Another DIY Cab...MF GC2600

/ Another DIY Cab...MF GC2600
Yep that looks like a real sweet setup. How are the doors built? Does the whole side open up with a hinge on the front left? What kind of hinges and latches did you use? Thanks too for the link to the tubing... that could come in handy.

Thanks, yes the entire side opens up hinged from the front. The hinges are Stanley non-mortised hinges which close into themselves for surface mounting. The aluminum was not strong enough to hold metal screws as tight as I liked so I drilled through and used one nut and bolt per hinge and it's solid and tight now. The latch is just a storm door latch/pull for up to 1" thickness which obviously works well with 1" tubing. I couldn't find the shape I wanted in black so, as you can see, settled for white with intentions of painting it black at some point. The latch system work very well, better than I expected.

I just wanted to provide one extra piece of info but can't edit a post anymore so have to post again. One of my objectives for the cab was to keep it as close to 100 pounds as possible. This cab is for winter snowblowing purposes only and for removal purposes the lighter the better, obviously. The final cab weighs 135 pounds, a little more than I envisioned but still very light for a hard shelled cab and easily removed in about 15 minutes by myself.

I'm still planning on modifying the shape somewhat to something depicted in the second picture below.

Attachments

• as is.JPG
    as is.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 606
  • new cab.JPG
    new cab.JPG
    457.4 KB · Views: 785
   / Another DIY Cab...MF GC2600 #33  
I just wanted to provide one extra piece of info but can't edit a post anymore so have to post again. One of my objectives for the cab was to keep it as close to 100 pounds as possible. This cab is for winter snowblowing purposes only and for removal purposes the lighter the better, obviously. The final cab weighs 135 pounds, a little more than I envisioned but still very light for a hard shelled cab and easily removed in about 15 minutes by myself.

Did your tractor run into an Amish buggy?

Naw, just kidding. It looks great. I would have to have an easily removable cab too and weight is a big part of that. How do you remove it? In sections? I have thought about an integrated lifting eye in the top or something similar.
Dave.

Did your tractor run into an Amish buggy?

Excellent, a functional bare bones cab is what I was going for.:thumbsup:

I would have to have an easily removable cab too and weight is a big part of that. How do you remove it? In sections? I have thought about an integrated lifting eye in the top or something similar.
Dave.

I strap on to the three light brackets (two in front one in back) and hoist it off for ease but the whole unit can also easily be lifted off by hand and carried around with two people (one being an 11 year old daughter).