B7800 - how big a rotary cutter will it handle?

/ B7800 - how big a rotary cutter will it handle? #1  

grahamu

Tractor
Kubota B7800
Hi all,

Well after much consideration I ordered a B7800 yesterday along with the LA402 FEL and a rotary cutter. And that is what prompts my question.

Previosuly I was going to buy a B7610 and was told by my dealer that a 48" cutter was the best fit. When I decided on the B7800 instead I asked him if it would now handle a 60" cutter and he wasn't overly keen (despite it being a larger sale for him) saying it would be marginal. So at present I have stuck with a 48" cutter for the B7800.

Can I ask please what are other people using on a B7800 - 48" or 60"? If there is any doubt I will stick with the 48" but if it would handle a 60" with no problems at all I'll probably switch.

Thanks,
Graham

/ B7800 - how big a rotary cutter will it handle?
Hi all,

Well after much consideration I ordered a B7800 yesterday along with the LA402 FEL and a rotary cutter. And that is what prompts my question.

Previosuly I was going to buy a B7610 and was told by my dealer that a 48" cutter was the best fit. When I decided on the B7800 instead I asked him if it would now handle a 60" cutter and he wasn't overly keen (despite it being a larger sale for him) saying it would be marginal. So at present I have stuck with a 48" cutter for the B7800.

Can I ask please what are other people using on a B7800 - 48" or 60"? If there is any doubt I will stick with the 48" but if it would handle a 60" with no problems at all I'll probably switch.

Thanks,
Graham

/ B7800 - how big a rotary cutter will it handle? #3  
Graham-
Congratulations on the B7800/LA402. I've had that setup for 2 years now and I am truly impressed with its power and manoeuverability.
I use a light duty 60" rotary cutter on my B7800 (it's a Thrifty Cutter made by M.K.Martin Enterprises in Elmira. Ontario). I hardly know it's on there. I use it mostly in heavy weeds and small bushes up to 1" diameter. The B7800 has no problem whatsoever handling it. Even if the cutting were to get heavy enough to bog down the engine (I've never had that happen), the great thing about the HST is that all you have to do is ease up on the ground speed.
I keep the loader on while cutting to balance the weight of the cutter. Also, the bucket down low not only keeps the center of gravity down but it can expose nasties like rocks and stumps before the cutter gets to them.
All in all, both power and balance-wise, I find the 60" cutter to be a good match for the B7800.

/ B7800 - how big a rotary cutter will it handle? #4  
Graham-
Congratulations on the B7800/LA402. I've had that setup for 2 years now and I am truly impressed with its power and manoeuverability.
I use a light duty 60" rotary cutter on my B7800 (it's a Thrifty Cutter made by M.K.Martin Enterprises in Elmira. Ontario). I hardly know it's on there. I use it mostly in heavy weeds and small bushes up to 1" diameter. The B7800 has no problem whatsoever handling it. Even if the cutting were to get heavy enough to bog down the engine (I've never had that happen), the great thing about the HST is that all you have to do is ease up on the ground speed.
I keep the loader on while cutting to balance the weight of the cutter. Also, the bucket down low not only keeps the center of gravity down but it can expose nasties like rocks and stumps before the cutter gets to them.
All in all, both power and balance-wise, I find the 60" cutter to be a good match for the B7800.

Thanks herringchoker,

I too would just go with a light duty but I was still surpised at the weight. My dealer stocks Landpride so the choice would be:

48" - RC1548 - 463 lbs
60" - RC1860 - 609 lbs

Thanks again,
Graham

Thanks herringchoker,

I too would just go with a light duty but I was still surpised at the weight. My dealer stocks Landpride so the choice would be:

48" - RC1548 - 463 lbs
60" - RC1860 - 609 lbs

Thanks again,
Graham

/ B7800 - how big a rotary cutter will it handle? #7  
I have a B7800 with a 402 FEL. It handles the Landpride 1860 with no problems . I don't think it wold work without the FEL as the wieght of the mower would be to much. The Fel is just enough wieght to hold the frontend down,as for the power, I've never bog it down. Works great!

/ B7800 - how big a rotary cutter will it handle? #8  
I have a B7800 with a 402 FEL. It handles the Landpride 1860 with no problems . I don't think it wold work without the FEL as the wieght of the mower would be to much. The Fel is just enough wieght to hold the frontend down,as for the power, I've never bog it down. Works great!

Thanks Ronzonie.

Graham

Thanks Ronzonie.

Graham