atv and utv year-around use (and in snow)

/ atv and utv year-around use (and in snow) #31  
Redneck Stuck
I finally got the Mule stuck. That swale that feeds rain runoff to the pond, was filled with blown in snow up to my waist. Luckly, I had Big G to come to the rescue.

20240118_141930.jpg

20240118_143653.jpg

20240118_143754.jpg

/ atv and utv year-around use (and in snow) #33  
I had pods on a Ranger 800XP SxS and hated them. Great in snow but you are running double the RPM's and they fling snow up so you need a cab.

It took me over and hour to change over to tires in the spring. Then had to find a place to store them.

Sold them after two years:

Tracks 1.jpg

/ atv and utv year-around use (and in snow)
I had pods on a Ranger 800XP SxS and hated them. Great in snow but you are running double the RPM's and they fling snow up so you need a cab.

It took me over and hour to change over to tires in the spring. Then had to find a place to store them.

Sold them after two years:

View attachment 847471
800 cc is way to low a HP. UTV do need a cab and you couldn't take our pods away from us. We'd get NO WORK done without them.
6x6pushes0898.jpg

/ atv and utv year-around use (and in snow) #35  
Absolutely ZERO interest in pods. They rob too much power. When the snow gets too heavy for my UTV with chains on the tires, I use my tractor.

I intentionally bought a smaller, lighter UTV to go easy on fuel usage and to get out to the area where I'm working when I don't have heavier machine work to do. With chains on, the UTV has cleared all of the snowfall on our hilly, often icy driveway so far this year. If the snow gets too deep/heavy, the snowblower on the tractor will get used.

I realize that my needs are different than some others. It certainly looks as though you make good use of your pods, Arly. I do similar work on my trails here in VT, but have decided they are just not for me.

/ atv and utv year-around use (and in snow) #36  
You have some great machines there Arly A, thanks for posting the photos.

Moved to this acreage in March 2001 (armed with a shovel) - Three pre-school kids, and then Christian school tuition. I wanted and could have benefitted from my tractor ... but, I could afford a used, ride on mower with a yard cart / trailer.

June 2006 - still not in a position to buy a tractor, but needed a work-horse, and something beyond a shovel for the snow. Bought the 400 cc ATV - great for my needs at the time, did everything. The Arctic Cat is a great machine, but in these winters, a 400 cc is underpowered for heavy snow - it just takes longer to do the job, and certainly beats the shovel.

Sept 2018 - after 17 years of planning / waiting, managed to get the Kubota TLB. what did I ever do without it ?, this thing is awesome. I had specific mobility limits / needs, so a new tractor was my best option. Future ... a second, larger, USED tractor is likely.

Enjoy your day.

/ atv and utv year-around use (and in snow) #37  
800 cc is way to low a HP. UTV do need a cab and you couldn't take our pods away from us. We'd get NO WORK done without them. View attachment 847472
I know where you live and how much snow you get. Pods work if you need to get out and work! But I have no need to "work" during the winter. All I do from Nov to March is move firewood (tractor) and clear snow.

Like John_Mc, I have a tractor (with pull blower) for dealing with snow and now a plow truck. In front of the garage and the walks I use an Ariens walk behind.

There is no one perfect "tool".

/ atv and utv year-around use (and in snow) #38  
Long story short hopefully my other Kodiak 700 with plow up north, works great in deeper snow has vbar tire chains and weight box loff the receiver low gear on the ultramatic transmission pushes snow very good up north, much quicker than previous methods up there. No front locker rear differential is always locked. One thing I learned use plow at an angle push snow as far back as you can, in my case down a ravine ramp it when possible. I leave chains on these tires permanently they are old and have slime in them, summer time I just change out the tires and rims with a better set I have on hand.

Attachments

• KIMG2378.JPG
    KIMG2378.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • KIMG2379.JPG
    KIMG2379.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • KIMG2377.JPG
    KIMG2377.JPG
    1,023 KB · Views: 29
   / atv and utv year-around use (and in snow) #39  
Now that it's 40 degrees out, finally got around to mounting the plow. Still plenty of winter left to use it.
20240127_143213.jpg