Backhoe in Frozen Ground?

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #31  
How far is the island from shore? A very large excavator might be able to reach out and get it.

I thought of that too, but it would be well over 150 feet.

I like the dynamite idea... nothing like blowing something up to put you in a good mood.
:p :eek: :eek:

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #32  
How about using a water pump and hose to erode the island, just wash it away? That will be a lot safer than going BOOM.

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground?
The island is about 80 feet from the shore line. The pond is long, 600 feet long, not a round circle. Not sure if that is too far, sure sounds it.

I live in Canandaigua, NY, so it can get quite cold for a solid month or so.

I'm getting good constructive advise now, so that's good. The hay is a great idea and driving on the island to remove half at a time is a good idea too. If I dropped the water level by 3 feet, I would never be digging below the level of the ice, so the tractor would always be atleast part way on the island. And the ice would always be supported by the island.

People race cars on iced over lakes up here....

Thanks.

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #34  
Really, dynamite would be the way to go. You have to have it done by a licensed professional. Very safe if done right. Invite neighbors over, bring a 6 pak of good ol Genesee beer and lawn chairs, it will be a blast.
I'm just an old cowboy but that's what I'd do.

/ Backhoe in Frozen Ground? #35  
long reach excavator parked up to the house in the water (break through the ice); or wait till the ice melts, and reach over and dig the island out