Another Mini-Dozer

/ Another Mini-Dozer #92  
First your work looks very good, and your tracks look very good,

but I have a question, has any one ever cut the side wall down on a tractor tire and stretched it over two air filled tires to use as a tracks? and if so how did it work?

BHD, good idea. I was wondering the same thing.

Bob D.

/ Another Mini-Dozer
If its painting time then you must be getting close. Hopefully you can put it to work before the snow flies. Or does it snow where you are at?

Chris

It doesn't usually snow that much here in NE Okahoma, but last year we had quite a bit. Unfortunately, we have more ice storms than we do snow.
If I was still in NW Indiana, where I was born and lived the first 24 years of my life, I'd probably be building a monster snow blower right about now. :D
The last few days , my garage has had a cloud of yellow mist billowing from the doorways....

Attachments

• Mini-Dozer (35).jpg
    Mini-Dozer (35).jpg
    416 KB · Views: 3,075
  • Mini-Dozer (36).jpg
    Mini-Dozer (36).jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 2,397
  • Clutch Levers.jpg
    Clutch Levers.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 1,878
  • Mini-Dozer (84).jpg
    Mini-Dozer (84).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,437
   / Another Mini-Dozer #95  
Man, thats gonna look like a factory job. Great work.

/ Another Mini-Dozer
Any clear on that?

Looks good

I don't know if you're asking if anyone was clear on what I meant by: "a yellow mist was billowing.." or are you asking if I'm going to put a "clear coat finish" on it, so I'll try to answer it both ways. What I meant was, I was spraying paint the last few days and when I do, I usually manage to really fog up the place. Being a novice painter, I suppose I am either thinning the paint too much or I've got the pressure turned up too high or both. The other answer is: If it performs like I hope, I might just put a clear coat finish on it later.

Attachments

• Actuator Bracket.jpg
    Actuator Bracket.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1,517
  • Blade A-Frame.jpg
    Blade A-Frame.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,524
  • Blade Back.jpg
    Blade Back.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,534
  • Blade.jpg
    Blade.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,540
   / Another Mini-Dozer #97  
That's looking great. Yellow is one of the hardest colors to apply properly. When I was model making in my teens, I found that out the hard way about yellow being tough to apply over anything but a white primer.

I've had some parts powder coated yellow too, and although the process is different than painting, the coverage and see through problems are common to the color.

/ Another Mini-Dozer #98  
It looks beautiful. I would just be wishing for hydraulic hieght and angle....
WHat do you think the pushing capacity and usefullness of it will be? I wonder how much traction those tracks will have! Cool, Curious!

/ Another Mini-Dozer
A few more photos.... note that final track assembly has rotating sleeves on pins to help reduce friction and extend life of track (no, they are not heat treated at this time :( ).

Attachments

• Track.jpg
    Track.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 2,696
  • Bearing Bracket.jpg
    Bearing Bracket.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 1,627
  • Chain Gaurds.jpg
    Chain Gaurds.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,285
  • Top Cover.jpg
    Top Cover.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,198
   / Another Mini-Dozer #100  
Man this has got to be the coolest project I have ever seen! I'd have never dreamed it possible to build a bulldozer. The planning and work you've done is great. Roughly how many hours do you have in it so far?