Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #201  
Great thread. I have only done a few stupid things in my life so far... OK maybe more. But one of them was selling my two bmw 2002's. One was a 1972 2002 and the other 1975 2002ti if i remember correctly. For the little money I got for both I should have stored them in a barn for future restoration. I am still kicking my self 25 years later!! Oh well...

_BMW-2002-tii-4

Lloyd...So how do you think I feel about selling my Jaguar XKEs ...I am sick ..I sold each of them for about $4,000 at the time -1974 or so...and they were in fine condition...I wish I had a place that I could have put them in ..up on blocks..they'd be worth a lot now...but I would also have a blast with at least one of them now...I saw one for sale on the internet like I had for $100K...makes me sick....

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #202  
Lloyd...So how do you think I feel about selling my Jaguar XKEs ...I am sick ..I sold each of them for about $4,000 at the time -1974 or so...and they were in fine condition...I wish I had a place that I could have put them in ..up on blocks..they'd be worth a lot now...but I would also have a blast with at least one of them now...I saw one for sale on the internet like I had for $100K...makes me sick....

Well, if it's any consolation...both your E-Types and Lloyd's Bimmers would likely be piles of rust after extended storage. Both were a type of unibody (semi-monoque for the E-Type) and very expensive to repair.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #203  
Well, if it's any consolation...both your E-Types and Lloyd's Bimmers would likely be piles of rust after extended storage. Both were a type of unibody (semi-monoque for the E-Type) and very expensive to repair.

Whew...! Thanks for that Roy...that makes me feel a lot better..I had already been telling myself that had I kept them the rubber around the doors , belts , gaskets etc. would all have rotted...I feel better now...

But how do these guys that have all these 100+ old or exotic cars in their collections like Jay Leno...how do they keep that from happening...I mean they can't possibly drive 100+ cars every month evernn?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #204  
Whew...! Thanks for that Roy...that makes me feel a lot better..I had already been telling myself that had I kept them the rubber around the doors , belts , gaskets etc. would all have rotted...I feel better now...

But how do these guys that have all these 100+ old or exotic cars in their collections like Jay Leno...how do they keep that from happening...I mean they can't possibly drive 100+ cars every month evernn?

They have the $$$$$ and enthusiasm for the upkeep. Could you spend upwards of $100K (or more) for a restoration?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #205  
Dollars for restoration and proper storage facilities.:D

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #206  
How tall were the tires? With 26" tires which were stretching it for the wheel openings, and 4.56 gears, at the 5000 rpm redline top speed would be about 90 mph.

Your math is great but... Note previous post mentioned "prepared."

A properly prepared 260 or 289 will turn a he!! of a lot more RPM than 5K with a decent chance of staying put together for quite a while, well a good while if yoiu don't run 7500 every bloody shift.

I considered 6K to be a fairly conservative RPM at which to shift for pretty good performance on street/highway. As I ran the long legs (2.88:1) that was approximately 60, 90, and 120MPH for shifts into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th respectively. Again top speed was 165 which was an indicated 150MPH with the discrepancy being tire expansion of the Dunlops.

I did not personally run cheaters at any time on El Tigre and those I saw used at the PVTA strip (Pomona Valley Timing Association - worlds first off the street drag strip) didn't overflow the wheel wells. I didn't measure them but they looked to be less than 27 inches. They were wide and flat and smooth.

For what it is worth I drove the Tiger on the OB (Ocean Beach) freeway (extension of Interstate 8) when it was very lightly traveled onto interstate 8 to San Diego State University as fast as was moderately safe. This was about 140-145 indicated on the OB freeway and 80-120 on 8 to the College Blvd off ramp. Did it once, recorded the time. Subsequently drove my 1943 military Jeep with stock 4 banger and 4.56 gears on the same route to my afternoon classes. Jeep was running about 45 most of the time hitting 50 once in a while (not uphill.). The Jeep got me there reliably with a transit time of less than 5 min longer that the Tiger. Speeding is not particularly productive.

Pat

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #208  

I've got a lot of those cars going back to 1905 and found the best storage is somewhere with about 40% humidity and mild consistent temps with vermin.

I keep the best cars in the walk-out basement where the furnace and water heater are located... zero problems so far in 40 years...

I do have a 74 BMW 2002 that is out in the weather... was garaged most of it's life... just don't have covered storage for it...

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #209  
I've got a lot of those cars going back to 1905 and found the best storage is somewhere with about 40% humidity and mild consistent temps with vermin.

I keep the best cars in the walk-out basement where the furnace and water heater are located... zero problems so far in 40 years...

I do have a 74 BMW 2002 that is out in the weather... was garaged most of it's life... just don't have covered storage for it...

And, for those into Porsches...make sure you get a '77 or newer that has never been in a wreck. Those bodies are galvanized steel and they did a really good job with it.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #210  
Pantera was the first car I ever went over 200mph in. We had one in the shop waiting on parts and I took it to a closed section of a local interstate one afternoon. Second was a Fiat Dino, V-6 with 3 duece Webers.
Now those were interesting cars, but the job I had STUNK... So I left the cars for a better job.
David from jax

Stock top speed on a Dino was 130 ish, 150-160 on rthe Pantera, depending on whether it had the 310 or 330 h.p. engine. If you meant 200 km per hour I can see that.