Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks?

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #41  
Sully2 said:
And instead of that "backstop"...in which any material on the skid..should it wish to move rearward..would thusly fall OFF...my BUCKET is able to catch it.!

I'll bet my back stop is taller than your bucket and much more effective as a safety asset BUT STILL I nearly got a 1000 lb round bale in my lap. I don't recommend you get too lackadaisical regarding having something fall back over your bucket and nail you. Do be careful, especially if you hoist stuff with a CG nearly as high as your bucket (or higher) as if you curl it back the CG climbs higher.

Pat

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #42  
patrick_g said:
I'll bet my back stop is taller than your bucket and much more effective as a safety asset BUT STILL I nearly got a 1000 lb round bale in my lap. I don't recommend you get too lackadaisical regarding having something fall back over your bucket and nail you. Do be careful, especially if you hoist stuff with a CG nearly as high as your bucket (or higher) as if you curl it back the CG climbs higher.

Pat

I'll never be picking up anything all that heavy...NOR anything stacked as tall as the top of the bucket itself.

I look at my FEL as "4 men with great big wheelbarrows"...and the analogy I try and use is that " I can move more topsoil or mulch...in 1 1/2 hrs...than you can with a wheelbarrow and shovel in a day" ( And all I have to do is move a joystick)..if ya get my drift.

They can call me lazy...they can call me crazy...and even a no good "SOB"...but Im not keeling over in the heat and humidity hauling dirt...etc..for some dammed FLOWER BED!....:D

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #43  
Good on you Sully, Sounds like you are meeting your requirements safely and without a lot of sweat.

The most "interesting" pallet fork work I have ever done was unloading two show Harleys out of the back of an 18 wheeler while the lady that owned them was watching. At one point while handling the second one she had to turn away and just wait till we told her that her "BABIES" were safely on the ground. The art work was by the "Monster Garage" guys and she was really into that stuff.

So far I have had just that one close call that nearly put something heavy on me. (rond bale.) Then there was the time when I was a newby on my tractor and turned the steering wheel all the way to lock with a couple hundred T-posts on the forks. The tractor wanted to lay down on its side like the guy in the yellow raincoat on his tricycle on "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In." Luckily I had been instructed to always have my hand on the joystick if the FEL is not on the ground so that you can drop the load to the ground and prevent a roll over. This has saved me a few times.

Patrick