auto darkening helmets

/ auto darkening helmets #11  
There are other things to keep in mind when selecting auto-darkening helmets, such as how many sensors does the helmet have. Most cheapies like my Northern Tool, only have 2 sensors. That works fine until you are working around a structure you are building like tubing or something that blocks the line of sight of the sensor from the arc flash and then the helmet fails to switch to dark. The more expensive helmets will have 4 sensors spaced out round the view area so that the chances that one of the sensors will detect the arc are greater.

Another feature is "grind mode" so the the helmet will not falsely switch to dark when you grind and make those bright little sparks. My cheapie helmet does not have this so therefore you cannot continue to leave the helmet down while grinding.

These are just little things, but they do increase the productivity of the welder and these features are worth the money to many professional users.

/ auto darkening helmets #12  
   / auto darkening helmets #13  
   / auto darkening helmets #14  
The difference between 2 and 4 sensors is worth the money

/ auto darkening helmets #15  
I too, had a HF autodark helmet. The batteries gave out. I bought a Miller (Digital Elite) with the electronic sensor. Using TIG the HF helmet didn't always switch. The electronic sensor detects the arc as well as the flash. It's much more reliable. The downside to the Miller besides the $$, is the weight. The large window makes the helmet front heavy.

After getting the Miller, I took the HF apart... replaced the battery with a CR2032. Now I have two auto helmets.

/ auto darkening helmets #16  
I had an offbrand named Antra that was cheap and worked pretty well, but the sensors were often blocked by whatever I was trying to weld. So I bought a Digital Elite and use it in Xmode which detects the EMF from the arc. I've never been flashed since I bought it. It's also easy to change the settings like shade#. My other helmet had such tiny controls I could barely read them even with a flashlight. The Digital has a nice readout that is easy to see.

/ auto darkening helmets #17  
   / auto darkening helmets #18  
I like my Viking 3350, I decided my eyes are worth the money, especially after getting flashed one too many times by a cheap helmet.

/ auto darkening helmets #19  
I use the solar cheap ones from HF. Work fine for me including usage with my MIG.... Just tweak the response time knob.

/ auto darkening helmets #20  
My only complaint with the HF AD helmets is lack of grinder mode. I would love to use it to grind with, but it darkens with the sparks so I have to use a clear face shield. I don't think the AD response time is a big issue (1800th of a sec vs 2500 or 5000 sec) since the lens protects you from UV even when not darkened. SO if you strike an arc 1800 times (not very likely)in a day and get 1 sec of flash which is protected from UV it isn't an issue with damage to the eye.
The other factor is the battery life and ability to replace it. As others have said, it isn't easy to replace the battery in the cheap hoods and maybe not easy to replace in the expensive hoods either. I haven't looked at them in 20 years since I bought an expensive Speed Glass lens. I am happy with my $29 HF hood which is all any home owner welder should ever need. Sure the lack of Grinder phase is a PIA but with a $15 grinding face shield it is overcome.