Another "idiot neighbor" thread...

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread...
Thanks all for the comments/thoughts.

Tallyho8 hit most of it on the head : "Richard, I think just writing about this situation helped relieve some of the tension that you have about this idiot."

This had just happened as I was coming home so I came straight here to ask. I was in the 'heat of the moment' (pretty heated dude, aren't I :rolleyes: ) lol

Just to clear the other thoughts up...

"wresting with the pig", yep already knew that and it crossed my mind, still good words of wisdom!

For the cows 'trespassing', don't misunderstand me... these are (or were) his cows but they were not on our land, they weren't even near our land at the time... they were actually on the road we have to use to get out of here (dead end road, that is kind of a single lane) There is no way around an obsticle that's on this road (or many of the narrow roads here) so as I or anyone leaves for work, if there are 3 cows meandering down the road, it's a road block. This happened probably a couple thousand feet from the border of the farm (ours).

We don't have any livestock although the farm use to. I don't know the condition of any of 'our' fences or even if all of them are there.

For the hay bills... that's water under the bridge, besides, that's my FIL's issue, for all I know, the idiot guy might have said that his cutting the farm would be payment and FIL agreed... (he doesn't always remember all of the details so I'm still only 90% on this one)

Back to cows & accidents... if anyones cow is on any public road then the owner of said cow would have some liability if there was a (legitimate) accident... now....question.... how do you prove the cow is theirs?

Oh, and why the trash really bothers me? I'm one of the folks who will stop (when on my backhoe) and try to keep it all either picked up OR kept to a minimum as much as I can. There are others who will do the same from time to time but to catch one of the creators of this red handed AND to find out it was a freaking neighbor who lived here.... was just beyond my belief. I wonder what the inside of his home looks like.

I thought it was bad enough fighting some of the punks who drive out here (booze, drugs, trash, other...) but to find out a local is helping them trash the area......:mad:

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #12  
I'm familiar with the area and the folks around where you live...not the particular folks, but the type, since I grew up close to there. My younger brother still lives fairly close to you, and I expect he would tell you more-or-less what I am about to propose. You have three options. You can save up your money and buy him out. Since you seem to have more than the usual number of neighbor problems, while buying him out you might like to go ahead and buy all the remaining private land in your area and fence it in. Two, you can sell out and find an area with better neighbors, or at least with neighbors more to your liking. Three, you can learn to live with the various inconveniences associated with living near rednecks. One of the things that always bugged me most about some of my fellow Tennesseans was their propensity for creating trash and distributing it all over what should be some of the prettiest land on earth. While the area around Tellico lake is considerably more gentrified than it was before TVA stole all that land and re-sold it to non-rednecks, the rednecks persist. We are harder to dislodge than cockroaches. Some of us rednecks can be fine neighbors; some can be real PITAs. Not all rednecks are created equal. That's probably a fair statement about most other groups, too.

I do sympathize with you. It would be great to only have neighbors who do not cause problems for you. At present, I seem to be in that happy situation, but it can always change. A story to illustrate redneck interactions: My brother likes to ride his bicycle along some of the country roads near his place. I guess that makes him a redneck of the other kind to some extent. Anyway, there is one house near his that is home to a fairly aggressive large dog that likes to chase cars, bikes, little old ladies, etc. Brother was chased once by the dog in full view of the owner, and knew he wouldn't get anywhere remonstrating with said owner, so next time he went that way he carried a little 22 pistol loaded with snake shot. No more chasing by dog, and owner had no real problem with the solution. Of course, both brother and owner are rednecks and recognized each other as such.

Chuck

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #13  
He is probably dumb enough to put his mail in the trash. I'd be a good neighbor and pick up the trash, take it home and then answer every piece of junk mail. who knows what else I might learn from his trash. I would have some fun.

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #14  
Good Morning Richard,
I thought I needed to make a followup post on your thread ! To begin with I certainly hope you dont think I was trying to make light of your situation, by the comment about buying a Mack truck, refering to this guy pulling out in front of you all the time ! ;) Really just trying to add a little levity to a bad situation !

Secondly Ive allways felt that I can talk with just about anyone ! To reason with someone is something totally different, I realise that, but Ive allways felt its worth an attempt. If it doesnt work well what was the harm ! I dont know the total situation you have down there, and I dont think anyone else who responded to your thread does either ! I believe in my original post that I advocated getting down to his level temporarily. Maybe I should revise that statement. To go talk with someone about an issue thats troubling to you, and talk with this fella on his level, doesnt really bring you to his level! I think it makes you a better person to resolve an issue before the law gets involved ! I stand by that statement. Im also cognizant of the fact that this method will not allways work, simply because there are a bunch of people out there that can not be reasoned with.

I hope this post more accurately portrays my feelings on this subject !
I also wanted to add that I know you had one brief encounter with this guy but Im not sure that constituted as a real conversation, I think your the only one that knows that !
Lastly good luck with this situation Richard !

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #15  
"how much land do you own" he demanded to know

Not really thinking about what an idiot I was facing, I didn't state what I was really thinking (it's no matter how much land I own) I wanted to be respectful and polite...

"mmmm..... maybe 4 acres" I said

"Well, I own 350 acres, so don't "screw" (not what he really said :eek:) with me"

I was at a county planning meeting not long ago while some local "redneck" farmers were presenting their feelings/beliefs to the elected officials. I was both shocked and enlightend at the same time to hear "one acre, one vote!"

