Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks?

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks?
skipmarcy said:
Since I got my QA and new bucket 2 years ago, I leave 2 of the forks on the old bucket all the time now and can grab it real quick to use. If you are interested at all, I can take measurements etc. and explain a little better how I did it and take a couple pics.

I would love some photos, and also info on your QA addition.
thanks,
hbob

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #12  
skipmarcy said:
Since I got my QA and new bucket 2 years ago, I leave 2 of the forks on the old bucket all the time now and can grab it real quick to use.

A neat setup, almost as neat as a QA set of forks to interchange with a QA bucket.

The important part is the.. "I can grab it real guick." This ease is facilitated by the QA and has nothing to do with the fact that the forks have a bucket attached as an adapter to let the forks simulate QA.

Not knocking anyones ingenuity. Bolt on forks are way better than not having forks but comp[ared to QA forks they are a distant second place.

Pat

Pat

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #13  
Hi All!

I have a set of chain-on forks I got off of Ebay. Along with the load tensioners I got on the Bay too it came to about $175. They are handy as heck and I use them a lot. I can put them on in about 3 to 4 minutes and take them off in 30 seconds. The chain on function allows me to space them at any distance.

Yes, as I look at them now I realize I could have made them for $50 or so and they would have fit a bit better. OTOH - all I did here was hit some keys on my 'puter and they showed up at my door a few days later. :p

Greg

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #14  
Give me a couple days to get the pics and figure how to get them uploaded, I don't get computer time everyday either. I will say I've been using my forks every day now for the past 2 weeks clearing some brush and moving dead trees etc. in my woods. Yes, visibility is a little tricky with the bucket in the way but didn't take me long to get used to them - just like learning any piece of equipment, am pretty efficient with them now.

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #15  
These are probably overkill for what you may need, but I got the "forks" for $20 each, C-Channel and flat steel I got at a fabricators shop. Load binders from Lowes....

Attachments

• forks.JPG
    forks.JPG
    491.9 KB · Views: 898
  • Forks2.JPG
    Forks2.JPG
    466.4 KB · Views: 806
   / Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #16  
HarleyBob said:
Anyone out there with good feedback on the bolt on or chain on pallet forks and which ones to get? My max load is 1100 pounds/pallet.
hbob

I would get a set of real forks.

I paid $600 for a used set, and I have been very satisfied. The improvement in visibility makes them much more useful. You don't have to stick very many things with a fork to make up the difference in price.

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks?
BobG_in_VA said:
These are probably overkill for what you may need, but I got the "forks" for $20 each, C-Channel and flat steel I got at a fabricators shop. Load binders from Lowes....

Why do you prefer the chain setup to the screw in system?

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #18  
MadReferee said:
What good is a 4000lb limit when you loader will lift less than half that at the pivot pins, and even less when the load is further from the pivot pins? Sounds like expensive overkill to me.
I may be looking at this the wrong way but I would rather have forks that exceed the lift capacity of my tractor as appose to the other way around. The best price that I found at the dealers here in Maine was $995.00 plus tax and delivery for 2000lb forks. The heavy duty forks like I bought were in the $1200 - $1300 range, plus, plus. I said I paid $650 landed for 4000lb forks. More for less sounds smart to me.:p

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #19  
mwark said:
More for less sounds smart to me.:p
However, throwing away money for overkill does not sound smart to me. Nor does it make sense to me. Overkill = waste. But then again, it's your hard earned money and not mine, thank goodness. Whatever floats your boat.

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #20  
Like some others, I made a simple set for about $30 (before steel prices shot up). 2"x2" sq tube and 2"x2" angle iron. Angle across the front distributes the weight to minimize chance of bending bucket front edge. Spacing was determined by some holes that were already in my bucket. But I use them for hauling brush, lumber, etc. so I was not concerned about pallet spacing. I like them because it leaves my bucket completely open so I can load it full of brush or deadfall and such and still be able to easily dump it.
Easy on/off. Maybe 2 minutes if I am slow. I usually just finger tighten the nuts.

Attachments

• forks1.jpg
    forks1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,527
  • forks2.jpg
    forks2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,521
  • forks3.jpg
    forks3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,458