Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD?

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #21  
kind of makes me wonder what is going on here,.., I started with diesels by owning tractor trailers in early 74 with a 350 Detroit and within two years worked my way up to a 1694 Cat then the remaining trucks were all 3406 Cats. I've had many, many DOdges too...The last Four of them diesels and except for the 01 and one valve, forget its name, haven't had any problems,, I see Dargo mentioned the third largest DOdge dealer in the country and a friend or mechanic is complaining,,, SOmething doesn' sound right to me. Either they are a car dealer with truck fill in or vice versa. How can every truck they sell have DPF problems? Or, it sounds to me the perception is most if not all have problems. I can't be the only guy in the US without Dodge problems...

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD?
Believe me, as big of a fan of the Cummins it took quite a bit of earnest effort from a personal friend who is the service manager showing me all the problems they have to keep me from considering a Dodge with the 6.7. He said he had more of the 6.7's in the shop for work than 5.9's, and there are tons and tons more of the 5.9's out there. As much as he wanted me to stay with Dodge, he told me that I'd be making a big mistake going with the new 6.7. I apparently have another brand of truck that has a bum of an engine, but at least I spent way less than half of what I was going to pay for the Dodge.

I wish you the best of luck with your new Dodge. I'm sure the actual engine itself is good. It's just all the federally mandates stuff after the engine that kills it and creates all the issues. I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't have bought one of the last 5.9's built.

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #23  
15000 on it so far and the only issues was two trips back to the dealer for reflashes, I wasn't trying to be smart in the last post,,, My inlaws were Dodge truck and IH also known as Navistar dealers for over 50 years, They also had the Chrysler-Plymouth line of cars, They were well known as truck dealers and their sales showed it.. They all but had to give away cars to keep those franchises,, They just couldn't sell cars and thus my phrase about is this dealer cars first or trucks,, I must be lucky then as the dealer I go to now, half of them worked for the inlaws. Some of these diesel mechanics are getting ready for retirement now,... I suppose when these 35 yr plus mechs go, then that dealer might have different issues.. Just have to wait and see,

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #25  
I traded my '04 F-350 for an '08 F-450 with the 6.4. No problems with the engine, it's super smooth and has more power than the 6.0, much more power than the 7.3's I had. I don't like the direction the manufacturers are having to go with the diesels. You can blame the EPA for how complicated these engines are now. They are definately cleaner but fuel mileage is down and doing an oil change is about all the average person can do now. I'm not sure whether I'll buy another diesel when I trade this truck. They're not going to get any less complicated and the cost for a new one is just going to get higher. If I can get my older trucks reliable enough I may get a Jeep in 3-4 years and leave the heavy hauling to my veteran Whites.

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD?
I'm a bit concerned about Ford and their diesels. I understand they dropped the 7.3 because they couldn't get it to pass emission laws that were coming in place. Then they only run the 6.0 for a mere 5 years, drop it due to issues; go with a 6.4 for only 2 years and then drop it due to issues and will have a 6.7 coming out. How long will they keep that one?? It can't be cost effective to be changing engines so frequently. Manufacturers generally seem to want to run an engine a minimum of 10 years and sometimes 20 years or more. I don't understand Ford's problem. No wonder my Ford stock is at something like a 30 year low! :mad:

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #27  
I have 15k miles on my 06 6.0 and except for my own mistake it has been trouble free. Of course I only use if mostly for farm use so it isn't getting the miles that our gas trucks see on construction sites but overall I can't complain.

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #28  
I don't think there's any issues with the 6.4. From everything I've read and from talking to the service manager at my dealer the 6.4 has been a trouble free engine. The issue is that Ford and Navistar are parting ways and Ford is developing the 6.7 on their own. The EPA emissions standards are also changing for 2010. All diesels will have to comply and the 6.4 won't be able to. From what I understand the Cummins 6.7 is already '10 compliant. The 7.3 and 6.0 Powerstrokes had to be replaced because they couldn't meet the changing EPA standards.

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #29  
I thought the problems were all with the 2004's and the engines changed with the 05's? I have an 05 250 with the diesel (embarassed to say I'm not sure what the engine size and it's in for an inspection so I can't go check!). Anyway I bought it new, it has 27k on it with no problems at all. I had a dodge 2500 with the 5.9 liter gas and that was a piece of junk. (Not to start the big three war but I won't own another dodge. They look great but I had a lot of problems. Haven't tried gm yet but so far fords been pretty good to me).

/ Anybody here have any experience w/ Ford SD 6.0 PSD? #30  
The biggest problems were with the early '03's and early '04's. The 7.3 was offered for a few months in the fall of '02 in the '03 models. The 6.0 came out in Jan. '03. Had lots of problems with softwear on the engine. Most of the serious problems had been worked out by the intro of the '04's. The '05, '06 and '07's had improved versions of the 6.0. I think the 6.0 turned out to be a good engine but naturally the problems get magnified on the internet.