B7800 front axle leaking

/ B7800 front axle leaking #1  

twodogs

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I have a B7800 that has been leaking hydraulic fluid from the front axle. I had it in to the dealer a few times, and it is still leaking.

The first visit was a seal replacement, and it leaked within a day or two or getting it home.

They took it back and put a 'speedy sleeve's in, and it leaked again. They also overfilled it with fluid, so I drained some, and put it away for the winter.

It started leaking again, but health issues put me out of commission for several minutes months, and now I am dealing with it again. The dealer now tells me that I need a new front axle case, brackets, seals, etc. for the total of about $2500...

I am a homeowner with a small farm. It has about 1600 hours on it, most of which is cutting grass or running a brush hog.

Does this seem premature? I bought this new 18 years ago, and it has been well cared for throughout it's life. Fluids have been changed religiously, and it has been garage/barn kept. I'm a bit perplexed - maybe I had unreasonable expectations when I bought it.

Thanks for your insight.

/ B7800 front axle leaking #2  
just curious if you are running the UDT oil in the axle or gear oil, if UDT I would try the heavier gear oil. Gear Oil is what I run in my b7800

/ B7800 front axle leaking
I have run the Kubota Super UDT in my tractor.

/ B7800 front axle leaking #4  
What I am hearing is 18 years, 1600 hours, and you are using the proper light oil in the front axle. IIf you have a FEL on it. I'm not surprised that it is time for outer seals and maybe bearings on the output side of the stub axles. Those parts get a lot of stress on small 4wd tractors.

I'd say It is not what we like, but it is not uncommon for some slight seepage at the ends of the axle even on tractors with less hours than yours. All the small to medium 4wd tractors are using that same front axle now that the original patent expired back around 1980. They are all very similar. The first thing to do is make sure that the axle vent is clear, that the oil level is right, and yes, it is common to go to a heavier - higher viscosity- gear lube once the seals start to seep. But heavier oil is a stopgap measure.

In my opinion as an old mechanic, those outer seals and bearings are pretty much routine maintenance. It isn't an expensive or difficult job. What you are saying makes me wonder about the shop doing the work. It is a simple job, but it is a job that needs a lot of careful assembly.

I'd chalk it up to experience, find yourself an old experienced mechanic, let him fix it... and it will be good for another few thousand hours.

rScotty

/ B7800 front axle leaking #5  
If it were mine, I would switch to gear oil and make sure the vent is open.
If that didn't solve the leak, decide what to do from there.

/ B7800 front axle leaking
Thanks! The dealership service manager admitted that the tech that worked on it last sucked, so it makes me wonder if they did more harm than good there.

I appreciate the advice.

/ B7800 front axle leaking #8  
My Ford 1310 used to have oil seal leak in the front axle, here is how I dealt with it (easy fix and it did not cost much):

Venting Leaky Ford 1310 Front Axle & switching to 85W-90 Gear Oil

As of yesterday no leaks 3.5 years later!
The reason that old mechanics keep harping on the vent is that some of those very similar front axles came vented and some did not. Regardless, they all need to be vented. If the front axle housing is not obviously vented, you can vent it by replacing the oil fill bolt with a vented version.

When the original bevel gear front axle came out in the mid 80's the manufacturer's reccomended oil was not consistenat. It varied from light weight to higher viscosity gear lube. Over the years, many mechanics started with the light weight and moved toward higher viscosity if&when the front axle seals started to seep.
rScotty

/ B7800 front axle leaking #9  

/ B7800 front axle leaking #10  
the factory vent on the B7800HSD

6C040-36070 PIPE, BREATHER​

Last edited: