Asphalt milling for Driveway

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #21  
We use it for our 1/4 mile drive way. It used to be crushed stone, but that just gets pounded into the dirt and dissapears away, not to mention when we plow in the winter. Our first 7 tri-axle loads we got locally from friend who was working for local town, and he was dumping it at his holding pen. When I did around the barns, I saw a crew grinding it and stopped and asked them if I could buy the grindings, and they said where did I want to dump it. I was only about 4 miles from them so they dumped 4 tri-axle loads and the price was the same. I paid $60.00 a tri-axle load (around 22 ton). We found it's best to spread it when it's as hot as all get out, spread it thin, then drive over it and drive over it, and then drive over it again, then spread another layer and repeat above. It was the best that we found for our drive way in 18 years. Also around the barns, I have a slight slope and was always getting wash outs with the stone, not with this. Water run off keeps it clean and no ruts!

Just my $.02.

Bondo©

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #23  
You guys almost have me convinced on doing this over my limestone if the price is right. I was afraid it would be too big of a job for my B7610 and box blade and thought that it would have to be rolled to be affected. What about running a back blade in the winter? Would it catch and tear up bid chunks creating a pot hole?

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #24  
Matt

My little test patch has not gone through a winter. I imagine that if you are careful to make sure it is level when putting it down there should not be too much of a problem. When I backblade the snow off of my driveway I just keep the blade up a little bit and do not move much gravel. I do know it is easy to patch. Also when mine has survived a winter and is well compacted I am considering using the polymer overcoat I linked to in an earlier posting. That is supposed to increase the strength considerably. If I remember correctly a one inch thick layer is supposed to be about the strength of a four inch thick layer of asphalt.

I plan on doing my entire driveway with the regrind this year and maybe do the overcoat next summer.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #25  
To get really serious spray the top with a sealer emulsion tack coat from the local asphalt plant.:D :D

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #26  
lay those millings and roll... vibratory roller is a good roller. If there is no prime/tack/emulsion or sealer used.. then don't worry about track-in.

if a sealer /tack / tar / prime is used... sand it.. ( It.. shovel sand over it.. let it set.. then sweep off..

Soundguy

UpstateNYMarine said:
My fiance and I just built a house and now finishing out garage on 40 acres that we bough in upstate NY. We have a driveway that was used by tractors when the previous owner, on old farmer, used the land for farming. Since we are nearing the eld of construction we are looking to finish the driveway. It wil well compacted and has pretty good drainage. We are looking at either crusher run or asphalt millings. I'm looking for some honest opinions of using the millings for a driveway. We have about 1300' of drive and the excavator is going to make it about 4-6" think and use a vibratory roller on it. I have heard there are things to spray to keep the tar from sticking to shoes and tires (eventually being tracked into the new garage and house). Thanks in advance for the opinions.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #27  
I would recommend a pneumatic tire roller. You aren't going to be able to get the surface very smooth, and a steel wheeled roller will bridge over the low spots.

I don't know what a sealant would accomplish.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #28  
EDC,
I suppose the best way would be to make a gauge wheels or have some sort of thick rubber as some of the others have used. That polymer coat sounds great. I thought maybe after a few years of the regrind then have it chipped for a top coat.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #29  
Matt

Yeah, gauge wheels are definitely in my future. If I had to do it over again I should have gotten a box scraper for my first implement but with a little more time the standard rear blade works okay.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #30  
Matt

Instead of gauge wheels you could use skid shoes like snow plows use. And that came to me while I was putting in deck screws 3 and a half hours after my last post ...I know pay attention to what I am doing.;)