Any Final Thoughts

/ Any Final Thoughts #11  
<font color="blue"> but some of it is your fault. </font>
Wait a minute here. There is nothing in the TBN charter that says we have to take blame for anything. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm sure we all will help you with your decision on buying a new tractor whatever size you get. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Any Final Thoughts #12  
<font color="blue"> I am eliminating the smaller tractors from the list though. </font>

Darrell: That, and the rest of your last post, is music to my ears. No need to grow another set, I think your existing equipment checks out just fine. Ditto on your CPU, it seems to be functioning quite nicely IMHO. I think your best choices are the 3430 or 3830. Please check out carefully all the posts concerning the 3130. IMHO the consensus is that it's marginally powered for the size of the Grand L's. As I said, there's a very well-based axiom that says try to get the most powerful tractor in a given model line. I see the Grand L's as being in two subsets - 3130/3430/3830, and 4330/4630 (not recommended by me)/5030. You're at the bottom of the power range with the 3130 - the same power as the 3030 in a significantly heavier tractor. Fill the tires and add some heavy attachments and we're right back to talking about regrets. As I said to Ryan, I think he hit it "right out of the park" with his choice.

Batter up! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And unless financing is too much of a complication, I hope you continue to give thought to the idea of "playing the field" with some quality used tractors, unless of course you just decide to go with the 3830, in which case you will be rid of me forever! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Any Final Thoughts #13  
Darrell

I just went through the same hard process of picking a tractor. I sold my BX23 three weeks ago because I knew I needed a bigger tractor. At first I focused on the B series, I figured that something in the B series would fulfill my needs, and I didn't really want to spend over 20k. Nice tractor, however my property is hilly in places and when I finally test drove the B3030 it just felt tipsy to me. So I though, ok, I will look into the Grand L3130 because with it's wider stance it should be more stable. However, after reading some of the comments about the L3130, I decided to move to the L3430. So I settled on an L3430 HST,...or at least I thought I had. I had my dealer go to the trouble of locating an L3430HST, install the R4 tires, and a 723 loader with the quick attach. I took him about a week to get it ready. I went down to the dealership to close the deal, got ready to sign all the papers, and while I was sitting in the office, I noticed how much I liked the look of the L3430 HSTC. Then I made the mistake of mentioning that fact to the dealer. In response the dealer said "Well its not too late to change your mind and go with the cab model, only $4800 more." I really did not want to spend that much, but it made sense after I really though about it. A tractor is not like buying a car, it is long term investment that if it continues to meet your needs and it is the machine that you really wanted in the begining, you will probably keep for many, many, years. However, if you purchase a tractor that is less than what you really want and need, you will probably end up selling your tractor and will have to go through the whole process again at a cost that probably exceeds the price of the tractor that you really wanted in the begining. In my case I went ahead and got the L3430HSTC, because it was the tractor that I really wanted, and therefore I will keep for a long time. For me there is nothing as bad as making a major purchase and then regretting that I didn't get exactly what I wanted.

Jim

/ Any Final Thoughts #14  
I think I've died and gone to heaven. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Any Final Thoughts
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( After reading some of the comments and thinking about how capable the new truck is for towing I've had some doubts cross my mind about what I should get. Maybe I should look at the L2800HST or L3400HST or even the L3130HST. I looked at the dimensions, not that much bigger, some even narrower, plus some more weight for traction and stability. )</font>

So after even some more contemplating, I wondering if my eyes aren't growing too big. I'm sticking to the elimination of the smaller tractors on my list, but do I really want to go bigger. I know the answer for some of you is a resounding, "Yes, you should go bigger." However, I'm just wondering what I'm going to do with a bigger tractor once all the main jobs are done and what's left is mainly maintenance. Is it really worth having that bigger tractor or would I be better off just getting the tractor that will take a little longer to do the primary work and will be perfectly fine for handling the maintenance?

Just thinking out loud,
Darrell

/ Any Final Thoughts #17  
<font color="red"> Just thinking out loud </font>
<font color="blue"> Cutting in paths/trails
Moving rocks, logs, dirt, etc.
Some rough mowing
Dig post holes
Maybe some snow clearing
Using at home for some landscaping chores (no mowing)
Whatever else I can think of that the tractor can do </font>
Going back to your list in another thread. A bigger tractor would do the task better than a smaller one. When I was at the dealer last week there was a B7800, B3030, L2800HST and L3400HST setting next to each other. Looking from the side, tractors did not look much different in size. But when looked at from the rear. It was very obvious that the 2 "L" tractor where a lot heavier and larger tractors.
I like my B2910. But there are times when a larger tractor would be better. I do not have 20 acres. Some would say my B2910 is to large for 4 acres. Mowing lawn was heavy on my list of task for a new tractor. I set my sites on a 72" MMM. Then found the tractor that would run it. Had 2 choices from <font color="orange"> Kubota </font>, B2710 and B2910. Premium features moved me to the B2910.
Look at your list again. Now that you have a bigger truck, put the L2800HST, L3400HST and the premium model L3130HST on your list. L2800HST list for about $500 more than a B7800 with FEL.

/ Any Final Thoughts #18  
Darrell -

Again, more info would be helpful. I don't know if we've sufficiently determined exactly what projects you're going to be doing, or might think of doing if you have a bigger tractor that you might not having been thinking of doing when you made your first post in Down to Orange. Also the type and scope of maintenance work.

Maybe this touches again on the idea of starting with a (lightly) used larger tractor that you can then sell and get a smaller tractor after the grunt work is done, if the smaller tractor is sufficient for them. This reminds me of a friend of mine who bought a Case 580 Construction King TLB, used it for a year to build his house, then sold it for what he paid for it. Nothing like the free use of a machine for a year or more.

I just would like to see you give yourself as many options as possible. The "final" tractor decision might be best deferred as you explore your other options and play around with other machines.

John

/ Any Final Thoughts #19  
I think the move to consider the larger tractors is a smart one. The ones you mentioned are HST models. You may consider the standard gear models. Unless you are doing a lot(as in a whole bunch) of FEL work I can't see it being a real need. Nice yes but really needed for mowing? the primary use. Plus more to break/go wrong over a standard gear model. And I believe some here have mentioned the HST gobbling up some of the stated HP over a gear model. Not sure how much that'll save you but it's bound to be a little cheaper.

Rob

/ Any Final Thoughts #20  
I am confused why everyone has size of property as the determining factor for size of tractor ? It seems this is not as important as tasks and type of property, if you have 40 acres that are perfectly flat with only some bush hogging to do, or you have 4 acres that has some very steep spots with bush hogging, loader work, lots of mud to climb around in, a creek to cross, lots of heavy lifting for stuff at the barn, do you need the smaller tractor on the four acres and a much larger tractor on the 40 just because of size of property? My property is not huge, but the steep hills and terrain dictate a larger tractor frame for stability and ability to do the work I need. I guess you have to ask your self what you are going to be doing and if budget is a concern, how long are you going to keep this tractor and is it better to buy a little more now and never need to do it again? I am by no means an expert but these are all the decisions that I just faced, I decided on the 3830 and I am sure that I will be glad I did. Land wise to big for the size of my property? Yes, but too big for my safety, terrain and tasks, I am sure it will not be....