Grading Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade?

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #11  
I welded a 1" bar, drilled holes in the ends for the lynch pins, made 12"x12"x1" thick steel plates with a 1 1/16" hole and handle and it works for me.

BoxBladeWeightsSmall.jpg

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #12  
You are in New Mexico where moist soil will be an infrequent condition.

Buy HEAVY ground engagement implements.

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #13  
I just cut some 1 1/2” plate that fits in the end caps of my LPGS. We have a plasma table at work so I just burned them to fit from some scrap leftovers. Think I added about 600lbd to my 7’ LPGS. Works like a dream now.

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade?
Thanks for all the ideas. I don稚 have any Rails , nor do I think anyone around here sells them. Great idea though! I considered the filled block, but I didn稚 think they weighed that much. I do have a bunch of 3x3 angle, so maybe make some holders out of them. Problem with that is how the box blade is built (see pic), I can稚 go straight across the back of it. I might be able to get 1 1/2 blocks on each side, maybe 2 each side if they are vertical. I will have to get some measurements....

I also like the idea about getting some used barbell weights, but have not seen any around here in a long time.... I think most have gone to the scrap yard long ago.... you can cannot even find any used tractor implements around here!

Attachments

• FF4568D5-1441-4BC6-B992-A6BE4F5A03BD.jpeg
    FF4568D5-1441-4BC6-B992-A6BE4F5A03BD.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 147
   / Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #15  
... you can cannot even find any used tractor implements around here!

I used to live in the SW and saw many semi-trailer loads of rusty implements headed for the border.

Bruce

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #16  
Thanks for all the ideas. I don稚 have any Rails , nor do I think anyone around here sells them. Great idea though! I considered the filled block, but I didn稚 think they weighed that much. I do have a bunch of 3x3 angle, so maybe make some holders out of them. Problem with that is how the box blade is built (see pic), I can稚 go straight across the back of it. I might be able to get 1 1/2 blocks on each side, maybe 2 each side if they are vertical. I will have to get some measurements....

I also like the idea about getting some used barbell weights, but have not seen any around here in a long time.... I think most have gone to the scrap yard long ago.... you can cannot even find any used tractor implements around here!
Ya, it's not rocket surgery. There are just 2 factors, is it heavy & can you strap, chain or attach it well enough so it wont fall off. Even a stack of lumber or rocks can meet that most of the time.

That tower brace does make things a bit harder.

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #17  
I used a weight lifting bar and put on all the weights I could find, one at a time obviously, maybe 400# and was able to lay it across the bracing on the rear of the blade.

Weights are easy to find fairly cheap because not many people want them laying around.

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #18  
Look at yard and garage sales and get 25 and 50 pound barbell weights.... You can add or remove weight as necessary... All you need to really add to BB is some vertical rod of sorts to keep them mounted...

Dale
This is exactly what I did. Welded a piece of 1 1/2" pipe vertical on the back of the box blade and stacked up the plates. Works well with Olympic style weights.20181125_140548.jpeg

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade? #19  
That works too!

Richard, when I was a single person (many years ago), I could lift way more than I can now. :laughing:

Indeed! Tis why the last time I did it, I had to build a bit of a ramp and use some levers. I was the one who originally hoisted them up but, age, shoulder surgery on one arm, broken arm in the other since then... I don't have the back strength (age) nor arm strength in either arm. Sort of a double whammy!!

/ Anybody make any type of weight box to mount on box blade?
I think the welded rod / barbell weights will be the easiest option. As long as I can find some. Most of the ones I have seen in passing are the plastic filled kind. That type is what I gave away years ago. The yard / garage sale search is next to impossible unless I go 30+ miles down into the city.... even then no guarantee.... I might try craigslist.