Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage?

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage? #31  
It sounds like your old meter was a "clockwork" style meter and the "smart" meter is of course electronic. An electronic meter will register any and all wattage used while the old style meter might not register any usage if the wattage is small enough...just not enough oomph to overcome the stiction of all the gears.

Here in Canada, "Measurements Canada" is THEY are the ones that tell the power companies what meters to send in for testing and they set the accuracy limits. Residential meters here have a tolerance range of plus or minus 3% (and since it is unrealistic to test ALL meters, samples were taken of those which had been in service for at least 5 years) and commercial ones are plus or minus 1.5% (and ALL of those were tested every five years). MC determine what meters get sampled and tested. If more than a certain % of those meters are outside the tolerance ranges, ALL the meters in that manufacturing batch get changed. (They keep records of that for that specific purpose) It was part of my job to exchange meters for sample testing purposes and recall purposes, besides installing new meters also. Some of the old clockwork style meters were up to 60% slow (no typo). You can easily understand how the new meters would give the impression to the customer that he was betting billed for much more than he was using when in fact he was just starting to get billed what he actually used.

Out of my 35 years as a Journeyman Lineman, I worked 16 of those as a District Operator. A fair part of the District work centered around meters and investigating customer complaints about large bills from meters that the customers thought were registering too much..."fast' meters. In ALL my time working for the provincial electrical utility, I heard of just two meters that were indeed "fast". One was on a farm transformer pole that had been hit by lightning...we assumed it was damaged by the strike...and I actually found one that was fast in an apartment and for that one, I have no idea why it was fast, it just was. I also had a couple of meters that the hands would slip on the shafts that they were mounted on. That made for some weird readings and they were a real bear to figure out what the cause was. The reads would go way high and way low with no rhyme or reason. Over the years, literally thousands of meters passed through my hands, hundreds of meter accuracy verifications also, but only just a couple of actual verified inaccurate meters that caused the customer to be overbilled. The vast majority of the clockwork meters would cause the customer to be underbilled by varying percentages for years.

I was afraid it was something like that...

It is or was possible here for a meter to be in service for many years... they had a bunch or residential ones that had been installed as far back as 1922 that were just converted to the new smart meters.

In the 90's I upgraded 30 amp 120 volt services to 100 amp 240 volt services in property that I owned or managed... the meters I took out looked like museum pieces.

The House meter has in interesting story... the duplex had a single 12 watt driveway lamp... even though it was in one tenants lease as serving a common area from her meter... she ran up high bills and blamed the single light instead of the several 100 gallon aquariums... anyway, the solution was to install a meter just for a single compact fluorescent fixture.

Talked to a retired lineman this weekend and he said the company didn't like bad publicity and always tried to get ahead of negative media stories... one way was to settle claims for damages in many cases.

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage? #32  
..........................Now they say, a cow may be rubbing against a power pole causing the problem. LOL.

Here's the bad joke of the day: They must be "ground" beef cattle.:eek:

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage? #35  
Mace Canute said:
... The vast majority of the clockwork meters would cause the customer to be underbilled by varying percentages for years.

Yet I suspect somewhere is a boatload of documents attesting to the accuracy of these units. LOL

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage? #36  
   / Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage? #38  
The power company could at least hoof it on over there and put the lines in an udder place. :)

Tally stole my word....

I was going to say that comments were getting udderly ridiculous.

But I guess I just did. :D:D:D:D:D

Later,
Dan

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage?
Sounds like a bunch of "bull" to me. Ken Sweet

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage? #40  
Sorry if we got too carried away with the puns Ken. I really do hope that you get to the bottom of your power troubles. It will be interesting to find out what the real cause of your troubles is after it gets narrowed down.

Hopefully you enjoy the occasional humor that gets inserted into otherwise serious threads.

I do know that it is common for commercial electrical contractors to have power monitors that record actual voltage and amperages throughout a day. They can be connected to your incoming power one day and checked the next to see what exactly happened on each leg of your incoming power over the previous 24 hours. I have seen them used to isolate electrical anomolies in feeds for commercial buildings. It may not hurt to call on a commercial electrical contractor in your area to see if they could help document what exactly is not right with your incoming power. Maybe there is one you know that would be interested in bartering for a deal on some equipment you have laying around.