Another "idiot neighbor" thread...

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #21  
I know in my state the Sheriff is the one that takes care of loose livestock.

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #22  
We live at the end of a road. Four the end of the road to where the state owns and maintains is about a half mile. Of the half mile we about a 1/4 mile, and the rest is owned by five other families. Where our road goes from gravel to pavement is a house. They people living in this house like to just pull out of their drive without looking. They HIT one of my neighbors one day. Think of the odds. There are 9 drivers living past this driveway and the nut job manages to hit one of the 9. She almost hit my wife one morning.

In my county if livestock is on your land you can capture and hold the animal. One calls the county and they come out and take the animal. They then contact the owner and tell them that the county is holding the livestock. I believe the county charges a fee for taking care of the animal as well as a fine. It ain't cheap. A neighbor of mine at a different property was having problems with an idiot who owned sheep. The idiot had no fences but he was a lawyer as he like to tell everyone as often as possible. The sheep got caught, the lawyer got contacted, and fee/fined. Fence got built.

I do believe that you do reap the seeds you sow. It just can take some time. :D

I once dated a girl who spent two years in Japan teaching English. She had a loud party one night that disturbed the lady next door. The lady next door pounded on the wall but the party continued. The next day the lady knocked on the GF's door. The lady had a basket of fruit. Fruit baskets ain't cheap in Japan. She gave the fruit basket to the GF and and apoligized for HER behavior the night before. This act totally SHAMED my GF who never disturbed the neighbor again. :D

Not sure how you can shame your neighbor he sounds like a twit. Maybe bag up the trash you see him toss on the road and put it on is door step with a note saying you found his trash on the road and figured you might want it back. I doubt he will be shamed but who knows.

Another one of ours neighbors who has more money and arrogance the sense has his garbage picked up by a company. Best I can tell they are the only ones in the area that have this done since the garbage drop off is near the only two place to get groceries. The neighbors drive past the garbage drop off twice a day. It is VERY convenient to say the least. They have one big garbage can but need at least two. The lid is never shut on said can and trash blows out all of the time. They also stack garbage next to the can and it blows around as well. These are two college educated people with high paying jobs so you would think they would know better. They don't. Most of the trash blows back on their land so I just leave it alone. Its kinda funny.

These people do not have a good reputation around here. I think they now have problems getting contractors to work on their land. A neighbor calls them the aquaintences. Your reap what you sow.

Later,
Dan

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #23  
As one of my old bosses used to say " There's no use getting in a pi**in contest with a skunk. Even if you win nobody smells worth a dam when it's over."

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #24  
I've always held fast to the saying, "Time wounds all heals" and it does. Just wait it out and you'll see him get his some day.

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #26  
1. Father in law: Let this guy "hay" the farm for several years as long as FIL was paid a certain amount. This went on for 5/7 (dunno) years and the guy was always telling FIL "Don't worry...I know I owe you, I just don't have it on me right now...I'm not forgetting about you"

Of course, over the years, he's never paid. I always thought this was a bit of an embellishment story from my FIL.

Richard, I don't want to be insensitive, but your FIL is at least part of the problem. My father was a horrible businessman. He bankrupted his insurance business being "good and tolerant" to people. Once identified as a sucker, he was taken to the cleaners by some of the most prominent businessmen in our little town.

But in case you think it was only "fat cats" who took advantage, the same thing happened when he opened a trailer park. His lot fees were the cheapest in town and he always had problems getting people to pay rent. In the 30 years he owned the park, he never evicted a single person. When he passed away, I inherited a business in a shambles.

So, you can sit back and let this ogre go about his usual business or you can do something about it. If you let him continue, you can fool yourself into thinking he will come upon some deserved reward, but most likely he will just continue to oppress and make you miserable. You have to decide if taking the trouble to report him and document any illegal activity is more trouble than putting up with his breaking the law: driving, tresspassing, littering. Most likely if you don't have cooperation of the community, you'll just have to get used to it. Also, when you get him in a pinch, be ready for him to whine and cry like he is the victim. It happens every time.:)

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #27  
Never argue with an Idiot -- they only drag you down to their level and win by experience and to the impartial observer it becomes hard to tell the difference:p:p
Just avoid him -- some day you will have the opportuntiy to politely refuse to p**s on him when he is on fire:rolleyes:

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #28  
Bottom line there is nothing you can do and he knows it.

I tend to handle matters like this "stealthy" but it's too late you already spoke to him.

Any further contact or confrontation will only escalate the situation, and some WILL end up getting hurt either monetary or physically. By what you explained the guy is a nut hands down and dealing with a nut isn't worth sleeping with one eye open or wondering if your house will burn down while you are away on vacation.

Let this mad dog lie, you will never ever make peace with this nut, don't even bother trying.

I know you wanna hear open a cold one for me as you bite into that prime rib from his cow, but he'll end up owning your house and land.

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #29  
I play the Highland bagpipes and when I first moved into my current home, there was one neighbor who was not fond of the sound (I should point out that these same people live in a structure that is in violation of a deed restriction on their land, but that's another story for another time).

I'll be the first person to admit that sometimes when I'm breaking in a new reed, or spending time fine-tuning before a performance, the sound isn't very melodious. But there would be other times when I'm playing tunes that they would yell out their window or turn up their stereo, neither of which I could hear when I'm playing.

When I stopped playing, they stopped their noise, too.

I just laughed, but felt sorry for the other neighbors who heard both sounds. :eek:

Fast forward about a decade and now folks say that they have missed hearing me play as often (lots of rain, and tractor time instead). One even said that she like hearing my bagpipes more than the wood chipper. :rolleyes::D

Jay

/ Another "idiot neighbor" thread... #30  
Never mud wrestle with a pig. You'll lose and the pig likes it.

By far the best advice so far and it happens to be the first post after yours. This guy sounds stereotypical of a redneck. Violence, brawn and little wit seem to be the norm, not the exception. I'm not saying all rednecks are stupid, but it sure seems that way most of the time.

I wouldn't recommend pissing him off, it'll only bring you heartache. Guys like that will throw roofing tacks in your driveway, feed your dog(s) biscuits full of rat poison, shove a tater up your tailpipe, pour sugar in your diesel tank, etc. Someone mentioned burning your house down while you're away...I'd be worried more that he'd burn it down with my family in it.

From what you say, he probably didn't buy that land, it was inherited. That being said, he has been around there all his life and feels like everyone else is an outsider. Just ignore the idiot and call the police if he does anything that's illegal and can be PROVEN without a doubt. However, be wary because he and the Sheriff may be fishin' buddies. I'd probably go with state police instead of local law enforcement.

Podunk