Grading Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade?

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #1  

LS Tractor Owner

Tractor
LS XG3025 TLB, Previously MT125 TLB, Craftsman GTS6500
I was grading an area today with the box blade and found there were some spots that the box blade would barely scrape. I even went over those areas with just the scarifiers, they dug in, but just left deep grooves. Even going across again at an angle, just left more grooves. At most, the blade would take off maybe a half inch. It is a 60 inch, heavy box blade at 480 #.

Just wondering if any more weight would help, if so, wondering how you guys added some.

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #2  
I once threw some logs on top of mine to add more weight. Worked well. If I was going to make something more permanent, I would get thick steel cut to match the size of the box blade's end plates, and hang them on the ends.

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #3  
I'm assuming you've already tried shortening the top link more to be certain you have the most effective orientation of the forward cutting edge. In any case though, more weight would help. A simple wood frame with two 8x8x16 solid concrete block will get you another 100 lbs.

Also, here's an old TBN thread with some ideas, including asking a 250 lb buddy to ride on top as you grade. :)

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/249062-adding-weight-underweight-box-blade-2.html

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #4  
I chained some random steel to the top of mine. Happened to be several heavy grader blades for my LPGS project. I ended up replacing everything with a really old much heavier Gannon box blade. Weight is a good proxy for strength, especially on blades. If you put to much weight on them they cut to well & end up pretzeled if you have to much traction or momentum.

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #5  
My BB bounces on some of our areas.... so, we grabbed some "boulders" (about as heavy as a single person can BARELY lift) and wedged that on top of the BB, then put a strap around it to hold into place. To be blunt, it's worked like a charm.

Prior to putting the strap around it, every now & then (not often) one of them (we had three "boulders" on top of it) might roll off and have to be hoisted back up. To do that once, I had to back to it, roll it up on some dirt, I think I used some 2x4's to get some leverage.... would have been easier to get a second person as it was all I could do to lift the rock but.....persistence I am and I got it up there.

My wife's cousin came up with the (brilliant) idea of using a ratchet strap to secure the rocks.

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #6  
I've seen guys set cut pieces of railroad rail on top. Used to be able to fine scrap railroad rail around, but seems to be hard to fine these days. I wouldn't mind a few pieces myself for such purposes.

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #7  
My BB bounces on some of our areas.... so, we grabbed some "boulders" (about as heavy as a single person can BARELY lift)[snip]

That works too!

Richard, when I was a single person (many years ago), I could lift way more than I can now. :laughing:

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #8  
I've seen guys set cut pieces of railroad rail on top. Used to be able to fine scrap railroad rail around, but seems to be hard to fine these days. I wouldn't mind a few pieces myself for such purposes.

I imagine the rail quit lying around back when China was paying outrageous prices for scrap metal. I heard one story about scavengers stealing the siding off a vacant mobile home.

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #9  
I took 4 cinder blocks and filled them with concrete to make them heavier. If I had to guess I'd say they were about 70-80 lbs each. I welded a bracket on the back inside of my box blade to hold them. So I added 4 x 80 lbs=320 pounds to my box blade. Not a huge amount but it is better than nothing. I use it as my ballast right now. Yes I know I need to make a better ballast. I have a barrel but I have not made it happen yet. I like the rail idea. I know where some rail is laying in the bushes.

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #10  
Look at yard and garage sales and get 25 and 50 pound barbell weights.... You can add or remove weight as necessary... All you need to really add to BB is some vertical rod of sorts to keep them mounted...

Dale