Snow An observation from the deep south.....

/ An observation from the deep south..... #51  
I wish I could find some Canadian geese to educate the 26 that are using my pond year round. We started out 4 years ago with 2 pair who nest on a small island in the middle of our bass pond. They stay year round and so have their offspring. We now have at last spring count 26 adults who only migrate between our ponds and neighbors and get really loud in the spring with their incessant honking.
On another subject, I think I now know why diesel is going up so high, no one used it for heating and the oil companies have an abundant supply so now they need to sell it to make the same profit on a smaller amount of sale. Shame on you guys from up north for not using your share of fuel so the prices would stay low or at least lower.

/ An observation from the deep south..... #52  
I wish I could find some Canadian geese to educate the 26 that are using my pond year round. We started out 4 years ago with 2 pair who nest on a small island in the middle of our bass pond. They stay year round and so have their offspring. We now have at last spring count 26 adults who only migrate between our ponds and neighbors and get really loud in the spring with their incessant honking.
On another subject, I think I now know why diesel is going up so high, no one used it for heating and the oil companies have an abundant supply so now they need to sell it to make the same profit on a smaller amount of sale. Shame on you guys from up north for not using your share of fuel so the prices would stay low or at least lower.

We used only 122 gallons of HHO between 12/23 and yesterday. No other heat source.

/ An observation from the deep south..... #53  
I do miss the occaisional cold snap this year. They're always good for keeping the invasive species in check. A good, deep frost or three also undoes a lot of near surface soil compaction.

/ An observation from the deep south..... #54  
I heard the Canada geese are no longer listed as endangered. Beautiful birds, if they're not poopin' on your yard. One of my magical memories is of being on a ridge in my parent's woods as a teenager, cutting oak with a bow saw on a crisp, clear day. About 5 degF and not so much as a rumour of wind. I was stripped down to a tee shirt and took a break to light up a smoke. I was enjoying the absolute silence in the woods as a Vee of 12 or so Canada geese passed directly overhead, just above the tree tops. No flapping, just gliding. I could just hear the air passing over their wings.

Anyone know any good goose recipes?

/ An observation from the deep south..... #56  

Gary might talk to the Mayor of North Little Rock Understand they are covered with Geese on the Golf course. hard to see the ball with all the white wash.

What day was winter in your area . Missed it here because was busy.
ken

/ An observation from the deep south..... #57  
I just read in the news that this past January was the 4th warmest on record, since records had been kept. Global warming anyone???

The tree's are starting to bud out and bloom already!

And you'll never hear the global warming media talking about how the solar storms contributed to that ether...

A tree's cycles is based on the length of daylight, not so much hot or cold. The winter solstice was on December 22, 2011, its almost 6:00PM before it gets dark here now.

/ An observation from the deep south..... #59  
And you'll never hear the global warming media talking about how the solar storms contributed to that ether...

A tree's cycles is based on the length of daylight, not so much hot or cold. The winter solstice was on December 22, 2011, its almost 6:00PM before it gets dark here now.

Whatever the cause it's warmer than it used to be. Took a trip out into the back field and woods to see where a neighbor was cutting his trees. 4" hard crusty snow all the way with puddles forming from the melt. Drove the tractor back. A foot of snow should have been there at the least.

But I have to say that I enjoy the milder winters. 36 right now and the sun is shining with a little wind.

/ An observation from the deep south..... #60  
*What is the price differnce between off road and fuel oil?

I've scaled back my purchase amounts to just over 200 gallons per fillup. That's for tractor and some pickup use around the farm.

Generally, that will last about 2 months - give or take - if alot of snow or during hay season; less.

Difference between the pump price in town and fuel oil delivered to my place is just over a $1.00. Something like $1.03 - $1.04. Town is $4.69 and fuel oil is $3.64. Borough sales tax will bump the final price up a bit.

AKfish

And, yes that's my understanding as well regarding USLD. It's all the same now. Fuel oil, on-road, off-road - no difference. (Except the additives for some uses.)