Asphalt milling for Driveway

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #11  
EdC said:
I am pretty happy with a test patch of asphalt regrind. All this material is is reground asphalt that is taken up by those street eating grinders then a recycling company cleans it up, grinds it again into littler chunks and sells it. It does sound like the same stuff as the asphalt millings you are speaking of. I put down 3/4 minus and it compacts pretty well just by running my tractor (JD2320) with a full bucket. We plan on doing the rest of of our 600 foot driveway in September.

We have not had any problem tracking in tar into the house.

My next experiment will be buy some of this: PolyPavement: Natural Soil Pavement - Liquid Soil Solidifier
and see if it works as well as they claim. Then if it does work I will do the entire drive with it.

And if the marine part of your web name has anything to do with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor I sure appreciate what you have done for our country.

EdC,

I have looked very closely at that stuff. I would be very interested in how it works for you. I also found this Soil Stabilization Products Company, Inc. (SSPCo) - Advanced technology for pavements, trails, road base, subgrade, earthworks; erosion, sediment, dust control; earth retention, channel and slope protection Seems to be very simular but might be geared more toward commercial use...

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #13  
Any experience as to how this material would hold up on a steep drive? I'm having difficulty holding crushed rock on my drive during heavy rain.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #14  
Millings or anything fine will wash downstream if nothing is added to help "seal" it. How do I know? My upstream neighbors keep putting it down and it keeps washing down during the flooding we've had.

If you have good drainage that won't run over your road you'll be fine.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #15  
Milled asphalt pavement will re-compact and bind together over time. An asphalt roller will help speed that process up. One thing I would advise against doing, unless applied very lightly, and even then I would tend to shy away from it, is to apply diesel fuel over it. Diesel will actually disolve the liquid asphalt out of the millings. We have had spills on highways that involved diesel fuel, and if it is left in place, the pavement will dissolve until only a minimal amount of liquid asphalt is left, usually not enough to bind the aggregate together. That is why our maintenance forces apply sand over fuel spills. It helps soak up the excess fuel, and minimize the damage caused by it.

Regards, Colin

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #16  
i used to drive a 10 wheeler and that stuff was like gold everyone wants it ive done alot of driveways and here in san diego the stuff gets rock hard in a few months the only problem i ever had was when we ground up old broken up ashphalt that stuff kinda stayed gravely.....jon

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #17  
Supposedly our builder put recycled asphalt down for our driveway, and I hate it. But then again I doubt the builder installed it properly and I couldn't get out to the place during construction as often as I would have liked to make sure things were going as I thought they should have.

We may do crushed rock (not sandstone) for a replacement driveway before winter sets in. After I get the crap that's there now removed, I'll compact the surface, put down geotextile cloth and compact it again after the rock is installed. It will give me chance to rent and play with a small Bomag vibratory wheel compactor.

Some of my neighbors have put down concrete...lots of concrete, which is expensive to install and fix. Others have put down aspahlt, which generally doesn't hold up as well. A few have done crushed rock, which is the cheapest of the three options. What I like is that it's cheap to install and easy to fix...just put down more rock if need be. There's no cracking like you get with concrete and asphalt and just spray for any weeds that find their way into the rock.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #18  
PeterT

Asphalt regrind out here in Washington is 5 bucks a ton and 5 dollars for the recycler to start up his loader so one ton would be $10 and ten tons would be $55. It is available as inch minus and 3/4 inch minus. I used the 3/4 inch minus.

ALHILLDIRT

I only have a gentle slope on my driveway so no experience there. Besides we haven't gotten any rain in so long I can't remember that far back.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #20  
The state and county roads suck it all up in my area. there is no way for the public to get any. I have asked until I was blue in the face. They say they use it all as soon as it is available. But strangley enough, there is a pile of about 400 ton of it sitting in an old parking lot ( that the state roads owns) And it has been there for about 4 years. Go figure...