Pay a local every other storm to clean you a parking spot by the end of the driveway. Or to do the whole thing. In all reality in a 2ft snow storm that sits on your driveway for more than a few days is going to be so rock solid your going to spend hours trying to clean it off. And for what...to park your car closer to the cabin. Il assume your there to snowmobile anyway.

Pay a local every other storm to clean you a parking spot by the end of the driveway. Or to do the whole thing. In all reality in a 2ft snow storm that sits on your driveway for more than a few days is going to be so rock solid your going to spend hours trying to clean it off. And for what...to park your car closer to the cabin. Il assume your there to snowmobile anyway.

The cabin is a 1/4 mile away from the road and a 240’ elevation to reach it. Can’t be done from the bottom up after a storm without large machines. Even my neighbors JD 310 TLB slid down the slope trying to plow from the bottom up.

We use it for hunting season through the middle of December. So, I would like access to the cabin and barn with my vehicle. We also have other family and friends come during hunting season that need access.

We would have to shuttle everyone and their gear up and down with snowmobiles which could be done but might get old.

/ Am I making the right choice???? #29  
It may be better for you to purchase a small used snow cat for this as you
will have plenty of room to carry supplies and people and you will be able to
use it for a longer period every year.

/ Am I making the right choice???? #30  
Your cheapest option is still $3k and requires your equipment, time and fuel. $3k can go a long way to pay aomeone to plow for the few storms betwen nov-dec. Then dont plow it.

Have you priced out what someone would charge you to plow it?

A backhoe is hardly a snow moving machine. There really not good at hills.

I plow with a k3500 and one of my driveways is steeper than what your saying. I plow from the bottom up. How ever it is one that i need to plow every storm. If it freezes to the road surface its very hard to plow.