B or L series for MY needs

/ B or L series for MY needs #11  
I might of missed it but where are you located, and is there someone close by you could check out a B or L tractor. I have a B26 and use it more than my L45 just because of the size.

/ B or L series for MY needs
This will be an extended project, probably over a year or two. So, I'll only be moving one or two semi's full of dirt at a time. This is why I think a B or a L2501 will be able to get the job done.....maybe I'm completely wrong.

I realize the dirt will settle over the years. That is one reason why I'll be extending the project. I'll move a little bit of dirt, smooth it, and go from there.

Can the L2501 fit in a normal sized garage with the ROPS down?

I don't have a problem getting a ballast box if needed. But whatever I get, I'd like it to fit in my normal sized garage door.

Last edited:
   / B or L series for MY needs #13  
A 40 HP L series (with Top-N-Tilt) and a front end loader plus a 6 to 7' box blade on the back would be my go-to configuration.
You can drag a fair amount of fill in the BB while you carry a bucket full in the FEL.
A good quality, medium to heavy duty BB will give you a lot of the ballast needed for safe operation with those heavy FEL loads.
The BB will let you smooth & contour on your way back to the pile.
For what it can do and what it weighs, the BB is a really good value for what you aim to do.
When you're all done, resale should be pretty close to what you'd pay for it (if well maintained & used by yourself & previous owner).
It's hard to break a box blade ... although I'm sure someone on TBN has managed to do it.

If storage is a problem, a ShelterLogic type of shed should protect your investment until it's time to sell for an additional 10% or so.

/ B or L series for MY needs #14  
FWIW...Typical height of a (residential) overhead door header is 7' finish off the slab...

/ B or L series for MY needs #15  
Spreading dirt isn’t hard. I spread 100 loads in my backyard with my L3240. I easily out worked the one dump truck hauling. A CTL or backhoe is way overkill for the job. That’s assuming you’re spreading not carrying. That’s way more work.

/ B or L series for MY needs #16  
I had a L3200 (identicle to the L2501 except for HP due to emissions)... It would fit in my shop & garage with the ROPS down. May or may not relate to you garage door height.

I excavated down 3-4' by 15-20' wide by maybe 70' long unburying the back of my barn with a box blade. It took me a couple days in total spread out over several weeks & weekends. I'd guess you could move a truck load or 2 of loose dirt across 1/2 an acre & spread it in a couple hours, maybe an hour. In that drawn out scenario a L could get the job done. A B could as well, but it would beat up & wear out the machine a fair bit faster, but to mention take a lot longer.

You may still want to consider doing this with the right sized (big) machine in one strike. You could get by with a smaller machine doing cleanup. You can often get free fill by the dozens of truckloads when somebody is excavating a basement or something. Single truck loads are harder to find or get expensive.

/ B or L series for MY needs
I live about 20 minutes from St. Louis, Mo.
Elevation wise, I haven't looked it up but I believe it is a little above sea level.
My garage door is a standard 7' door, and the lowest point is a hair under 7'1".

/ B or L series for MY needs #19  
I believe it will fit ropes down. My L3240 was 1/2” too tall to fit ropes up in a 8’ door.