B....BX....or L Series?

/ B....BX....or L Series? #11  
Yes, it leaves an imprint if the ground is reasonbly moist. I usually mow at home with our JD garden tractor which has turf tires and a 54" deck. I have mowed at home with the B which has R4's and it does ok, but you have to watch the turns. That is where it will chew up the grass, especially if it is in 4WD. If it is fairly wet, I can see where I have just driven across the lawn for a day or two. I use a 55 gal sprayer with mine and I can see where I go with it for a day. But it can be used on the yard to mow, especially if you take the FEL off to take more weight off. But since I have the garden tractor, I use it anyway.

One thing about the BX's to not is the ROPS don't fold unless you go with the BX25 with the BH. That may or may not be an issue for you. The other issue for me on BX vs B is the B had more ground clearance which was important on our other property.

/ B....BX....or L Series? #13  
Where are you located?
You might try sending a PM to davitk he had a L3240 he was trying to sell.

Also look at Used Kubota Tractors

or Kubota Tractors of North Carolina - Carver Equipment in Dunn: we stock and sell new and used Kubota tractors, kubota parts, used kubota tractors, rtv, diesel, for sale, mower, dealers, engine, backhoe, loader, bx, accessories, bx24, 900, generator, r

people on here have had good luck with both.

I had a B7800 and now have a L3940. I use mine for a good amount of mowing with some hills and don't have much trouble with leaving marks on the lawn. I have R4 tires. I just upgraded from a 6 to 7 foot finish mower. I'm a believer in the buy a little bit bigger than you think you need. I had a B7800 and it was ok but I like the bigger tractor even better. It would have been much cheaper to buy a bigger tractor the first time and with 15 acres you could definitely justify a bigger tractor.

The only reason I think you should look at a B series is if the small size would be of be better such as between trees or in the woods Towing would be easier with the smaller tractor.

Last edited:
   / B....BX....or L Series? #14  
It is difficult to find a tractor that meets "every" need. Well, almost impossible. The best we can do is find one that meets most needs in a priority basis.

You have a lot of land and lots of work. If you want to get a B, it will be difficult to find one that is powerful enough to blow through your field work and still be light enough to run over your lawn. If the lawn is a high priority, then a smaller B would be almost the same weight as the larger BXs. This is important to know.

A smaller B would not likely harm your lawn, but would be more time consuming in the field. Its a trade off. Might be a good one. If you get the really large B or small L, you'd be great in the field, but getting a little heavy for your lawn, depending on your soil type.

The weights are listed on Kubota.com for your study. Remember, weight alone is one thing, but if the tires displace that weight, it all comes out in the wash. There will be a number of L owners tell you they don't mark the lawn.

/ B....BX....or L Series? #15  
cows+15 acres? get a L. if it too big for you, then get a B at least.

/ B....BX....or L Series? #16  
60" hog best on at least the B7800, B3200, or B3030. It'll work on the B2x20, but I wouldn't go there.

The B2x20s have 3 PTO positions and there is always confusion about it. As another poster indicated, they are either 1) both off 2) mid and rear together or 3) just rear. You can't run just the mid PTO by itself. You can run just the rear by itself (at either 540 or 960).

For me the heavy use of MMM led me to the B2620. The L3240 was WAY too big for MMM and the B3030 was also bigger and didn't have a suspended deck, but a ground contact one.

I'm thinking at least B3200 or B3030 if you want the deluxe features.

/ B....BX....or L Series?
If you want to get a B, it will be difficult to find one that is powerful enough to blow through your field work and still be light enough to run over your lawn. If the lawn is a high priority, then a smaller B would be almost the same weight as the larger BXs. This is important to know.

Lawn would definitely be the higher priority as the grass needs to be cut a lot more often than the fields. I need the B over the BX as the lifting capacity is twice as heavy, the bucket goes higher and the backhoe deeper/longer.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of a B2630 or 3030.

BTW- the property is in Western TN

/ B....BX....or L Series? #18  
Interesting link, thanks.

I would ask the members here the following:

Those with a B series that use it as a mower. Does it leave an impact or imprint on your lawn when used with R4 tires? A local dealer told me the R4 tires on a B series would have the same or less impact as a BX with turf tires. True or not?
Not!! I think and feel fairly safe in saying this but I think that dealer is really confused. I have turfs on my BX and R4's on my B. I'm not saying the R4's will destroy your yard but turfs spread the weight out more evenly. A rear finish mower is a good combination for a B and the height can be raised to even mow higher grass like fields and set lower for the finished yard. Just a thought and it is off and on so easy and quick.

/ B....BX....or L Series? #19  
Weight
My neighbor and I share duties here on our adjoining properties. He's got a B and me the BX. We trade off, depending on the task.
The BX, while too low to the ground for your purposes is virtually as heavy as most of the Bs. That is the point. The smaller B just is not heavier, so should be considered. But even the L tractors, which can get heavier, can displace that weight evenly. Depends a lot on tires and what implements are left on, adding weight. The models you mentioned would be fine. There is no "perfect", "do it all" tractor. You will love the one you choose and make it work.

Mowing with a TLB means switching out implements. But if you want those tools, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Also, agree totally with JT. No way a B with R4s is as gentle as a BX with turfs. That's just wrong.

/ B....BX....or L Series? #20  
Go with the L. I have 11 acres and have both a B7800 and L3400. If I had to due with one, I'd keep the L. Definitely not too large for your property size.