Venting Leaky Ford 1310 Front Axle & switching to 85W-90 Gear Oil

/ Venting Leaky Ford 1310 Front Axle & switching to 85W-90 Gear Oil #1  

arto98607

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota F3060, Grasshopper 721D, Ford 1310, John Deere 440 ICD, John Deere 300
I have been using Universal Hydraulic oil (meets Ford 134 spec) in the transmission, hydraulics & front axle just like the manual recommends, but have been wondering if I should switch the front axle to 85W-90 GL 4 or 5 gear oil?

The 134 spec oil is pretty thin for the front axle and leaks easily...

I think Ford 1210, Ford 1320, Ford 1510, New Holland 1320, NH 1520 etc. are using very similar design front axles and would like to know what front axle oil others are using in those?

/ Venting Leaky Ford 1310 Front Axle & switching to 85W-90 Gear Oil #2  
Ford and NH compact tractors have always specified 134 in the front axles. Kubota and Kioti specify UTF or 80w-90 gear oil. Either will be ok in your 1310. Don’t expect the leak to disappear if you switch to gear oil.

/ Venting Leaky Ford 1310 Front Axle & switching to 85W-90 Gear Oil
Ford and NH compact tractors have always specified 134 in the front axles. Kubota and Kioti specify UTF or 80w-90 gear oil. Either will be ok in your 1310. Don稚 expect the leak to disappear if you switch to gear oil.

Thanks, yes there is only one way to repair the leak and I will do it this winter.

It's the bevel gear lower seal (item 15) in the enclosed drawing. I have done these in my F3060 which has very similar design except smaller.

View attachment FRONT AXLE, (NH-NA) W_4WD, 1310, 1510.pdf

Last edited:
Ford and NH compact tractors have always specified 134 in the front axles. Kubota and Kioti specify UTF or 80w-90 gear oil. Either will be ok in your 1310. Don稚 expect the leak to disappear if you switch to gear oil.

Bump

Update, it's been awhile!

Instead of replacing the seals I have been monitoring this slow front axle oil leak and came to conclusion that it is a combination of worn bevel gear lower seal (item 15) in the enclosed drawing, and a pressure buildup inside the axle due to no venting whatsoever.

Pressure buildup is caused due to heating while operating and change in outside temperature.

In order to eliminate pressure buildup in the axle I made a new "venting dipstick" to replace the OEM dipstick (item 63).

The vent is a John Deere item JD5801 which is a "one way vent" or a pressure relief valve and it's easy to find them for few bucks on Amazon or eBay etc.

I have installed these JD vents on my JD 413 brush hog and Ford 917L flail mower gearboxes for the same reason.

IMG_4413 II.jpg
IMG_4417.1.jpg

Attachments

• FRONT AXLE, (NH-NA) W_4WD, 1310, 1510-1.pdf
    218.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Well it's been two years since switching to 85W-90 gear oil & addition of vent as described above.

Ford 1310 front axle has not since leaked any oil!

Thinking.jpg

Last edited:
   / Venting Leaky Ford 1310 Front Axle & switching to 85W-90 Gear Oil #6  
Great post and creative resolution for the front axle seal leak.

I have a similar situation, my Simplicity Legacy XL 4WD front axle seals started leaking in the typical location on both the left and right sides just below and behind each wheel. About 700 hours on the unit. Unfortunately, oem seal kit parts through the dealer network are non-existent since Simplicity went **** up.

Tuff Torq front axle parts seems to be my last resort.

Until i can acquire the correct seals and complete a repair, i like your temporary fix. The vent fitting you used looks to be about the same size as the plastic fitting/dipstick used on the Tuff Torq front axle on my Legacy XL.

How did you go about creating that vented dipstick? I'd like to give it a shot.

The Legacy XL calls for 80W90 gear oil for the front axle. I am contemplating using the thicker 85W140 gear oil along with Bar's Leaks Axle and Differential Gear Repair lube and the vent you installed.

Last edited:
Great post and creative resolution for the front axle seal leak.

I have a similar situation, my Simplicity Legacy XL 4WD front axle seals started leaking in the typical location on both the left and right sides just below and behind each wheel. About 700 hours on the unit. Unfortunately, oem seal kit parts through the dealer network are non-existent since Simplicity went **** up.

Tuff Torq front axle parts seems to be my last resort.

Until i can acquire the correct seals and complete a repair, i like your temporary fix. The vent fitting you used looks to be about the same size as the plastic fitting/dipstick used on the Tuff Torq front axle on my Legacy XL.

How did you go about creating that vented dipstick? I'd like to give it a shot.

The Legacy XL calls for 80W90 gear oil for the front axle. I am contemplating using the thicker 85W140 gear oil along with Bar's Leaks Axle and Differential Gear Repair lube and the vent you installed.

Here it is in few steps:
  • First I figured which thread is in the factory dipstick and bought a same size & pitch metric bolt from a local hardware store.
  • Cut the bolt to a proper length and drilled hole right through the center in a small lathe - I suppose it could also be done in drill press if no lathe available.
  • Drilled a hole large enough to fit 1/4" steel rod for the dipstick. Dipstick was brazed on later.
  • Drilled just the top end of the 'bolt' to proper diameter for the threaded vent & tapped inside thread for the vent.
  • Drilled a small vent hole at an angle right into the area where the bottom of the vent will be (see post #4 above).
  • Large diameter plastic oil drain seal to seal the dipstick to the axle case.

I could have easily done it just by modifying the OEM dipstick similar way, but decided to leave it as is.

Cheers

/ Venting Leaky Ford 1310 Front Axle & switching to 85W-90 Gear Oil #8  
Here it is in few steps:
  • First I figured which thread is in the factory dipstick and bought a same size & pitch metric bolt from a local hardware store.
  • Cut the bolt to a proper length and drilled hole right through the center in a small lathe - I suppose it could also be done in drill press if no lathe available.
  • Drilled a hole large enough to fit 1/4" steel rod for the dipstick. Dipstick was brazed on later.
  • Drilled just the top end of the 'bolt' to proper diameter for the threaded vent & tapped inside thread for the vent.
  • Drilled a small vent hole at an angle right into the area where the bottom of the vent will be (see post #4 above).
  • Large diameter plastic oil drain seal to seal the dipstick to the axle case.

I could have easily done it just by modifying the OEM dipstick similar way, but decided to leave it as is.

Cheers
Great explanation. Thank you!

/ Venting Leaky Ford 1310 Front Axle & switching to 85W-90 Gear Oil #9  
Here's a link to Messicks explanation for what oil to use in front axle. ie. 80w90 is ok