Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks?

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #21  
MadReferee said:
However, throwing away money for overkill does not sound smart to me. Nor does it make sense to me. Overkill = waste. But then again, it's your hard earned money and not mine, thank goodness. Whatever floats your boat.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Read my post... I paid less money for the heavy duty, much less, than I would have had to pay for the light duty. How is that throwing away money? If I did your way Not only would I have less money I'd have less fork.
Can somebody help me here?
:rolleyes:

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #22  
Your logic seems strange to me.

Let's see, $650 for 4000 lb max capacity forks for a loader that has a max lifting capacity of about 1500 lbs at pivot pins and even less further out. Compare that to spending $50 to build you own or even $250 to buy a set of 1500 lb rated clamp on forks.

You may have paid less than retail for those 4000 lb forks but you paid more than you needed to because of the limitations of your equipment.

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #23  
The fella didn't want to make his forks. He wanted to buy a set. He got a heavy duty pair for cheaper than a light duty set. Whether they can hold more than his equipment can does not matter. What is so hard to understand here?

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #24  
If you even read my previous post all I was doing was commenting on overspending for overkill. Then if you read his most recent post he comments "If I did your way Not only would I have less money I'd have less fork. " My last comment was directed to this statement.

I just wish everybody would read ALL the posts before replying.:(

The fella didn't want to make his forks. He wanted to buy a set.
Where did you see this posted? mwark never said anything like this. And neither did the original poster, HarleyBob.

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #25  
"My friends call me Mad, everyone else thinks I'm mad."

I'm think this may explain things....:D

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #26  
I have about $120 in my set, because I didn't have a welder at the time that I needed forks. I paid someone to cut and weld my design. I believe Mad's forks that he designed and made were even less expensive than mine were. I also know someone that has all of the equipment and knowledge to build his own, but he bought an expensive set. To each his own even if we all don't understand it. That is what makes everything go around. :confused:

The nice thing about building your own is that you can make changes to the way they are made so that they are the way you want them. An example of that is when I made mine; all of the clamp on forks that I saw would leave a ding in the bucket when you clamped them down. I didn't want that to happen, so I designed a 3.5" x 10" pressure pad that spring retracts. As many times as I have used my forks, there is no evidence of the forks being clamped to the bucket. To each his own.

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #27  
If you are not into making your own there is a company located in central Pa that makes the universal quick attach pallet forks with frame for $580. They are heavy duty and adjustable with 6 lock-in positions. That is the best price I've been able to find in this area.

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #28  
HarleyBob said:
Why do you prefer the chain setup to the screw in system?

It's a couple things. First, I had the chain....and a good bolt cutter. If you note the in the picture the forks (6" wide x 2" deep have the "lip over" end pieces that the chain hooks right on to...these forks are probably good to 8000 lbs or more) and Second, I have a toothbar in place. Note the 4" x 1/2" flat steel angles slightly up and fits just fine over the top of the toothbar. I actually haven't seen another that does that...and third, I wanted a good "catcher" for really heavy items before they hit the bucket they lodge on the chain and won't wedge into the bucket. As a matter of fact the first thing I picked up with these was a 10 ft piece of concrete culvert 15" in diameter...pretty sure it weighed over 1000 lbs. Fit under it, rolled it back, sat nicely against the chain binders untill I rolled it off. Since were on the subject you might have noticed a "hook" against the end of the flat steel. The attached shows why its there....the chains tightly hold the forks where they need to be for the boom pole. BobG in VA

Attachments

• It works...JPG
    It works...JPG
    483.8 KB · Views: 527
   / Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #29  
I purchased mine. $600 or so, I can't remember off hand what they are rated for, but I'm sure it's more than the loader is capable of lifting. I've used them for more things that I ever imagined. From moving round bales, to unloading a wood stove and gun safe from the pickup bed.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/SteelDust05/8d297d2f.jpg