Any Final Thoughts

/ Any Final Thoughts #31  
Darrell -

Sorry, I made that last post before I read yours. Having said all I really have to say anyway, I'll try to stay out of it now, in accordance with your wishes. Enjoy your tractor, whatever you end up with.

John

/ Any Final Thoughts #32  
I vote for the 7800. I guess I'm a little biased, but I'm not that far down the road from you and my 7800 has served me well on my 6.5 acres. Although I don't have as many trees as I would like to have, the ones I do have can make things tough navigating a tractor around them on those wonder WV hills. I was doing some work the other day and I couldn't have gotten a larger L series back in there to where I had my B-7800.
As far as the extra weight of the machines, in the 2 years I have had my 7800, I've only had it stuck 1 time where I had to pull it out with a truck and that was my own stupidity. I dug a hole about 6 foot deep with my FEL and went down in there without any weight on the back and couldn't get back out because the clay was like ice. I couldn't even curl my way out with the fel.
I have added a boxblade, PHD, lakescape rake, tiller, rotary cutter, forks, and carry all. All of those implements have served me well on my property.
I would have loved to have gotten a backhoe but couldn't justify the cost. I would rather either rent something or have a professional do the larger jobs.
If you don't mind me asking, what dealers are you talking to? You can PM me the answer if you like. Just curious as I am from close by.

/ Any Final Thoughts #33  
I'd vote for the L3400. Biased - no doubt about it :).

If the B3030, L3400 is the last you can squeeze into your budget, I'd vote for more PTO HP/ larger machine over the creature comforts offerred by the B3030.

If you were mowing primarily, the B3030/B7800 would be the way to go. From what you have listed you want to do, I don't think you will regret the extra hp and weight.

Resale value wise I suspect that the L3400 will sell for more than the B3030 15 years from now - even though they cost the same now. Others may disagree. I know that when I was looking for used, all I looked at was PTO HP first, transmission second and creature comforts (better seats, telescoping 3PT) were never really on the list.

You can always add some creature comforts in time - quick hitch for example.

Size matters :). You won't be able to change that after you buy.

I'm sure you will be happy whichever way you go. All three are really nice machines.

/ Any Final Thoughts #34  
Dlroy, Wow! You must feel like a yo-yo with all of the advice given so far. Bigger, no smaller, no bigger, no smaller ... ; it really makes me shake my head. I didn't read any of your post in Down to Orange, but one of the posters here reiterated what your intended uses might be. So from that I'd say that a tractor as simple and compact as the L3400 would do great!

Have you ever seen a tiny little Farmall? They once made a tractor called the Cub. About 11 or so hp on the pto and weighed in at around 1600 lbs. Once upon a time, my dad ran 125-acre farm with one of these. That was row cropping, cattle, hogs; it did it all. Now it probably took a little time to complete all of the chores. This was long before my time, but as my dad often said, it was far better than any mule he ever worked.

You asked if a smaller tractor would get the job done, once you are settled in. Sure it will. It will do the big jobs too, just not as fast. That is the ONLY difference.

Here is another story that illustrates just how strong these small CUT's are. A couple of years ago my brother purchased a New Holland TC33, cute little tractor. Kind of like the L3400, they are about the same weight and hp, though the TC is on a more compact frame. This TC33 I'm referring too was not the fancied up one, as they have now become. It doesn't have synchronized gears or an independent pto. It is a simple, small, CUT, yet very powerful, as I was to discover.

So I had it out in a 10-acre field. Imagine that! A tractor this small on 10 acres and that's not to mention the 20 or so acres sitting beside this field that it often bushhogs. I hitched this little guy to a 2500 lb duel axle spreader loaded with 3000 lbs of fertilizer. And then I pulled this 5500 lb sled through a powder soft, plowed field. Sure, I had all 4 tires engaged, but it pulled it with hesitation. I was simply amazed. This, even considering that it had R4's instead of Ag tires. It actually handled this load up the slight slopes far better than a Ford 2000 we also have. Now the Ford 2000 is slightly over 1000lbs heavier, but its Achilles hill was that it is only 2wd. This little tractor, that looked only half its size, spanked its butt.

So do I think a smaller tractor will do you. You bet. If you are not paying someone to operate your machine, and you have time to devote to your projects, buy the tractor that fits your budget. It WILL get the job done. Of those you mentioned I favor the l3400. Weight and power combination on this tractor is perfect. Plus, it is just a little more than those a bit smaller and actually less expensive than those cute little fancied up ones.

Can't wait to hear what you go with. Hope this helps some.

/ Any Final Thoughts #35  
I'm with most other guys here from the choices listed I would go with the L3400 HST. I have two 6 acre tracts one with the house the other for our future home. I have a B-7500 and while most of my seat time is mowing the machine does a great job. However if I had it to do over again I would have bought a bigger more HP tractor. With your task at hand the bigger weight of the L will serve you well.

I know you will not be disappointed in the L-3400 or any of the others you have listed, but take it from me most will wish for something bigger in the future, but I also understand the budget concerns, money does not grow on trees in my neck of the woods. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Keep us posted. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Any Final Thoughts #36  
I have been going through the same thing, tractor size, hp etc, my dealer advised me on the bigger L frame tractor because of the hills on my property, he felt it would be much more stable than the smaller ones. He also recommended the L for resale, feeling that it would be better in the long run....

/ Any Final Thoughts
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Wow! You must feel like a yo-yo with all of the advice given so far. Bigger, no smaller, no bigger, no smaller ... ; it really makes me shake my head. )</font>

Yeah, my head has been spinning a little. And at my home I still have my wife looking at the B2410 and saying, "what's wrong with this one?" If it was only a perfect world.

Darrell

/ Any Final Thoughts #38  
Well there you go! Since the wife doesn't see anything wrong with the small tractor and half the advice here is to get a bigger one while the other is to have a smaller one, the solution is obvious.

Keep the smaller one and get a big one in matching color! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif