Backhoe in Frozen Ground?

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #11  
Just let it go wild for habitat. Plant a couple of trees on it as well.

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #12  
I know what you mean, we have a peninsula in our 5 acre pond and it looks pretty ratty. It is close enough to shore that we will probably rent an excavator and dig it out this year. If it wasn't so scary to mow, it would look pretty good, but it is too dangerous to mow.

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #13  
Kinda figured it was a crazy idea, but figured I would ask... :laughing:

Island is a pain to maintain with weed growth and all. And it will probably be completely eroded in about 10 years or so. It used to be allot bigger. Kinda wanted to get it out now, but don't really have much options... May have to hand dig into a floating container and then pull to shore with tractor. I have thought about explosives, but that would put allot of the dirt into the rest of the pond.

I can only empty the pond by about 3 feet by breaking a dyke. The rest would need to be pumped. That would be allot of water to pump out as the pond is 2.5 acres and 9 feet deep.

Another possible option would be a pump and hose with nozzle, use it to erode the island into the pond. How deep below the surface do you want it?

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #14  
I think it is a great idea with you and your tractor and YouTube. I will watch from shore. Thanks for the entertainment!!!

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #15  
Is this for real ????????????????????????????????????????

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #16  
I've seen LARGE excavators with concrete breakers pounding on frozen ground to dig foundations in the winter. Took like 3 days for a job that would normally be 1/2 day max, including lunch break!

If you want the island gone, a drag line is one good way. Bring $

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #17  
Hmmm,
I've dug pet graves into mildly frozen soil, once through the frozen crust it was just like digging dirt - which is what it was.
The idea of leveling a large mass of dirt in the middle of a pond.... ~Flakey~

I might consider walking out there if/when the ice got REALLY THICK, even then I might want snow shoes.
I would be towing an ice fishing sled loaded with little red sticks that look a bit like road flares and a very long cable back to land - you get the idea ?

A better idea might be to wait (and/or pray) for a very long drought.

PS
An afterthought;
Depending where you are (location. location, location) and how hard things freeze.......
It MIGHT be possible to ferry hay bales out there by boat before the freeze.
A couple of feet of hay insulation COULD prevent the ground from freezing, but you would still have to know that the ice can support your tractor and that your tractor can climb up frozen banks.
You MIGHT be able to lower some of the island this way, assuming you stack the hay higher and somehow go back for it by boat.
Are you thinking that you would just push the dirt out onto the ice and let it sink when the thaw comes ?
It will pick up sun quite quickly.

Hint/clue south facing banks that see a lot of sunlight thaw quicker.
If your line to/from the island is north/south you have a south facing bank, either at the island or where you come from & return to.

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #18  
A new MX5100??? No way. I was on ice once with my B20 in February years ago on a lake and it scared the he!! out of me. Never again. What about just getting some ducks and letting them enjoy the safety of the island?

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #19  
I've seen LARGE excavators with concrete breakers pounding on frozen ground to dig foundations in the winter. Took like 3 days for a job that would normally be 1/2 day max, including lunch break!

They quit that nonsense years ago around here. Not only is it hard on the equipment, but you essentially end up digging out huge chunks of frozen soil. It makes a mess to pile up on site, and difficult to truck away.

We have several of these that stay busy all winter long. Lay out the hose, cover it with insulating blankets, and let the boiler do the thawing work. I don't know how much the construction laborers like them, because now site work goes year-round. Crews used to get to look forward to winters off....

images

When they're not being used to thaw frozen ground for excavation, they're utilized for curing concrete either by laying the hose out on top of the new pour, or by tie-wrapping Pex tubing to the rebar before a pour and setting the boiler temp control to the desired curing temp to keep the entire slab warm from the inside out. If they're not doing any of those things, then a heat exchanger with a blower fan can be connected to the boiler to provide interior heating.

:thumbsup:

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #20  
I can only empty the pond by about 3 feet by breaking a dyke. The rest would need to be pumped. That would be allot of water to pump out as the pond is 2.5 acres and 9 feet deep.

you'd be suprised at how fast a good pump could empty a pond that size, maybe check into renting/borrow one?