:eek:

....seems not all people are created equal in redneck country.....

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #16  
I was at a county planning meeting not long ago while some local "redneck" farmers were presenting their feelings/beliefs to the elected officials. I was both shocked and enlightend at the same time to hear "one acre, one vote!"

:eek:

....seems not all people are created equal in redneck country.....

When you think about it, we had to pass laws to protect the farms from urban sprawl as well as city folks moving to the country on little building lots. A farmer could be working his 500 acre family farm the same way for generations and then some day his neighbor sub-divides his land and he has a little development move in next door who opposes his farming practices. Now, these guys with their little postage stamp building lots out number the farmer so before the laws were passed to protect the right to farm they had a strong chance to win in court and waste the farmers time and money protecting his livelyhood.

I do not see any fair way to really address the situation but someone who rents their appartment in town has just as much right to vote as a farmer who owns 25000 acres. Both their votes count the same even though the farmer owns a considerable chunk of land. Does it seem fair? I don't think so but then again I don't see any alternative either short of a weighted vote system which would be complicated and cause a lot of problems so we keep the same system we have used for years.

Generally speaking it is never a problem but the problems start when you get a couple new guys come into an area and want that area to be like they are use to. But then again you have land owners who think they are above the law and they are just as bad.

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #17  
Are you friends with any other neighbors?

Take out a subscription and put 'idiots' name on magazine and neighbors address so it will go there. I will leave it to the imagination as what kind of magazine it could be, maybe something that is a promotion that has to come in a brown wrapper. Also name and address will be sold to other companies as a contact for people of 'like interests'. One neighbor gets it and brings it to the 'correct' address. Will be the talk of the bar for months.

Get one of those rubber stamps with 'idiots' name and address. Go to state fair (or any large vendor venue), stop at every booth and sign up for whatever is availabe, esp any insurance or expensive water treatment or anyone that would put the name on a master list for resale of names of contacts. This is a gift that will keep giving for years!! I know it is not fair to the companies but i have to deal with enough junk mail and they do not seem to mind sending it out when i do not like (want) it anyway!!

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #18  
Thanks all for the comments/thoughts.

Tallyho8 hit most of it on the head : "Richard, I think just writing about this situation helped relieve some of the tension that you have about this idiot."

This had just happened as I was coming home so I came straight here to ask. I was in the 'heat of the moment' (pretty heated dude, aren't I :rolleyes: ) lol

Just to clear the other thoughts up...

"wresting with the pig", yep already knew that and it crossed my mind, still good words of wisdom!

For the cows 'trespassing', don't misunderstand me... these are (or were) his cows but they were not on our land, they weren't even near our land at the time... they were actually on the road we have to use to get out of here (dead end road, that is kind of a single lane) There is no way around an obsticle that's on this road (or many of the narrow roads here) so as I or anyone leaves for work, if there are 3 cows meandering down the road, it's a road block. This happened probably a couple thousand feet from the border of the farm (ours).

We don't have any livestock although the farm use to. I don't know the condition of any of 'our' fences or even if all of them are there.

For the hay bills... that's water under the bridge, besides, that's my FIL's issue, for all I know, the idiot guy might have said that his cutting the farm would be payment and FIL agreed... (he doesn't always remember all of the details so I'm still only 90% on this one)

Back to cows & accidents... if anyones cow is on any public road then the owner of said cow would have some liability if there was a (legitimate) accident... now....question.... how do you prove the cow is theirs?

Oh, and why the trash really bothers me? I'm one of the folks who will stop (when on my backhoe) and try to keep it all either picked up OR kept to a minimum as much as I can. There are others who will do the same from time to time but to catch one of the creators of this red handed AND to find out it was a freaking neighbor who lived here.... was just beyond my belief. I wonder what the inside of his home looks like.

I thought it was bad enough fighting some of the punks who drive out here (booze, drugs, trash, other...) but to find out a local is helping them trash the area......:mad:

Richard I think I would have reacted exacly like you did. All kinds of scenerios, what can I do to get him back for DUMPING TRASH ON THE ROAD. I feel that offence does deserve capital letters. It is so thoughless and self centered. What kind of people liter AND in thier own neighborhood. But also like you I would ahve cooled off a bit afer blowing off steam. Th best part of the situation is now you know. Now you know exactly what kind of individual you are living near. You know Richard every dog has his day. His day will come one day and in the meantime you know much more about him than he knows about you. It may be a long long time but I bet one day legally you will get your satisfaction. You ahve time on your side just be patient. He will be around again one day and you will have the upper hand.

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread...
You know Richard every dog has his day. His day will come one day and in the meantime you know much more about him than he knows about you. It may be a long long time but I bet one day legally you will get your satisfaction. You ahve time on your side just be patient. He will be around again one day and you will have the upper hand.

Ya know something Rox.... you know me FAR better than you might have realized!!

(insert Vincent Price voiced "muahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa")

:D

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #20  
I've had a few over the years...

They have either died, were killed or are in prison!

Kind of what goes around, comes around?

It just took awhile for the law to catch up with the two that are now in prison... tax evasion for one and theft for the other.

The one that was killed was somehow involved with illegal drugs...