Another rant about buying used

/ Another rant about buying used #151  
Buying stuff is ALWAYS easier than selling.
True. Trouble is that by the time I do sell it has lost value. Not so much tractors, but time passes other things by (think tools) and they become obsolete.

/ Another rant about buying used #152  
True. Trouble is that by the time I do sell it has lost value. Not so much tractors, but time passes other things by (think tools) and they become obsolete.
some do , i just bought a non working 1945 drill press, will be putting a 3 phase motor on it and a vsd.

/ Another rant about buying used #153  
When I see something I already know I want, a lot of times I stop the seller from talking. Then I say... I'm going to buy this, I dont care whats wrong, please now just be 100% with me about what is going on. It works almost every time.
some times its advantageous to buy equipment that needs attention in your stronger areas, i bought an excavator recently from a bloke who literally had zero electrical aptitude, he was pretty honest with his description however. he obviously had a reasonable level of mechanical aptitude as he could answer any mechanical queries i had quite comfortably.

long story short the machine had to be started by shorting the starter solenoid and had been that way for some time due to electrical issues, the battery was shot as well so you also needed to jumper it to start, turned out it was the yanmar safety relay that had failed. it didnt take me a lot of time to firstly bypass it, replace the battery and get it to start from the key, and then without a lot of drama source and replace said relay, after a bit more attention where i found a few other electrical gremlins i got a decent machine with a significant discount,

whilst bargaining with him in good faith i stated one would have to take into account what it would cost the layman to pay someone with electrical skills to remedy the issues. he reluctantly came down and we agreed on a price point to enable the purchase.

/ Another rant about buying used #154  
some do , i just bought a non working 1945 drill press, will be putting a 3 phase motor on it and a vsd.
Nice. Old drill presses like that are also an exception, they retain their value. Vises as well, not much has changed technology-wise. I was thinking more hand tools.

/ Another rant about buying used #155  

And after awhile we learn the difference. One BIG difference is that the good older equipment - all the way from construction machinery to machine tools were all built with the expectation that the company would endure, their machines would be rebuildable forever, and that the reputation gained by making that process convenient was the best very best advertising they could do.

rScotty

/ Another rant about buying used #156  
Ideally when I buy something used I have a lot of time to look for it and wait for a good price. I bought a better log splitter and sold my old one and came out good. I wanted a box blade for about 3 years and found one at about half price. In both cases I bought the item immediately, if you wait you’ll probably lose out. It’s when you have to get an item that you have to pay more or not get exactly what you want.

/ Another rant about buying used #157  
Ideally when I buy something used I have a lot of time to look for it and wait for a good price. I bought a better log splitter and sold my old one and came out good. I wanted a box blade for about 3 years and found one at about half price. In both cases I bought the item immediately, if you wait you’ll probably lose out. It’s when you have to get an item that you have to pay more or not get exactly what you want.
Exactly. That is what I found as well. Good deals are not going to last long. As an aside, I aways study the background in the pictures if I am buying from a private party to get a feel for the type of person I might be dealing with. I look for a good orderly shop, clean looking vehicles etc. Things that indicate the equipment might have been cared for.

/ Another rant about buying used #158  
Reading this thread reminds me why I have a building full of unsold stuff, I hate dealing with people . 😂

If you have an auction house in your town, that is a good way to sell.

You won't get as much money, but there is almost zero hassle.

/ Another rant about buying used #159  
Needless to say, the engine oil was black, transmission and hydraulics were all low, and I highly doubt he changed those filters. And now I just checked the engine coolant and it's nothing but p!$$ water. Don't even register in my hydrometer.
You must have got a real low price on that tractor. ANTHING is worth it if the price is low enough. Sometimes "low enough" means they have to pay me to take it.