Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #21  
My main use for the cameras will be to watch the outside edges of the batwing. I've never had a backup camera, so I'm hoping for as much insight from all of you.

When I get on my tractor, I adjust my mirrors so I can see the mower. With the mirrors adjusted, I can only see the outside edge of the mower when going straight, so even when the mirrors are in the right position, I'm limited in what they show me.

It doesn't take much for the mirrors to get moved. Then I just keep on mowing without the mirrors because I don't want to stop and adjust them every time I touch a branch with them.

My thinking is that if I had a camera back there, I could see how close I am to what I'm mowing and either get closer, or do a quick panic stop and not hit anything.

I have several WYZE camera's in my house, but my wife is the one who monitors them. We have them set up to watch our dogs in different areas of the house and out in the yard. I really like them, but it's not what I'm wanting for my tractor.

Thank you for the links, I'll probably chose from one of them.
I recommend the one I posted - I recently bought a different highly recommended unit for my car and was disappointed in the picture quality. Plus the 2 view toggle switch is very cool. Good luck and enjoy the modifications.

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #22  
Eddie,

I had the exact same issue with side mirrors on my tractor.

I went with the "take them off and leave them on a shelf forever" method.

I just turn and look behind me when I need to. Most of the time, I'm mowing straight ahead, and I "know" where the mower is. But it's a 3pt mower, not a trail behind batwing.

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #23  
I bought my first cab tractor last year, and I really love everything about it except the mirrors sticking out the sides. I try hard to avoid hitting branches with the cab, but I'm not so good at not hitting branches with the mirrors. It seems like every time I go out to mow with my 12 foot batwing, my mirrors end up out of whack and pretty much useless. Several times they get bent back so I can't open the door to get out until I get the arm of the mirror pushed forward again. This can be very difficult when I can only open the door a few inches.

I'm thinking about removing the mirrors and putting them on a shelf to sit for all eternity.

I've never had a backup camera, but it seems to me that it would be better then the mirrors for seeing what the mower is doing, and how close I'm getting to things like the fence, trees and the edge of my pond.

The only place that I've looked at backup cameras is on Amazon. They have a lot to chose from, but since I've never had one before, I don't really know what to look for, or which brands are better.

What do you have and why do you like or hate it?

What should I be looking at when making my decision on what to buy?

Thanks
I've installed many backup cameras on various vehicles. I have found that a camera is a camera. They are all about the same except for the field of view. My tractor came with a backup camera in the cab, but it actually broke. (well I broke it in tree limbs). I just purchased (2) back seat baby monitor sets in a flash sale at $10.00 each. The fact that they are 12 volt got my attention. (many cameras are different voltages requiring an adapter.) I'll install one up very high in the front of my cab so I can see the loader bucket and forks. The other will be inside the back of my cab so I can reach back and move it to show behind me or point it down to see my 3-point when hooking up to implements.

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #24  
I know they were testing mirrorless trucks and replacing them with cameras instead. I would imagine it's something along this same lines? These are supposedly designed for the side vs the front or rear at center. And less likely to catch a branch. Never tried these, so I don't have a review or any thoughts honestly. But I'm sure there could be better and worse designed ones to try?

PARKVISION Mini Car Side View Camera/Rear View Camera/Front View Camera with Rotatable Lens,Paste Installation,Upside Down Flip Image Function Without Guideline Amazon.com

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #25  
I push mine forward so they are about even with pillars on each side and then angle the mirrors from there. Since I won’t be driving between anything as tight as the corners of the glass, they tend to stay there. Occasionally in heavily wooded areas they might catch a branch but not nearly as often as when they are stuck way out on both sides. They really only need to be really far out when you need to watch an implement you’re pulling.

Last edited:
   / Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #26  
I bought my first cab tractor last year, and I really love everything about it except the mirrors sticking out the sides. I try hard to avoid hitting branches with the cab, but I'm not so good at not hitting branches with the mirrors. It seems like every time I go out to mow with my 12 foot batwing, my mirrors end up out of whack and pretty much useless. Several times they get bent back so I can't open the door to get out until I get the arm of the mirror pushed forward again. This can be very difficult when I can only open the door a few inches.

I'm thinking about removing the mirrors and putting them on a shelf to sit for all eternity.

I've never had a backup camera, but it seems to me that it would be better then the mirrors for seeing what the mower is doing, and how close I'm getting to things like the fence, trees and the edge of my pond.

The only place that I've looked at backup cameras is on Amazon. They have a lot to chose from, but since I've never had one before, I don't really know what to look for, or which brands are better.

Thanks
The ones on Amazon are cheap for a reason. They are mostly junk; don’t have very good optics, cameras with fisheye lenses that don’t provide a good picture for any distance.
The (expensive) ones from the tractor dealers and some of the online camera companies are okay. I’ve tried them all.

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #27  
The roof on my Kubota is so incredibly thin and flimsy that I'd be very worrried if I were constantly hitting my mirrors enough to fold them. If I hit my mirrors I'm too close to something.

I had the roof off in order to locate a wire for the radio when I first got it. Couldn't believe how light (weight) it was. Ever since I've been VERY concerned about even brushing up under limbs. It's just not beefy enough to survive hits from much of anything without cracking or breaking. Really wish the Kubota cab roofs were made out of something stronger as I view this as poor design and a notable weak point about their cab tractors.

If you take off the mirrors, will you be hitting your glass instead?

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #28  

Thanks
I bought a $60 backup camera off Amazon, and it was worthless. Terrible resolution. Pay more for a better quality unit.

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor
I spent some time on Amazon looking at what they had available, what had the most stars and positive reviews, and decided on this one. It's a little more money then some of the others, and I have no idea if it's worth the extra money or not, but it's on the way and should be here tomorrow.

With tax, it came to $140.71

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #30  
I have had a couple of cheaper cameras and have not been happy with them,
these cost more but they work and have a quality picture and hold up.
This has a 9" monitor and an 18 hour battery for the wireless camera, I can plce the battery and camera any place that has steel and see what I want to. No wires or cables of any kind for the camera and a simple plug in power for the monitor.
1692713204975.png