Backhoe Backhoe won't move

/ Backhoe won't move #11  
Eddie's right if it was fluid in should at least move a bit. So the button on the gear shift operates the clutch solenoid check it's allowing the clutch to engage, and that the shuttle is actually working like Eddie said as well.I'll look at my service manual today and see if I can come up with something I can help you with.

/ Backhoe won't move #12  
The transmission filter on that machine is in behind the starter and can be difficult to find it's smaller that the hydraulic filter which you access from under the hoe.

/ Backhoe won't move
My neighbor came over this morning and he picked the whole machine off the ground, put it in gear and the wheels turned, even sped up when hem mashed on the accelerator. He fooled with it some more and it quit again. We can hear a light buzzing sound under the joy stick for the loader, don't know what that is. It's the same buzzer when you turn the key to the right but not to the stat position but lower tone. We checked the transmission fluid and it was very high and a milky green color. I bought 20 gallons of transmission fluid, hydraulic filter and the transmission filter this morning. Will change fluid and filter tomorrow. You were right, the transmission filter was hard to locate but I found it. Will replace both filters with WIX filters. There is another problem and I guess this could be related, only one brake works. I had talked to the case people and they said it was most likely some Orings went bad on the brake piston and that fluid either from the transmission or the hydraulic system (can't remember) is passing into the other system. I plan on having this fixed before too much longer.

Kenny

/ Backhoe won't move
Billrog, where is this screen that needs to be pulled and cleaned? Is it behind a little cover plate that has two small bolts at the bottom of the transmission or is it on. Line somewhere?

/ Backhoe won't move #15  
My neighbor came over this morning and he picked the whole machine off the ground, put it in gear and the wheels turned, even sped up when hem mashed on the accelerator. He fooled with it some more and it quit again. We can hear a light buzzing sound under the joy stick for the loader, don't know what that is. It's the same buzzer when you turn the key to the right but not to the stat position but lower tone. We checked the transmission fluid and it was very high and a milky green color. I bought 20 gallons of transmission fluid, hydraulic filter and the transmission filter this morning. Will change fluid and filter tomorrow. You were right, the transmission filter was hard to locate but I found it. Will replace both filters with WIX filters. There is another problem and I guess this could be related, only one brake works. I had talked to the case people and they said it was most likely some Orings went bad on the brake piston and that fluid either from the transmission or the hydraulic system (can't remember) is passing into the other system. I plan on having this fixed before too much longer.

Kenny

Maybe a relay thats buzzing?

/ Backhoe won't move #16  
Kenny unless the filter is full of crap don't be concerned about the screen I pulled it out once on mine and it was clean as a whistle. I'd have to look at my Hoe to figure out where it is again. As for the buzzer it may be the emergency brake when the handle linkage gets warn you have to wiggle it to stop the buzzer often.
Also I can't remember if the screen is for the tran. or the hydraulics.

Last edited:
   / Backhoe won't move
Got the transmission oil drained and the new filter installed. Got to tell ya it must of been He-Man that put that filter on. Had to use a huge pair of pliers and then use a 2' cheater to break the filter free. Plus where Case put the filter, they didn't want anyone to walk by and take it off. LOL. The oil was really funky. How is the fluid level support to be checked - with the engine running and warm or engine not running? The oil level was very high when I checked it just before I drained it and the engine was not running. I'll leave the oil out until I find here the screen is I'm suppose to clean.

/ Backhoe won't move #18  
2wd tran refill capacity 11.9 lt. 4wd refill capacity 14.4 lt. this is with or without filter change.Then park on level ground and check with engine running.Any where between the add and full mark is good. The M has no screen to worry about it was my K model that had one. To the right and behind the trans filter there's a breather for the trans. it's suppose to be taken out and cleaned with solvent every 1,000 hrs.
As for the alarm engine oil low,engine temp. high, park brake on and you move the direction control lever, or you turn the seat when the control lever is engaged.
The only thing I can find on the direction control lever electric circuit is that it has a feature that allows you to move the machine a short distance in the event that the control lever receives intermittent signals that shift the tran into neutral. By shifting the lever in the opposite direction you wish to travel and back again it will engage for 5 sec. ONLY for emergency use. So I would trace the circuit that deals with this maybe a fuse or a relay or a mouse problem.

/ Backhoe won't move #19  
Took the cover off behind the steering wheel and there are 2 shuttle relays, 2 clutch relays and a forward and backward one maybe 1 of the shuttle relays is faulty ?

/ Backhoe won't move
OK, have some more information. When I drained the transmission, it only looked like about 5 gal of oil came out, should be 14 or 15 gal. I filled the transmission this morning amid it only took about 4 gallons. I'm confused what didn't I drain? I just removed the plug on the very bottom of the transmission.

After filling transmission with new oil I started the backhoe and let it warm up a few minutes. I raised all four tires off the ground, put in gear and pushed the shuttle shift to forward position and the wheels started turning. Put in reverse and the wheels turned backwards. Put back in forward and left it running there for about 20 minutes to warm up the oil in the transmission and to circulated the fresh oil. Went through all the gears and checked both forward and reverse, all worked. I thought all right it's fixed - it's not.
, the wheels quit moving. Shut engine off waited a few minutes then restarted, working again. Lowered backhoe onto the wheels. Tried moving backwards, it did, tried forward, it did. Great. Backed out from barn and started working with the fel just to see if it was doing OK. Wheels quit moving again. Stopped engine the immediately restarted then tried moving nothing. Shut off engine foe about 5 minutes then started and the wheels moving again. This repeats it self several times, it works for a very few minutes then quits. Stop engine for 5 minuets and it worked again but only for another very few minutes. I'm about to pull my hair out. What the heck is going on. I'm fixing to go check the transmission vent as suggested before then I'm going to pull up the floor board to see if I see wiring problems on top of the transmission.

I pulled and checked all the fuses yesterday, found 3 that needed replacing. I pulled the cover under the joy stick this morning, cleaned out a rats nest but didn't see any more wires chewed. I did find the buzzer that is going off while the shuttle is in gear, it's not the same one that sounds when the key is turned to on. This buzzer is down low almost to the platform.

Hopes this new information will someone a clue what's happening. Thanks again.

Kenny