B....BX....or L Series?

/ B....BX....or L Series? #21  
Lawn would definitely be the higher priority as the grass needs to be cut a lot more often than the fields. I need the B over the BX as the lifting capacity is twice as heavy, the bucket goes higher and the backhoe deeper/longer.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of a B2630 or 3030.

BTW- the property is in Western TN

Mr. White:

My 2007 B3030 with 75 hours, 60" mmm, LA403 loader and 60" bucket, r4's and foldable rops is for sale. All garage kept.

PM me if interested.........
Swmpbgy1

/ B....BX....or L Series? #22  
I have an L2800 and find that it does everything I ask of it. I have 225 acres of Texas Hill Country w/cattle. My guess is that if you go with anything smaller you will be disappointed.

/ B....BX....or L Series? #23  
Here's my experience with with the L4400HST. They are an economical no frills tractor that can be had for close to your budget. More important is that the L series is capable of taking care of your property in an efficient manner.
I have a 10 acre property with about 8 acres in pasture and the remaining is lawn. It's mostly open and fairly flat.
Some observations after a season of using my tractor: 1) I use a 72" brush hog to mow the pasture. The L4400 breezed right through it in a timely manner with plenty of power. 2) I used my tractor for several projects requiring movement on the lawn--R4 tires did not damage anything. As with any tractor, you have to be judicious about wet lawns and turning. 3) I reworked my driveway (150') and parking area, moving and spreading about 45 tons of gravel. Once again, the L4400 performed very well. Also, moving around in tight areas wasn't a problem.
I don't use my tractor to mow my lawn, as I have a riding mower to do that chore. However, you could easily use a finish mower behind the tractor if you are talking a large area.
Some may say the L series is overkill, but having more power is better than not enough. Finally, you have to be happy with the tractor you ultimately end up with--nothing is worse than a tractor that can't do all the current AND future jobs you will encounter. Good luck, hope these real world observations help. Mike.

/ B....BX....or L Series? #24  
Looks like most people here agree with me, L is better suit for OP. For a such a large tractor, a RFM is good choice for mowing lawns until he can get something smaller as his needs grow.

/ B....BX....or L Series? #25  
With that size of property, go with an L....you won't be sorry.

/ B....BX....or L Series?
Go with the L. I have 11 acres and have both a B7800 and L3400. If I had to due with one, I'd keep the L. Definitely not too large for your property size.

How much is lawn and do you cut with the L and a pull behind finish?

So many good replies here. Thanks again.

My main concern with the L is that it is (I think) heavier than a B and obviously would have the R4's. I will have to start really reading up on the weights.

Now I fully understand about wet mowing and mowing in 2WD only and that will not be a problem, but I am concerned about seeing these huge "footprints" in the 6-7 acre lawn from now until eternity.

It may very well be unfounded and this is coming from someone who is VERY **** about my current lawn which is only 1 acre, but looks like a giant green carpet. I absolutely will not be as **** about the new property lawn, but I don't want to rut it. The previous owner used a little MF 1310 with turfs and a RFM. It took him hours and hours to do it, so I can't judge by that.

I also have many projects in mind which is the reason for not only a bigger machine, but the FEL and backhoe.

/ B....BX....or L Series? #28  
So many good replies here. Thanks again.

My main concern with the L is that it is (I think) heavier than a B and obviously would have the R4's. I will have to start really reading up on the weights.

Now I fully understand about wet mowing and mowing in 2WD only and that will not be a problem, but I am concerned about seeing these huge "footprints" in the 6-7 acre lawn from now until eternity.

It may very well be unfounded and this is coming from someone who is VERY **** about my current lawn which is only 1 acre, but looks like a giant green carpet. I absolutely will not be as **** about the new property lawn, but I don't want to rut it. The previous owner used a little MF 1310 with turfs and a RFM. It took him hours and hours to do it, so I can't judge by that.

I also have many projects in mind which is the reason for not only a bigger machine, but the FEL and backhoe.

An awful lot is going to depend on your soil type. I have mowed my yard with a 600 Series Ford, Massey Ferguson 375, Case CX80 with RFM up to eight feet and not damaged my lawn. The people who farm our land use JD 8030 and other tractors, combines and such and while they sometimes "leave a mark" down by our barn, they go away and I also mow that area.

I usually use my BX2660, but if my CX80 is here and has the RFM, I just might mow with it from time to time.

Of course this is only when it is dry.

I don't know if they are still available, but we have "orchard" tires on our Massey Ferguson and they are easy on the soil and provide good traction.

/ B....BX....or L Series? #29  
Think hard about how bad you need a backhoe. There are times I wish I had one, but they add alot of cost. You can add one later, but you are talking something around $7000. If you do need one, only about 1 in 10 used ones will have one.

Whats tough with your situation is the finish mowing and the brush hogging you have to do. The BX or a small B would work great for the finish mowing but will take you longer for the rough cut mowing. The ideal situation would be an L for the larger stuff, and a second machine for the finish mowing.

You can get alot of money wrapped up in a new machine in a hurry by the time you get through buying implements. I'd say a B, with a backhoe, finish mower, and a brush hog is going to knock on the door of your budget in a hurry and maybe exceed it if you buy a trailer also.

If you plan on living at this place for many years, it will be the best money you ever spent and you will not regret having a nice tractor.

Think hard about how bad you need a backhoe. There are times I wish I had one, but they add alot of cost. You can add one later, but you are talking something around $7000. If you do need one, only about 1 in 10 used ones will have one.

Thats the problem I am finding is that most machines only have the FEL.

I need a backhoe, no doubt. Its use will be somewhat few and far between, but there is a pond I definitely want to make bigger, there are holes to be dug and there is going to be the need to dig out dirt and transport it to build a berm of sorts.

Could I rent an excavator for a week and get that work done? Yeah, but then there will be that 1 time later on that I need it and I won't have it. I don't care if I have to remove it and it sits in the barn for 90% of the time, as long as I have one when needed. Kind of a Catch-22. The other thought was to get the tractor/FEL and then obtain a small excavator, but it will cost the same either way.