Tractor Sizing Backhoe Bucket Size

/ Backhoe Bucket Size #11  
Well, I have a bigger machine, but have completely stopped using my 12" bucket, for 2 reasons.

1. The bucket is so small it gets full of clay which will not empty, so I have to clear it out by hand every third time I take a scoop.

Have a friend who has a simple solution for this and it does work. I used a clevis to pin a chain to holes on the side of the bucket where side cutters are mounted if used. Ran the chain up and over the bucket mount and fastened it where it could not get in moving area of linkage or slip to one side. Chain needs to be long enough and mounted so when you are digging it will fall into the back of the bucket (don't worry, the dirt will push it there) but short enough so when you go to dump, rolling the bucket back wards pulls the chain at least near tight but clear of the bucket. Out pops the clay.

Was in clay this past Saturday and did not have the chain with me that I have been using. Got tired of that metal bar in about 32 seconds. As I did finish removing the clay was thinking more on the chain set up and realize cross chains would probably improve it. Sort of like snow chains (OK, never used snow chains, but that type of design).

If you don't have any holes in the side of your bucket to use, guess you could drill them but you may also be able to just wrap the chain around the tooth and fasten tightly.

/ Backhoe Bucket Size #12  
I have tried them all on my 6" bucket, piece of chain, putting holes in it, using silicone, or Pam, etc. Nothing provided any real, or lasting benefit in clay.

One thing I realized, besides digging clay when the ground is dry: If the soil is sticking, the best way to get it to release, is to shake the bucket upward, (after you curl it), with the open side facing up. Using this technique, along with not trying to take really big bites, (that just packs it in tighter). I can dig at a reasonable speed, and avoid having to constantly get off the machine and clear the bucket.

Shaking it open side down, (when dumping it), is mostly futile. This actually packs it in tighter.

/ Backhoe Bucket Size #13  
Ray, will say all clay is not the same. Not being smart there at all. We have 2 or 3 types here. One very seldom sticks (this one is desired for road beds and such), one sticks if wet and when dry hard to dig and the pure grey gumbo...have not dug enough in it to know and hope never do. But for my use the chains have done very well. But do plan to add cross chains to improve it before back in the clay.

/ Backhoe Bucket Size #14  
I am in the midst of upgrading from a BX22 to a B2920 and would like to know what is the prefered BH Bucket size. My BX used a 12 inch which suited me for most of my applications however it didnt displace a lot of material (not that I am looking to dig a foundation). I mainly be using it for odd projects (i.e. trenching a water line, pulling stumps etc). I am looking to hear from others what are the pros / cons of each size?

I'd love to have a bigger BH bucket than the stock 12" that came with my BX25, but the dealer says no can do. Or is there an aftermarket source? Does anyone know?

/ Backhoe Bucket Size #15  
I'd love to have a bigger BH bucket than the stock 12" that came with my BX25, but the dealer says no can do. Or is there an aftermarket source? Does anyone know?

One of the companies selling Kubota BH buckets on ebay says they will take orders for other sizes.

I have a 16" and it is great for general excavation but I built a 9" for trenching water lines etc. where I don't need to remove so much dirt.

/ Backhoe Bucket Size #16  
My 12" bucket used to clog up with clay real bad. PITA to get out. No amount of shaking or whacking the ground would loosen it. Went to a 36" bucket and problem solved!

jb

/ Backhoe Bucket Size #17  
>>Jambx, if you start doing some grave digging, then you can add a bigger bucket, but I'd recommend starting with the 12".<<

I've got a 24" bucket on my 110TLB and could not imagine using anything smaller. This is the first backhoe I've ever used.

But it does depend on the job you want it to do.

/ Backhoe Bucket Size #18  
>>Jambx, if you start doing some grave digging, then you can add a bigger bucket, but I'd recommend starting with the 12".<<

I've got a 24" bucket on my 110TLB and could not imagine using anything smaller. This is the first backhoe I've ever used.

But it does depend on the job you want it to do.

Yeah, well your 110 is a heck of a lot bigger than a 2920. So bucket size also depends on the machine. :rolleyes: