Backhoe in Frozen Ground?

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #1  

kcfarm

I hope to purchase a Kubota mx5100 will loader and BH92 backhoe. Anyone know how well the backhoe would do digging in frozen ground? The reason I ask is I may try removing an island on my pond by driving the tractor to the island when the pond freezes over. Sound like a crazy idea?

Thanks.

island1.jpg

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #2  
Sounds like a real good way to sink the back hoe to me. Unless they are heavy duty they won't dig frozen ground. No way would I want to be on even 3 ft. of ice trying to dig frozen ground. The have a lot of power, ice cracks and breaks real easy.

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #3  
You'd be much better off draining the pond and diging out the island.

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #4  
No way, no how I would do that.

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #5  
It would go something like this. You drive out on solid frozen ice. You start digging out the island which creates a HOLE.The hole fills in with a rush of water and caves in the supporting previously solid earth which in turn weakens the ice UNDER your tractor. You then become a submarine.

Dig away, just make sure you're wearing a life vest. IMHO.

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #6  
Yes, bad idea.

Explosives maybe? For the island, not the tractor.

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #7  
No it will not dig it, bad idea all the way around.

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #8  
Come on, your pulling our leg right? Cause you'll loose your tractor and maybe your life!
Real Bad Idea!!!
DevilDog

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground?
Kinda figured it was a crazy idea, but figured I would ask... :laughing:

Island is a pain to maintain with weed growth and all. And it will probably be completely eroded in about 10 years or so. It used to be allot bigger. Kinda wanted to get it out now, but don't really have much options... May have to hand dig into a floating container and then pull to shore with tractor. I have thought about explosives, but that would put allot of the dirt into the rest of the pond.

I can only empty the pond by about 3 feet by breaking a dyke. The rest would need to be pumped. That would be allot of water to pump out as the pond is 2.5 acres and 9 feet deep.