Another rant about buying used

/ Another rant about buying used #161  
Ideally when I buy something used I have a lot of time to look for it and wait for a good price. I bought a better log splitter and sold my old one and came out good. I wanted a box blade for about 3 years and found one at about half price. In both cases I bought the item immediately, if you wait you’ll probably lose out. It’s when you have to get an item that you have to pay more or not get exactly what you want.
very true, i would argue a lot of business today solely work on exploiting the customer who isnt organised or doesnt know better. and because a lot of people are not organised this business model is pretty lucrative.

/ Another rant about buying used #162  
For those curious about shipping cost. Last year it cost me $2200 to have a 11k lbs vermeer plow shipped from Iowa to va and this year $4000 to have a 12700lb excavator shipped from Colorado to VA and $1600 to have 3 pallets shipped from England to norfolk va.

/ Another rant about buying used #163  
When I bought my last M9000 Kubota used and 500 miles away, I made sure of the freight cost before I even offered a penny for it. As it turned out the JD dealer I bought it from also had a dealership near me so they hauled it no charge.

/ Another rant about buying used #165  
In dealing with people and something I'm trying to buy I found that just treating them how I would want to be treated works best. I never knock or degrade their equipment but praise whatever I can find if it's truthful. They know.

For example, I bought something for $35 recently that the seller wanted $100. This would sell for $100 on EBAY. But we're not on EBAY, not paying EBAY and I have the cash in my pocket for a clean deal. I was the first person to look at it. The seller wanted to sell.

I said that I always wanted one and appreciated that they had one. It had been well cared for, and they knew that, but it was unused in 6+ years and there was some rubber rot. I said it is nice and I would like it but the non-use issue, rubber rot and other concerns gave me a realistic buy price of $35 because I could have to put $70 into it. I said you might find someone to pay more but as much as I want it, could not pay that.

I thanked them for their time and got ready to leave and they told me they would take my $35 and feel good about it because I would be a good owner and appreciate how well they had taken care of it. Deal done, I thanked him again and was out the door.

Last edited:
   / Another rant about buying used #166  
When I bought my last M9000 Kubota used and 500 miles away, I made sure of the freight cost before I even offered a penny for it. As it turned out the JD dealer I bought it from also had a dealership near me so they hauled it no charge.
No charge. What a deal. :)
You should have bought a lottery ticket that day.

/ Another rant about buying used #167  
That's the nature of the exercise. Years ago I called about a forklift I saw for sale 60 miles from home. Guy says "come down Saturday morning, has to be 7am as I'm very busy". I get up early Sat morning, drive down, no forklift. I went in the store where it was and woman says "Oh yes that was my brothers, he told me he sold it yesterday, someone hauled it off". I called the guy and he could care less.
I had very similar with a trailer

/ Another rant about buying used #168  
For the record, I only buy new stuff when it comes to vehicles and new tractors, etc. Because I don't trust people.

But unfortunately when you like 40 plus year old tractor collecting, you have no choice but to buy used.

I bought a tractor off a facebook antique tractor site. Talked to the seller many times. Seemed like a nice guy. Again, drove many hours to go get tractor, pics looked beautiful.
As soon as I got there and saw it, I knew I was getting fleeced. But stupid me, I paid the price because I wanted it.
Then came home and had another box of parts shipped from Steiners to start all the repairs. So ya, paid way too much, but am going to end up with another nice tractor when I'm done.

But anyway, here's another @*$% that says "It's all serviced. I just replaced ALL fluids and filters. Ready to go"

Needless to say, the engine oil was black, transmission and hydraulics were all low, and I highly doubt he changed those filters. And now I just checked the engine coolant and it's nothing but p!$$ water. Don't even register in my hydrometer.

Luckily I'm not that dumb to trust people, or I would have had a frozen and cracked engine block this summer.

Oh well, I lose money but at least I save old tractors from the hands of worthless trash people.
I just bought 2 used tractors and paying cash the price reduction more than paid for the things of which you speak. Besides it gave me something to do and now they are in the work force and fill some gaps I had.

/ Another rant about buying used
I just bought 2 used tractors and paying cash the price reduction more than paid for the things of which you speak. Besides it gave me something to do and now they are in the work force and fill some gaps I had.
Yep. More and more I am getting into my old tractors. My newer ones just sit.
I don't mind working on old tractors I buy, I just get frustrated when the sellers just can't be honest.
But more and more I am preferring the looks, the sound, the feel of the old iron.

Admittedly, I like the loaders on my modern tractors better, but for everything else I like the old iron.

/ Another rant about buying used #170  
Exactly. That is what I found as well. Good deals are not going to last long. As an aside, I aways study the background in the pictures if I am buying from a private party to get a feel for the type of person I might be dealing with. I look for a good orderly shop, clean looking vehicles etc. Things that indicate the equipment might have been cared for.
Yes. Looking around at the seller and their place tells more than the equipment you're looking at. Guys that have a mess of a place with lack of care in everything are very likely trying to pull the wool over on you.

And they don't even act surprised when you catch them in something they were trying to hide.