ATV advice

/ ATV advice #121  
Whatever you do, don't buy a Can-Am ATV.

After 35 years of riding Honda, Suzuki, Polaris, and Arctic Cat I bought a brand new Can-Am Outlander 570 last year. It's been the worst piece of **** I've ever spent money on. I work on it more than we ride it. 13 months old now, 800ish miles on it, and I think it might be to the point where I can use it this summer without fixing something else. What a piece of trash.

The plastics have gone brittle and literally fell apart in some areas, it overheated constantly so I had to install a radiator relocation kit, servicing it is a nightmare, brakes literally fell apart and the pads and calipers were destroyed, front diff whines like a couple of cats fighting, front diff drain screw is installed from the factory at an angle so it got stripped upon first service, I can't even remember all the issues. And this is in the first 12 months. Pathetic.
Man, either you got a lemon or you're really rough on it. My 2012 Outlander has stood up well for me. Had to replace a rear half-shaft and bearing seal, but that's it. It was that way when I got it, I think the PO used it hard.

Only complaints are the throttle is a bit hard to modulate, but that seems to be the case on most of the ATVs I've ridden regardless of make. Battery's a little tough to get at...cables could stand to be a bit longer and the + terminal is only a half inch or so from the (aluminum) mounting shelf, - terminal is inaccessible with battery installed. Not sure who thought that was a good idea.

/ ATV advice #122  
Only complaints are the throttle is a bit hard to modulate, but that seems to be the case on most of the ATVs I've ridden regardless of make.

I thoroughly detested the thumb throttle on my Yamaha Kodiak when I first bought it for the same reason. Installed a twist-throttle conversion made by Motion Pro - works same as a motorcycle throttle - and have loved it for 17 years and 9000 miles now.

/ ATV advice #123  
I thoroughly detested the thumb throttle on my Yamaha Kodiak when I first bought it for the same reason. Installed a twist-throttle conversion made by Motion Pro - works same as a motorcycle throttle - and have loved it for 17 years and 9000 miles now.
The darndest thing is my business partner in a Beta dealership is an A rider and uses a thumb throttle and LHRB (Left Hand Rear Brake). Racing.

/ ATV advice #124  
The darndest thing is my business partner in a Beta dealership is an A rider and uses a thumb throttle and LHRB (Left Hand Rear Brake). Racing.

It should work fine for racing since all they want is to go as fast as possible, but users like me who for example need to back up ATV with a trailer full of firewood want to be able to better control partial throttle while steering in reverse gear.

It is a pain in the bu*t with thumb throttle "control".

/ ATV advice #125  
It should work fine for racing since all they want is to go as fast as possible, but users like me who for example need to back up ATV with a trailer full of firewood want to be able to better control partial throttle.
Ha ha ha. He races hare scrambles through trees on single-track where average speed might be 25 MPH. Very technical.

There is an art to matching twist or thumb controls to the throttle. Companies sell cam kits to change the rate of opening depending on position. Or to make the throttle move faster or slower.

/ ATV advice #126  
No racing here on my property - for us ATV is a for work.

/ ATV advice #128  
Got a 2022 Kawasaki Mule Pro MX this year and set it up for snow plowing which has not happened yet. Very impressed with it so far. Looking forward to sitting inside it when the snow is flying.

Attachments

• IMG_3159.jpg
    IMG_3159.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 42
   / ATV advice #129  
Got a 2022 Kawasaki Mule Pro MX this year and set it up for snow plowing which has not happened yet. Very impressed with it so far. Looking forward to sitting inside it when the snow is flying.
That should be very capable and fun to drive. Our 2020 Pro-MX just got a new set of tires from 4Wheelonline and ready for hauling stuff.