B or L series for MY needs

/ B or L series for MY needs #21  
I have both tractors, a B2320 and the L3301. There is quite a bit of difference between the two. I keep the B at my cabin with 5 acres and use it mostly with a 5 ft land plane for driveway maintenance, and some fel work. If I need more, I take my L up there. If I'm going to be moving lots of soil and grading, I want my L. Not saying you couldn't do it with the B, but it would seem like an eternity. Both are capable tractors, but if you do get the L, load the tires and add wheel weights, these tractors are light in the butt...

/ B or L series for MY needs #22  
Hello,

I'm in the market for a tractor. I currently live in a subdivision and only have slightly less than a 1/2 acre. My house was built on a steep hill. I need to have a bunch of dirt (I have been quoted about $10,000 worth of fill dirt) to level off and taper the huge hill. So, my main use for the tractor will be moving dirt. I won't need to move it very far, but I need move a lot of it. I'll also use the tractor for landscaping, moving some rock, mulch, etc. This project will likely take me a year or two, so I'm not interested in renting equipment. I'd like to buy a used tractor and once I'm done with the project I would have the option to sell it if I have no need for it anymore. I have noticed that I can get an L series for as cheap, if not cheaper, than a B series. Would a B or L series suite me better? Is the resale value better on one over the other? How much more stable would a B series, if any, on hilly terrain? I appreciate your suggestions!
I'm with some of the others on this thread. I'd get a real full size TLB or skid steer loader. Skid steer would be safer. Prolly something at least 60 hp and 12000 lbs. I own an L3901 TLB and a BX 2670. No way I'd wear them out on a project like that. FWIW, here's how id do this project. I would pay for the material myself but hire a skilled operator and machine on a day rate. Doing it yourself might make for an interesting DIY project but it's going to cost you more.

/ B or L series for MY needs #23  
If I had the CTL on that job you better have an army of trucks to keep up. It’ll pretty much shove a pile level as fast as you can dump it. With only one truck hauling I’ll be waiting 45 minutes out of an hour.

/ B or L series for MY needs #24  
You might be better off to hire this work out. Seems like a skidsteer and possibly other large equipment would be needed to make a dramatic change in the landscape like this.

/ B or L series for MY needs #25  
Having owned a B and an L, I'd say go for the L, however an L on 1/2 acre is going to be like a bull in a china shop.

/ B or L series for MY needs #26  
Could you post some pictures of what you are planning? I am thinking that even with the quantity of fill dirt you are talking ($10,000) you might not be changing the pitch of the hill that much. Have you considered some terracing with retaining walls?

I can't offer any first hand experience of B versus L. But I did a lot of earth moving with a John Deere 318, a box blade, snow blade and a bucket scoop. It took a long time but it also gave me time to ponder exactly what I wanted. You don't seem to have time as limiting factor so I would get to a dealer and sit on both tractors. Pick the one that feels right to you, regardless of your choice you are going to have a lot of seat time. You might as well be comfortable.

Doug in SW IA

/ B or L series for MY needs #27  
Could you post some pictures of what you are planning? I am thinking that even with the quantity of fill dirt you are talking ($10,000) you might not be changing the pitch of the hill that much. Have you considered some terracing with retaining walls?

I can't offer any first hand experience of B versus L. But I did a lot of earth moving with a John Deere 318, a box blade, snow blade and a bucket scoop. It took a long time but it also gave me time to ponder exactly what I wanted. You don't seem to have time as limiting factor so I would get to a dealer and sit on both tractors. Pick the one that feels right to you, regardless of your choice you are going to have a lot of seat time. You might as well be comfortable.
Doug in SW IA

Yes, around here $10K is not much dirt if you are buying it. You may find as the project progresses over the course of some years that it is hard to remember just what your original vision looked like. I take lots of pictures, and even go so far as to do a bird's eye contour map of the property. BTW, a contour map - even a hand drawn rough one - is really helpful to get the drainage right.

I have had a few tractors over the years; my normal hobby task is landscaping: moving trees, dirt and rocks - mainly on a couple of pieces of property about 5 to 10 acres of land & stream. Most tractors can be made stable on a slope by selecting the industrial tire option when you buy, mounting them out as far ast they can go (may require 2 to 4" axle extenders). And then adding weight to the wheels and tires. Of course this puts additional stress on everything, which makes an L or M preferable to a B.

The main advantage to a TLB with a backhoe is that it is likely to be more stable and rugged in the first place, and secondly if the backhoe has a thumb, that is the magic ticket for placing rocks and building rock walls. As well as for shaping drainages.

If you go the commercial TLB route, it would surprise me if you found anything used but usable for under $18/20K. I'd go more than that if you can. TLB is a very stable competitive market once you get past the outright thieves out to take advantage of a newby. Once past the thieves, you will find that your dollar buys real value. Do be careful of the theives selling junk, however. For what ever reason, the used commercial machinery market has more than it's share.
However, if you pay the premium for an honest deal you could expect to get much of that back when done. Adding a thousand hours of light work to a good piece of commercial equipment is nothing.

And this may or may not appeal to you, but having a backhoe with a thumb is a great way to meet your neighbors.
rScotty

/ B or L series for MY needs #28  
Have you done the math?

Why not hire out the work.

Once property is graded out then maybe a smaller machine can provide the tools for maintenance.

/ B or L series for MY needs #29  
25 years ago I had a project with similar jobs as yours. Lots of dirt, gravel and stones to move. Rented a Bobcat skid steer for the heavy work... then finish landscaping, tilling etc. with a Bolens garden tractor. Didn’t get the BX 2200 until 2002 and now the B2650 in 2016. Both are capable of small projects with fel. But there is no way I’d do the landscaping you’re describing without a skid steer. Neighbor recently asked me about his landscaping project. I was not going to beat up the B on rock and dirt moving and grading his slope. He is renting a Bobcat instead. I’ll help him with tilling and breaking up compaction with a middle buster which a B or BX can handle easily.

Look at how the pros do it at the construction job sites. Backhoes and skid steers rule the day. Rent one and get the big job done faster then get B or BX for the rest.

/ B or L series for MY needs #30  
Hello,

I'm in the market for a tractor. I currently live in a subdivision and only have slightly less than a 1/2 acre. My house was built on a steep hill. I need to have a bunch of dirt (I have been quoted about $10,000 worth of fill dirt) to level off and taper the huge hill. So, my main use for the tractor will be moving dirt. I won't need to move it very far, but I need move a lot of it. I'll also use the tractor for landscaping, moving some rock, mulch, etc. This project will likely take me a year or two, so I'm not interested in renting equipment. I'd like to buy a used tractor and once I'm done with the project I would have the option to sell it if I have no need for it anymore. I have noticed that I can get an L series for as cheap, if not cheaper, than a B series. Would a B or L series suite me better? Is the resale value better on one over the other? How much more stable would a B series, if any, on hilly terrain? I appreciate your suggestions!

I understand exactly what your saying, its how I do most of my projects,,,, a little bit at a time as time or coin are available. Any ground engagement tasks are best tackled with the heaviest machine one can afford. A BX will do more than folks give it credit for if your not in a hurry (check ytube), a B a little faster, and an L even faster. If your set on owning the machine I would forgo the B, a B2650 priced against an L2501 is so close and the L is more working tractor for similar money, it just not as fancy. Now I think an L on a half an acre for normal maintenance is excessive overkill to the point that you will find it useless. Good luck with you decision!