Are prices like this everywhere?

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #291  
Deleted, or tried to. Delete option or button is gone. (using an iPad).

Last edited:
   / Are prices like this everywhere? #293  
Skynet junior....

Young people might not understand the movie, but the flow of this discussion has me thinking of a now-old movie with Sandra Bullock... can't remember the name of it...... she worked at home solely on the internet, ordered pizza and groceries online, not common circa Then. Something goes wrong in her life..... ffwd to absolutely nobody in the real-world knows her (Facebook et al had not been born yet).

Should probably watch it again.... Ok, it's Sandra Bullock, you've convinced me.....

Rgds, D.
THE NET is the name of the movie.

Last edited:
   / Are prices like this everywhere? #295  
   / Are prices like this everywhere? #296  
I was surprised to see the credit score dip as the balance paid and not carried over but best guess is utilization percentage?

We don't hear much anymore about empowering employees to solve problems or stepping up when no one is looking but to me these attributes can really make a company successful.

Sure they can. And then one evening after 30 years of doing the right thing, they call you and the whole plant into the big conference room and tell you that you've got 6 weeks left to work, if you leave before that, you lose your severance, and no retirement cake either. Rat ********!

That was the day I realized that working for a company is just:

Business.

They paid me. I worked for them. Either one of us could sever the relationship at any given time. And that's all I've got to say about that.

1DB3BFAA-31AB-4889-96B6-8F9BDEEC11C0.gif

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #297  
Yep... the branch manager had lots of power in former times...

I opened my checking account on his say so at 14...

I would come in every Friday to cash my paycheck...

One Friday the teller said to the manager this is a young man that comes in to cash his check every week... the manager said anyone earning a steady paycheck is old enough to open an account in my branch.

I left with a checking account and the managers business card... and felt ten feet tall!

Walter Kendall, Bank of America, Seminary Branch East Oakland...
I remember going with my mom to open my first savings account around age 8. I put my First Communion party money in it. Ever so often we'd go down there and I'd deposit a few more dollars that I'd scrounge up. We switched to a credit union in the mid 70s. I think I opened a checking account when I started paying college bills, so around age 18.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #298  
When I applied to refi my first home that I owned mortgage free it was an uphill battle.

I had equity, nothing bad on my credit but had just graduated college and did not have 3 years in the line of work or 2 years with the same employer.

As I was leaving my follow-up meeting with the loan officer the branch was closing so we walked out together and her car had a flat tire... I offered to change it for her as she had to pick up her daughter... at first she declined but I said really no problem.

As I pulled the wheel off the American Savings Branch Manager walked out and asked if everything is ok...

She said she is pressed for time and I was kind enough to change her tire and I had a pending home loan...

Manager said make sure his application gets priority processing...

The next day she called and said I was approved and said her boss had asked to see my application and said make the loan... all because of a chance meeting... I think yes.
As my father told me many times, a lot of it is who you know, not what you know.

/ Are prices like this everywhere?
I needed new tires on my 1995 F250 and Sams Club was the first place I looked because they usually have the best prices and the tire installation kit, including everything, is only $20 a tire. They were out of the size tires I needed and it would be 2 weeks to order them so I went online to Amazon and ordered 4 and got them in 2 days. Then I had to find a place to install them. I called 3 of the different shops I have used in the past. They all had the same price to install the tires, $250 plus tax! Finally I found a Mexican tire shop that only charged $100 to balance and install them and no charge for them to keep the old tires.

The truck ran a lot smoother with the new tires but not as smooth as when it was new so even though it only had 120,000 miles on it I thought about getting new shock absorbers. Checking online at Advance Auto Parts they had Monroes that met OEM specs for $36 each. But I didn't want to install them myself since I am now 77 and prefer to let others do my dirty jobs at times. I called around and every place wanted between $100 and $125 a shock to install them. In the past using hand tools I have changed these shocks in less than 30 minutes apiece but could have done it much faster on a lift with power tools. I decided not to get the shocks at his time. Maybe mine are still good.

Amazing that shops now charge $650 for labor only to change the tires and shocks.
I asked around but probably asked the wrong people if they thought I needed new shocks on my truck with about 130,000 miles on it. About 90% highway interstate miles. They all said definitely so I went ahead and ordered some new ones for the front since they are the easiest to change. I changed the first one in 45 minutes and the second one in about 30 minutes.

To my surprise I didn't need shocks. The old ones felt just as good as the new ones. I wasted an hour and $82 by buying new higher quality than OE shocks from Rock Auto but at least I saved $200 by installing them myself.

Anyone want a great deal on some good used 1995 Ford shocks? :):):)