Attacking that power problem CT225

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #161  
On a CT225 how much do you let up on the pedal to make the machine "downshift" so that it will climb the hill?

Let up a little? Let up almost all of the way?

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #162  
On a CT225 how much do you let up on the pedal to make the machine "downshift" so that it will climb the hill?

Let up a little? Let up almost all of the way?

Let up enough so that the engine starts to regain rpms. In other words, if the engine labors and the rpm's drop, let up a bit and see if the engine rpm's start to climb a bit.

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #163  
If all else fails and the hill is too steep, stop the tractor and drop the range shifter (LO,MED,HI) to the next lowest range and take off again.. Be sure to step on the brakes as you will be passing thru Nuetral and the tractor will take off backwards as you go thru Nuetral if you do not have your foot on the brakes.

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #164  
As you gain more experience in operation, you will have sense enough to not try to take a too steep hill in HI, or even in Medium range if you are heavily loaded and the hill is very steep. You will just know by looking that hill is a "go up it in LO" hill when you are loaded down or pulling a heavy load.

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #165  
I had to drive my tractor 7 miles to get it to our property as there are several steep hills on the dirt roads leading there that are real challenges to pull a loaded trailer over. I learned about all the things that James has just said on that 2 hour trip in. :eek: But it wasn't until some posts here that I understood why I couldn't just give it more pedal to go on up the hill.

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #166  
Let up enough so that the engine starts to regain rpms. In other words, if the engine labors and the rpm's drop, let up a bit and see if the engine rpm's start to climb a bit.

Keep in mind the things you have learned all these years (hopefully) about keeping the engine up in its torque band. When faced with a steep hill, and you are heavily loaded, or pulling a heavy trailer you would normally open up the throttle to make maximum horsepower and decide beforehand what range you will be able to take this very steep hill in. And when the engine rpm starts to fall out of the sweet spot then let up off of the pedal to try to keep the engine turning in that rpm range where it makes the most power. All of this should not even require much thought, it will become somewhat intuitive after you gain some operator experience.

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #167  
I had to drive my tractor 7 miles to get it to our property as there are several steep hills on the dirt roads leading there that are real challenges to pull a loaded trailer over. I learned about all the things that James has just said on that 2 hour trip in. :eek: But it wasn't until some posts here that I understood why I couldn't just give it more pedal to go on up the hill.

You probably learned a lot in that short trip:)

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #168  
At first (at least for me), it was confusing using a hydro tractor as I just assumed a hydro was the same as automatic transmission on a car. Once I got that concept out of my head, it became much easier. I will be the first to admit I don't use my CT235 very hard, and there are not many hills on my property, but I have never felt I was underpowered. I am in Medium range 95% of the time and I am happy.

MoKelly

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #169  
You probably learned a lot in that short trip:)

Yeah. First thing I learned was to not let the wife drive off in the pickup before getting my hat out of it. It was August and I didn't have the sun shade on it yet. :fiery: :laughing:

/ Attacking that power problem CT225 #170  
Yeah. First thing I learned was to not let the wife drive off in the pickup before getting my hat out of it. It was August and I didn't have the sun shade on it yet. :fiery: :laughing:

Perhaps, living in New Mexico, you need to invest in 2 or perhaps 3 hats and keep one in the garage? :)

MoKelly