ATV advice

/ ATV advice #101  
Whatever you do, don't buy a Can-Am ATV.

After 35 years of riding Honda, Suzuki, Polaris, and Arctic Cat I bought a brand new Can-Am Outlander 570 last year. It's been the worst piece of **** I've ever spent money on. I work on it more than we ride it. 13 months old now, 800ish miles on it, and I think it might be to the point where I can use it this summer without fixing something else. What a piece of trash.

The plastics have gone brittle and literally fell apart in some areas, it overheated constantly so I had to install a radiator relocation kit, servicing it is a nightmare, brakes literally fell apart and the pads and calipers were destroyed, front diff whines like a couple of cats fighting, front diff drain screw is installed from the factory at an angle so it got stripped upon first service, I can't even remember all the issues. And this is in the first 12 months. Pathetic.

Sounds like you got a real lemon and need to get rid of it - cut your losses.

I've never owned a Can-am ATV but have a good friend that does...but his is the fire-breathing 1000 cc. He is constantly abusing it, putting it through stuff I'd never subject my ATVs through, and it is holding up just fine. Personally I own a Can-am Defender UTV. 2020 model, bought it new. Closing in on 3000 miles on it now and it has been flawless; if I had to do it over again that's what I would buy. I'm using it all the time around the homestead and then take it up into the mountain on my days off.

/ ATV advice #102  
Whatever you do, don't buy a Can-Am ATV.

After 35 years of riding Honda, Suzuki, Polaris, and Arctic Cat I bought a brand new Can-Am Outlander 570 last year. It's been the worst piece of **** I've ever spent money on. I work on it more than we ride it. 13 months old now, 800ish miles on it, and I think it might be to the point where I can use it this summer without fixing something else. What a piece of trash.

The plastics have gone brittle and literally fell apart in some areas, it overheated constantly so I had to install a radiator relocation kit, servicing it is a nightmare, brakes literally fell apart and the pads and calipers were destroyed, front diff whines like a couple of cats fighting, front diff drain screw is installed from the factory at an angle so it got stripped upon first service, I can't even remember all the issues. And this is in the first 12 months. Pathetic.
all this after 12 month is hard to believe, not saying its not true just hard to believe and it makes me want to ask a tones of question but I wont ... I have a 2012 and never had problem with it, sure some plastic broke but they are all made with plastic now.

/ ATV advice #104  
No atv's or utv's are perfect. I will say that includes Honda trannies.

Exactly. I was seriously considering a Honda Pioneer 1000 until I started frequenting the Pioneer forum discussions and seeing all the complaints about problems with the dual-clutch transmission...and the engine heat making the inside of the cab unbearable in the warmer months.

I can change a drive belt in about a half hour on my Can-am...not so the clutches in a dual clutch transmission.

/ ATV advice #105  
No atv's or utv's are perfect. I will say that includes Honda trannies.

1) in todays world, I can’t tell if this is a “bud light” comment or not (j/k!)

2) my 84 big red disagrees, btw
(Love that thing!)

/ ATV advice #106  
1) in todays world, I can’t tell if this is a “bud light” comment or not (j/k!)

2) my 84 big red disagrees, btw
(Love that thing!)
1) lol

2) 100% there is and there will be nothing better tougher then the Honda three wheelers line up, these things or over 40 year old now and they are still kicking and can withstand insane amount of abuse.

/ ATV advice #107  
all this after 12 month is hard to believe, not saying its not true just hard to believe and it makes me want to ask a tones of question but I wont ... I have a 2012 and never had problem with it, sure some plastic broke but they are all made with plastic now.

Feel free to ask.

Son and I ride trails typical of the eastern U.S. Dirt, mud, water puddles, some areas of tree roots, rocks, etc. We don't beat the hell out of our machines. We typically ride low range and speeds are relatively low. On wide open trails we may hit high range. The ATVs are never sunk in water above the tailpipe like you see on YouTube videos of people who think ATVs are jet skis. We almost never tow or work with the Can-Am. In short, the Can-Am has had a relatively good life. And yet, 12 months and 800 miles later it's had a laundry list of problems. I hate it. It's pure trash.

By contrast I have a 2022 Suzuki King Quad that I bought two months after I bought the Can-Am. I ride it, my son rides the Can-Am most of the time. We follow each other, so the ATVs see the exact same miles, same trails, same obstacles, same everything. The Suzuki has had ZERO issues. None of the things that the Can-Am has had. No broken floorboards, no fluid leaks, no overheating, no whining from the front differential, no brake calipers eating the rotors like potato chips, no oil consumption, nothing. It's been flawless. The Can-Am needs repair after every ride.

As the old saying goes, live and learn. I'm not too terribly mad because how was I supposed to know when I bought the Can-Am that they are trash? I've learned now, and it'll never happen again.

/ ATV advice #108  
Agree, no excuse for a machine that costs what they do

/ ATV advice #109  
Feel free to ask.

Son and I ride trails typical of the eastern U.S. Dirt, mud, water puddles, some areas of tree roots, rocks, etc. We don't beat the hell out of our machines. We typically ride low range and speeds are relatively low. On wide open trails we may hit high range. The ATVs are never sunk in water above the tailpipe like you see on YouTube videos of people who think ATVs are jet skis. We almost never tow or work with the Can-Am. In short, the Can-Am has had a relatively good life. And yet, 12 months and 800 miles later it's had a laundry list of problems. I hate it. It's pure trash.

By contrast I have a 2022 Suzuki King Quad that I bought two months after I bought the Can-Am. I ride it, my son rides the Can-Am most of the time. We follow each other, so the ATVs see the exact same miles, same trails, same obstacles, same everything. The Suzuki has had ZERO issues. None of the things that the Can-Am has had. No broken floorboards, no fluid leaks, no overheating, no whining from the front differential, no brake calipers eating the rotors like potato chips, no oil consumption, nothing. It's been flawless. The Can-Am needs repair after every ride.

As the old saying goes, live and learn. I'm not too terribly mad because how was I supposed to know when I bought the Can-Am that they are trash? I've learned now, and it'll never happen again.

I have never heard such thing form any can-am quad owner and I know a lot of people who has one, but I don't blame you for thinking what you think base on your experience... this one qualify as a lemon

/ ATV advice #110  
For work, we operated machines from Can-am, Yahaha and Polaris. Our work is such, we broke them and wore them all out in 6-+ years of operations. When we puchased a machine for our personal use in was a can-am product. Its not perfect either.