auto darkening helmets

/ auto darkening helmets #21  
The grind mode is OK but you have to remember to turn it back to weld. I'm a slow learning I guess, it took me 3 repetitions to sink in. The switch on mine is inside the hood which requires taking it off to switch, so it is just as easy to take it off and put on the clear face shield, plus is easier to see with clear lens than slightly tinted with my old tired eyes.

/ auto darkening helmets #22  
I never did grind with my helmet. I'd weld and then grind and brush and check. Course I weld for myself and I'm not picky on looks as long as the joint looks solid.

/ auto darkening helmets
Well guys thx for all the comments. Been on line and doing a lot of comparisons. Stopped at my welding supply house today and ended up buying a Weldcote Klear View auto. 95 bucks. Went on line and that was a fair price. Decent specs for money. 4 arc sensors, solar plus two CR2450 batteries. Light shade 4 and variable 9-13. Grind-weld switch.

Looked at a Miller for over twice the money and about same features. Counter guy said they sell a ton of these Weldcotes with 3 yr.warranty and they don't come back.

sad to say Chinese origin-shocker huh? Stay tuned.

/ auto darkening helmets #24  
today is my first day learning how to stick weld, and my two helmets have been indoors in the dark for a few years. An 80 dollar autodarken one and a cheap small screen one as an extra. The latter may have been a waste of money because once I start welding, am pretty sure I'll treat myself to a better helmet, with the four sensors, etc. I wonder if my autodarken helmet will even work.
I guess I should put them outside in the sun this morning? I have spare coin batteries, but never knew about the solar issue, which
one of mine has. I am having a professional welder, a neighbor, come over later this morning to go over my equipment. Have an inverter combo unit bought from this site. I bought it, wife got sick, and it got put away for four years. A bit of delayed gratification but I'm sure the unit will work fine. Wish they provided a manual for it. Need to take my Chromebook to the barn to display the online manual.

Over the last few years I have been collecting a variety of welding tools, a bench, clamps, metal chop saw, all kinds of things to learn how to use today and finally make repairs with.
Have lots of safety equipment, blanket, 3 large pressurized water and ABC fire extinguishers, etc. Intentionally put fuel room at one end of the barn and dedicated welder 240V receptacle at other end.

I have a lot of grinding to do when done, the autogrind feature is on my list now.
Thanks to the OP for this thread, very useful info.

/ auto darkening helmets #25  
today is my first day learning how to stick weld, and my two helmets have been indoors in the dark for a few years. An 80 dollar autodarken one and a cheap small screen one as an extra. The latter may have been a waste of money because once I start welding, am pretty sure I'll treat myself to a better helmet, with the four sensors, etc. I wonder if my autodarken helmet will even work.
I guess I should put them outside in the sun this morning? I have spare coin batteries, but never knew about the solar issue, which
one of mine has. I am having a professional welder, a neighbor, come over later this morning to go over my equipment. Have an inverter combo unit bought from this site. I bought it, wife got sick, and it got put away for four years. A bit of delayed gratification but I'm sure the unit will work fine. Wish they provided a manual for it. Need to take my Chromebook to the barn to display the online manual.

Over the last few years I have been collecting a variety of welding tools, a bench, clamps, metal chop saw, all kinds of things to learn how to use today and finally make repairs with.
Have lots of safety equipment, blanket, 3 large pressurized water and ABC fire extinguishers, etc. Intentionally put fuel room at one end of the barn and dedicated welder 240V receptacle at other end.

I have a lot of grinding to do when done, the autogrind feature is on my list now.
Thanks to the OP for this thread, very useful info.

Hey Drew, 7014 is an easy rod to start learning on. Some people call it "idiot rod" or "monkey rod", because it starts fairly easily and doesn't stick to the weldment as bad as others. It does require higher current than some others. Go to Millerwelds.com to find the starting settings, or load the android app on your phone or tablet. Good starting guidelines.

Test your auto dark helmet by either looking through it at a bright light or the sun before you strike you arc.

/ auto darkening helmets #26  
My only complaint with the HF AD helmets is lack of grinder mode. I would love to use it to grind with, but it darkens with the sparks so I have to use a clear face shield.
My HF helmets have a grind mode setting. Maybe it's something they added over the years.

/ auto darkening helmets #27  
The blue flame HF helmets come in 2 varieties. They usually have them stacked together in the store, and the sales or coupons always list both model numbers. They seem like they offer the same features, but they are slightly different shapes. Other than HF getting them from 2 suppliers, is there a difference between the 2?

/ auto darkening helmets #28  
My HF helmet has grinder mode too. The switch is on the outside so I can reach it without removing the helmet. My problem is, I can't see where to turn the switch when I'm ready to quit grinding and resume welding. I figure if I have to remove the helmet I might as well put on a full face shield to grind. That's what I do and the shield is lighter anyway.

/ auto darkening helmets #29  
today is my first day learning how to stick weld, ...

I started teaching myself in earnest over the weekend, using my new HF DC inverter. I definitely need some practice to get prettier welds, but I was surprised that after a couple of rods I was able to lay a fairly straight bead. I've gleaned a lot of info from the welding forum here, and some decently informative YouTube videos. However, I'll need to get some one-on-one from someone with more experience.

Hey Drew, 7014 is an easy rod to start learning on.

I'll second this. the 1/16" was very easy to use, but it goes quickly. Buy the 2# pack.

/ auto darkening helmets #30  
thanks guys, don't want to hijack OP's thread. those rods were first ones I've bought and I've watched Youtube videos but most of those videos are hard to see what is really going on. Practice....